bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discernment & Trolls  (Read 7691 times)

hillsbororiver

Discernment & Trolls
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »

1Tim 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

2Tim 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

2Tim 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup (or forum, message board etc.) gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

http://www.flayme.com/troll/#What

Peace and Discernment,

Joe

meee

Re: Discernment & Trolls
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »

Hey Joe,
           I learned another something just now.    Very interesting!
                   thanks, meee

Marky Mark

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »

Joe,when fishing for walleye on Lake Erie ;D, "trolling" is the only way to go :D. Yum,Yum.

Peace...Mark

firefly77

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »

Joe,
Thanks for the information... an eye opener indeed. I suppose the best way to handle a troll is to not respond at all; they might just magically disappear :D.
Good stuff!

Ninny

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »

That's just weird! I sense that we've encountered a troll or two here...hmmm
Kathy :-\

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »

Hey Joe,
           I learned another something just now.    Very interesting!
                   thanks, meee

Hi meee,

You are very welcome!

Joe,when fishing for walleye on Lake Erie ;D, "trolling" is the only way to go :D. Yum,Yum.

Peace...Mark

Hi Mark, you bring back some great old memories from my days growing up a few miles from Lake Ontario,

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for the information... an eye opener indeed. I suppose the best way to handle a troll is to not respond at all; they might just magically disappear :D.
Good stuff!

Hi firefly,

This is so true, it is attention, not answers they seek.

Peace,

Joe

There have been many through the years dear Sister,

Joe

Samson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Joe,
Good stuff!

Good Thread Joe,

Angie, when the above you mentioned is perceived by us, that is precisely a good approach
                        on our part, it's not rude, abusive, sarcastic or unloving, it might just discourage the continuation
                        of these types of Posts. Debates don't build up, they just tear down, they don't do the debater
                        or the debatee any good Spiritually or emotionally. At least that's true, in my case.

I've got better things to do, Samson.  ;)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »

Should this not be our prayer as well when confronted with conflicting emotions?

1Kings 3

7And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

8And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

9Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

10And the speech pleased the LORD, that Solomon had asked this thing.

11And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »

Joe,
Good stuff!

Good Thread Joe,

Angie, when the above you mentioned is perceived by us, that is precisely a good approach
                        on our part, it's not rude, abusive, sarcastic or unloving, it might just discourage the continuation
                        of these types of Posts. Debates don't build up, they just tear down, they don't do the debater
                        or the debatee any good Spiritually or emotionally. At least that's true, in my case.

I've got better things to do, Samson.  ;)

Amen!

Peace,

Joe

bunnylife

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »

Yes, trolls are on board. I seen what they have done on other different type of forums. Very disruptive and the thread usually ends up getting locked or deleted when discernment was not used.

Joe has given us good advice and wisdom.

Peace & Joy,
Bunni

southland

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:02:16 AM »

What sound advice :)

Thankyou Joe and everyone above

Matt

Astrapho

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »

Been one myself, but it's not for attention... Sometimes I see people posting stuff so stupid it's epic in other forums (especially roleplaying ones) and I can't help but barge in to troll just to get a few laughs out of how they'll respond. :P (Such as the time I played a walking table in a gifted roleplay filled with emo people with a gazillion powers... But I think I've digressed enough.)

But seriously, I didn't know the bible even talked about trolls. Guess I should stop any form of trolling from now on. D:

Roy Coates

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »

bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 17 queries.