bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul?  (Read 4440 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Paul?
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

Anyone know about how old, is believed, was Paul when he died?  Any references?

Craig

Kat

Re: Paul?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »

Hi Craig,

Here are a couple of excerpts from dictionaries on my E-Sword.

Smith's Bible Dictionary -----------------------------

Paul was born in Tarsus, a city of Cilicia.  (It is not improbable that, he was born between A.D. 0 and A.D. 5).

Second imprisonment at Rome. A.D. 65-67. -- The apostle appears now, to have been treated, not as an honorable state prisoner, but as a felon, 2Ti_2:9, but he was allowed to write the second letter to Timothy, A.D. 67. For what remains, we have the concurrent testimony of ecclesiastical antiquity, that he was beheaded at Rome, by Nero, in the great persecutions of the Christians, by that emperor, A.D. 67 or 68.

Fausset's Bible Dictionary ------------------------

DATES. Paul left Caesarea in the autumn of A.D. 60, for that is the date of Festus' accession. In the spring of 61 he reached Rome, stayed two whole years to the spring of 63; his death was in 67 (Eusebius), or 68 (Jerome). He was two years at Caesarea, which dating back gives A.D. 58 as the date of his last visit to Jerusalem at Pentecost. Previously he wintered at Corinth (Act_20:2-3). He left Ephesus for Corinth therefore at the end of 57, and his three years' stay brings us back to 54 for its commencement. Previously he was some time at Antioch (Act_18:23); a hasty visit to Jerusalem; his second missionary tour, including one year and a half at Corinth; a stay at Antioch; third visit to Jerusalem, generally fixed at a.D. 50 or 51; the "long" stay at Antioch (Act_14:28); first missionary tour; stay at Antioch (Act_12:25; Act_13:1).
The second visit to Jerusalem synchronizes with Herod Agrippa's death, A.D. 44. Dating "14 years" (Gal_2:1) back from 50 or 51 (his third visit to Jerusalem) brings to 37 or 38 for his conversion, after which he spent three years in Arabia and Damascus down to his first visit to Jerusalem, A.D. 40 or 41. Between this and the second visit (44 or 45) probably he spent two or three years at Tarsus (Act_9:30) and one year at Antioch (Act_11:26). At Stephen's martyrdom Paul was "a young man," perhaps A.D. 33. If he was 30 at conversion he would be at death upward of 60, and through hardships older in constitution than years. Allowing the interval between the first and second imprisonments to be four years, he was now four years older than when he called himself "Paul the aged" (Phm_1:9). Ardent, tenderly sensitive, courteous, fearless, enduring, full of tact and versatility, intellectual and refined, above all, single in aim, exercising himself always to have a conscience void of offense toward God and man, at the same time becoming all things to all men that by all means he might win some, he not only preached but lived Christ as the source and end of his whole being. In short, his spirit is fully expressed in Gal_2:20; Phi_1:21-23; Phi_2:17; Phi_3:7-14.
------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:25:09 PM by Kat »

Ninny

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:02:19 PM »

So does that mean he was in his late 60's when he died? I'm not to good with all those dates! Interesting That's something I never thought about! :-\
Kathy  :)

Kat

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »

Hi Kathy,

Smith has Paul born at 0 - 5 A. D. and died at 67 - 68 A. D.  My calculation puts Paul at 62 - 68 years old when he died.

Fausset says "upwards of" or more than and in excess of[/i] 60.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:48:51 AM by Kat »

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »

thanks kat for the history lesson. i always thought that when he referred to himself as "paul the aged" that he was much older than his mid to late sixties. but as it said, he was much older in his constitution than he was in years. his body suffered greatly for his Christ. i also don't think i ever knew that he was beheaded. what a sacrifice of praise was his body and his spirit.

claudia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.