bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flesh and profit/ email  (Read 4660 times)

Marky Mark

Flesh and profit/ email
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »

Came across this email from Ray on an older post by Chris R. I have not seen this particular email,so I thought that I would post it to the board for all to view.

If I'm being redundant,sorry.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html

Hello all,

Thankyou so much for your responces, below is the letter I received from Ray.

Chris R

Dear Chris

Sometimes familiar words have a way of prejudicing our minds. In a Scripture such as these where our Lord states that "the flesh PROFITS nothing," and we feel immediately that, why sure it does, isn't that the whole purpose of our physical life, existence, and experience? To be PROFITED by the whole thing?  Yes, but that is not specifically what Jesus is stating.

Jesus did not say that there is no value to our physical experience. What He said was that the experience itself is NOT THE PROFIT ITSELF.

I am sure that most read this verse thinking Jesus said this: "...the flesh PRODUCES nothing." As though nothing valuable comes out of our experience in the flesh, when that is deciedly not what Jesus is saying.

The word translated "profits" is from the Greek word "apheleo" and has a primary meaning of "BENEFIT."  It is virtually allways translated with a negative connotation:

"what is a man PROFITED, if he gain the whole world..." (Matt. 16:26

"Pilate sat that he could PREVAIL nothing..." (Matt. 27:24).

"and was nothing BETTERED, but rather..." (Mark 5:26).

"...the flesh PROFITS nothing...." (John 6:63).

"Perceive you how you PREVAIL nothing.." (John 12:19).

"For what is a man ADVANTAGED...." (Luke 9:25).

"...it PROFITS me nothing..." (I Cor. 13:3).

"...the word preached did not PROFIT them" (Heb. 4:2).

"...which did not PROFIT them...." (Heb. 13:9).

Next notice that even Christ Himself does not profit some:

"Christ shall PROFIT you nothing...." (Gal. 5:2).

And so what Jesus is clearly stating here is that the FLESH (or any of the other things mentioned above including Christ Himself),  are not in and by themselves a BENEFIT (profit) to us until others facts PRODUCE those BENEFITS.

This is why Jesus asked: "What is a man PROFITED if he shall gain the whole world [lost of flesh], and lose his own soul?" (Matt. 16:25).

There is no PROFIT/BENEFIT in the flesh itself, only what comes OUT OF IT.  And once you are OUT OF IT (as out of the world), the world is of NO profit/benefit to you.

Maybe our biggest spiritual example of this is: "Come OUT of her, My people...." (Rev. 18:4).  If there is "profit" to be had from being IN Babylon, then perhaps we should all go BACK IN?  No, Babylon is about as fleshly and worldly as anything could ever be, and Babylon BENEFITS NOTHING, so "Come OUT OF HER My people...." The BENEFITS are IN CHRIST, OUT OF Babylon, out of the flesh and the world.

Hope this helps your understanding,

God be with you,

Ray

Peace...Mark

mharrell08

Re: Flesh and profit/ email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »

Came across this email from Ray on an older post by Chris R. I have not seen this particular email,so I thought that I would post it to the board for all to view.

If I'm being redundant,sorry.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html

Peace...Mark

Actually this email is found under 'More of Ray's teachings' here: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7500.0.html

It's a good read for subjects that initially caused some thorough discussion on the board but eventually Ray taught on the matters.

Marques

Amrhrasach

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

Mark, thank you.    Coincidentally, just yesterday afternoon I was reading LOF part 4,5&6 and the "flesh profits nothing" kept playing in my mind over and over afterwards.   So, good timing, good stuff, needed stuff.

Gary

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

Marques,thanks for the added link 8).Can you say retention disorder :D.

Gary,is it not amazing sometimes when our minds ask a question and low and behold the Spirit gives us the answers into our inquiries :).

Peace...Mark

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »

Great Post Mark!
A good reminder!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.