bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: An invitation to forum musicians  (Read 29250 times)

Roy Martin

Re: An invitation to forum musicians
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »

I can't count the times that I was moved while listening to the music while I was in Babylon. Many times it would almost bring me to my knees. Just listening to Gods creation of music and praising Him at the same time was always a wonderful feeling. Times I would have tears of joy, times it was tears of sorrow for my sins. I use to get more out of the music than I did the sermon. Music has a way of opening our hearts to God in several ways. I don't know about anyone else but I would rather my children be at something like the video in the church than out there in the world doing drugs or whooping it up at a worldly rock concert.
Look at these people with there hands in the air. The young people were always a sight to see while the music was playing. They feel no shame at all. They get down to worshiping God with music. I always thought it was a blessing to watch these young people while the adults usually just stand there, maybe clap their hands from time to time. Ashamed to open their heart and let the spirit move them.
 Music is good and should be enjoyed. I don't know what the light shows are about, but I like that too. It gets distracting sometimes, but I don't think its bad in any way. Just colorful.
 Just sharing some thoughts and feelings and saying something good for a change about what is going on in the church building. I know that God is there too. He might not dwell there, but He is there working in people and through them.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:02:59 PM by Roy Martin »

Ninny

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »

Roy,
You are right I too have been very blessed by the worship and when a worship team is into worshiping God there is no comparison! I have been to these things, too. The church I left has an awesome worship team. We should never minimize what God is doing in any of these places it is for us to be what God wants us to be!! I have seen the young people on their knees worshiping God. He is in control of everything! We may have been "called out", but God uses every effort to bring glory to Himself!! We have to be sensitive to all these things...
Kathy ;)

BTW I did enjoy that video!

Roy Martin

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

Hi Kathy,
I modified and added another link of the same band as you were viewing the other. I love that song, You Called My Name. Check it out.

Roy

Ninny

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »

Roy, I loved it!! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that! Such truth!
Kathy :)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »

Is there something wrong with this.? The light show, the lyrics. I ask because I don't know.

You asked, so I'm answering.   :)

A couple of weeks ago, there was a blues festival in a nearby town.  I'm not a blues 'historian', but I do love the stuff.  My younger sister asked me if I would like to go with her and her husband (babylonians both) to a concert on a sunday night...which happened to be the last night of this blues festival.  The name of the act was Big Daddy Weaves (as best as I remember).  I'd never heard of 'him', but it sounded like a blues act to me!  My sister also knew the 'promoter' and was determined that I meet him--in order to advance my musical career, I'm certain.   

They came and picked me up, and it took a few minutes for it to sink into my brain that we were NOT heading to the blues-fest as I had thought, but were instead headed to a church for a concert of contemporary Christian music--not at all unlike what was in your You-tube links. 

I was disappointed, but felt sure I would survive the experience.   ;)  I don't think I was intentionally misled, just confused.

We got there about a half-hour before the concert started, and the atmostphere was pleasant.  I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I did NOT belong there, but that didn't mean I needed to escape.  I was happy for the aisle seat just in case they started singing the praises of Satan and the justice of eternal torment, or attacking the soveriegnty of God

We got a paper handout since it was a sunday night and this 'concert' replaced whatever this church ordinarily did on sunday nights.  What caught my eye was the advertisements.  Essentially, the concert was sponsored by several local and regional businesses (including some quite large ones).  It was also promoted by a local christian radio station.  So...even before it started, I had the impression that this was simply an imiatation of 'the world' dressed up in christian clothes. 

There were two acts involved...this Big Daddy outfit and a local band that opened for them.  I got myself prepped to either enjoy or leave in protest, whichever came first.  The first band got started, the music began and the bandmembers began to join in to bring the crowd to attention.

Then it happened.  The leader of the first act began to urge everybody to their feet.  He said, as best I can remember to quote him, "You can't worship sitting down!", he said.  "At least that's what I think."

At that moment, the words of Christ came to my mind. 

Joh 4:22  Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In my spirit, I rebuked that young man.  Oh, for the strength to stand up one day and preach this!  'Just because you play a guitar does not give you the right to contradict the words of Christ.  I don't 
care what you think.  Jesus said the hour is coming and NOW IS that neither in this mountain NOR in Jerusalem will we worship the Father.  How much LESS whether we sit or stand, clap or fold our hands, laugh or cry, are exuberant or still.  NEITHER are right or wrong.  BOTH are WORTHLESS in and of themselves.  If we don't worship in Spirit and Truth we cannot say we are worshipping.'

"You can't worship sitting down...at least that's what I think."  Man, that statement sums up so much of what is wrong with churchianity.

That theme continued through both bands sets, with occasional wisdom peeking through otherwise near constant musical, lyrical, and spoken appeals to 'dance, be foolish, etc.'  Now, the second band in particular was quite good, but I could have 'worshipped' like that better at the blues-fest!  And would have!   :D

When it was all over, I wanted to leave there so I could resume the worship I was living before I got in, but my sister insisted we go and meet the 'promoter'.  I'm kinda glad she did, because I got a good look backstage where they had the merchandise tables set-up and kids and adults were crowding around buying up the T-shirts, CD's and other trinkets, as I waited for the Lord Jesus to show up with his fashioned whip.

We finally found the promoter and it all fell into place perfectly.  He met me, and asked my sister, "How did you like the show?" 

Glory to God!  "How did you like the show?"  I didn't need to hear anything else.

Show-Business.  Got it.

Roy, it isn't that I think music is evil.  I don't.  It isn't that I think music with a christian message is evil.  I don't.  It isn't that I think everything that goes on inside the walls of every church is evil.  I don't.  The churches hold everything from the finest, most humble people on earth to the worst of sinners who heap hypocracy on top of all their other stinking sins.  They hold everything from the finest and most sincere expressions of faith to the vilest and cheapest of merchandisers of the gospel.  GOD KNOWS HEARTS.  He knows them better than we know our own.  But when it comes to worship, I don't want this, that, or any other Mountain, city, feeling, position, emotion, company, inclusion, exclusion, hypocracy, temptation, apearance of evil, evil itself or anything OTHER than The Spirit of GOD and Truth.

I don't want my worship 'led'.  Been there and done that...on both sides of the microphone.  That's just me, though. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Roy Martin

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »

Thank you Dave for your response. I'm sorry about the bad experience and experiences.
 I haven't been through what you have with the music. I love and play music everyday.
The show in the links was nothing like what you described. No money exchange, no preaching or leading.
Just people enjoying music and praising God. Fun and clean stuff.

Peace
Roy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:23:44 PM by Roy Martin »

ez2u

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

Kat  yes I remember that  I open my mouth and began to sing   but  :o  Jesus pull me aside and said "  Peggy I have another work for you to do always go to the back of the room to  ah si  study better.  ;D  peggy  I still love to sing no one wants to hear it.

EKnight

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »

"You can't worship sitting down...at least that's what I think."  Man, that statement sums up so much of what is wrong with churchianity.

If you take this statement literally, I can see where it might irk you.  But when I read it, I thought that maybe he meant it like you have to actively worship, sort of like "actions speak louder than words".  I know so many people that go through the motions but nothing more.

IDK just a thought.

Eileen

Roy Martin

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »

I've seen plenty of those that go through the motion. I never did let their problem become mine.
There is always something out there in everything we do concerning Gods word, learning, worship and praise; to distract us. Its only temptation trying to take it away from us. Gotta keep moving past the obstacles.
Dreams, prayer, study, worship and talents. Who is it that wants to take them from us?

Peace
Roy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:03:55 PM by Roy Martin »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:34 AM »

Thank you Dave for your response. I'm sorry about the bad experience and experiences.
 I haven't been through what you have with the music. I love and play music everyday.
The show in the links was nothing like what you described. No money exchange, no preaching or leading.
Just people enjoying music and praising God. Fun and clean stuff.

Peace
Roy

I'm not sorry for the bad experiences.  Don't cry for me, Argentina.   ;D  I felt closer to God on the ride home than at any point during the concert.   ;D

As I said, GOD JUDGES HEARTS.  It's not for me to do that.  But it IS for me to discern spirits.  I couldn't begin to tell you what was in the hearts of those playing, or of those wiggling...err, worshipping.  I just know a bit of what's TRUE about worship after 52 years, and I'm not letting any other guitar player take THAT away from THIS guitar player.

My Low E string is rattling.  Sounds like a sitar.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Roy Martin

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »

I hear you Dave.

Roy

hillsbororiver

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »

Is there something wrong with this.? The light show, the lyrics. I ask because I don't know.

You asked, so I'm answering.   :)

A couple of weeks ago, there was a blues festival in a nearby town.  I'm not a blues 'historian', but I do love the stuff.  My younger sister asked me if I would like to go with her and her husband (babylonians both) to a concert on a sunday night...which happened to be the last night of this blues festival.  The name of the act was Big Daddy Weaves (as best as I remember).  I'd never heard of 'him', but it sounded like a blues act to me!  My sister also knew the 'promoter' and was determined that I meet him--in order to advance my musical career, I'm certain.   

They came and picked me up, and it took a few minutes for it to sink into my brain that we were NOT heading to the blues-fest as I had thought, but were instead headed to a church for a concert of contemporary Christian music--not at all unlike what was in your You-tube links. 

I was disappointed, but felt sure I would survive the experience.   ;)  I don't think I was intentionally misled, just confused.

We got there about a half-hour before the concert started, and the atmostphere was pleasant.  I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I did NOT belong there, but that didn't mean I needed to escape.  I was happy for the aisle seat just in case they started singing the praises of Satan and the justice of eternal torment, or attacking the soveriegnty of God

We got a paper handout since it was a sunday night and this 'concert' replaced whatever this church ordinarily did on sunday nights.  What caught my eye was the advertisements.  Essentially, the concert was sponsored by several local and regional businesses (including some quite large ones).  It was also promoted by a local christian radio station.  So...even before it started, I had the impression that this was simply an imiatation of 'the world' dressed up in christian clothes. 

There were two acts involved...this Big Daddy outfit and a local band that opened for them.  I got myself prepped to either enjoy or leave in protest, whichever came first.  The first band got started, the music began and the bandmembers began to join in to bring the crowd to attention.

Then it happened.  The leader of the first act began to urge everybody to their feet.  He said, as best I can remember to quote him, "You can't worship sitting down!", he said.  "At least that's what I think."

At that moment, the words of Christ came to my mind. 

Joh 4:22  Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In my spirit, I rebuked that young man.  Oh, for the strength to stand up one day and preach this!  'Just because you play a guitar does not give you the right to contradict the words of Christ.  I don't 
care what you think.  Jesus said the hour is coming and NOW IS that neither in this mountain NOR in Jerusalem will we worship the Father.  How much LESS whether we sit or stand, clap or fold our hands, laugh or cry, are exuberant or still.  NEITHER are right or wrong.  BOTH are WORTHLESS in and of themselves.  If we don't worship in Spirit and Truth we cannot say we are worshipping.'

That theme continued through both bands sets, with occasional wisdom peeking through otherwise near constant musical, lyrical, and spoken appeals to 'dance, be foolish, etc.'  Now, the second band in particular was quite good, but I could have 'worshipped' like that better at the blues-fest!  And would have!   :D

When it was all over, I wanted to leave there so I could resume the worship I was living before I got in, but my sister insisted we go and meet the 'promoter'.  I'm kinda glad she did, because I got a good look backstage where they had the merchandise tables set-up and kids and adults were crowding around buying up the T-shirts, CD's and other trinkets, as I waited for the Lord Jesus to show up with his fashioned whip.

We finally found the promoter and it all fell into place perfectly.  He met me, and asked my sister, "How did you like the show?" 

Glory to God!  "How did you like the show?"  I didn't need to hear anything else.

Show-Business.  Got it.

Roy, it isn't that I think music is evil.  I don't.  It isn't that I think music with a christian message is evil.  I don't.  It isn't that I think everything that goes on inside the walls of every church is evil.  I don't.  The churches hold everything from the finest, most humble people on earth to the worst of sinners who heap hypocracy on top of all their other stinking sins.  They hold everything from the finest and most sincere expressions of faith to the vilest and cheapest of merchandisers of the gospel.  GOD KNOWS HEARTS.  He knows them better than we know our own.  But when it comes to worship, I don't want this, that, or any other Mountain, city, feeling, position, emotion, company, inclusion, exclusion, hypocracy, temptation, apearance of evil, evil itself or anything OTHER than The Spirit of GOD and Truth.

I don't want my worship 'led'.  Been there and done that...on both sides of the microphone.  That's just me, though. 

Fantastic post Dave!

Peace,

Joe 

aqrinc

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »

Dave,

On this one i have to agree with you, nothing personal. I have been around music and musicians for much of my life. There is a Christian music program, i think Bill Gaither something that my wife likes to watch, carnal as the day i was born.

She thinks i need to listen to more of that stuff to really be holy in my thoughts. I used to love listening to music for hours on end, now though, that desire is completely absent from my daily toils. Nothing against music and musicians, just no longer even think about it; like quitting smoking after many years.

george. :)

Roy Martin

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »

I think I have answered my own question. At least I feel comfortable with it.
 Theres entertainment music and worship music. I'm not talking about stuff in the church buildings.
 Nothing wrong with entertainment music that sings about God, light shows, people dancing, concerts and getting paid for it.
  Worship music for the purpose of just making money might be wrong. People like worship music, and get a lot out of it. I can get into some good meditating on God while listening to worship music, but how can anyone put worship music out there w/o money? Its all about the heart. Musicians are not pastors trying to deceive people. We have a talent that people want to hear. God created music. There is always someone out there to turn something good into bad. Temptations are every where we turn. We can't hide from the world.
Music about God can have powerful messages in it. Its not my intention to play music for money, but if it comes, then I"m not going to turn it down. I'll just thank God for the blessing and keep on movin.
 What people do in the church buildings are of no concern to me. Thats out of my control. We can talk about them until judgment day and accomplish nothing. I know I dont get anything from it except a guilt feeling.
 No where did God say entertainment is a sin. Clean entertainment, I mean.
Worship isnt about where you are, or what or who is around you if its from the heart.
I'm not going to let the things going on in Babylon keep me down or harden my heart.
I'm speaking only for myself here.
Peace
Roy
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 06:50:23 PM by Roy Martin »

Marky Mark

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »

She thinks i need to listen to more of that stuff to really be holy in my thoughts.

:o :o :o  :D ;D

Mark

Roy Martin

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »

My above comment is not directed toward anyone. Please forgive me if it seemed that way. Just coming to terms with things and nothing more.

Roy

larissa4676

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »

Good discussion. I just ask myself...what's the point? For me, music is a story. It's should be like reading a good book. Liquid poetry. It's no different then typing, or writing a story or message. It could be a true story or in parable form. This can be accomplished with both music and lyrics, separately or together. Sadly, most music and lyrics today are created to satisfy the carnal.

Larissa

EKnight

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »

Music moves me.  I find music invokes feelings, emotions, and love that I could never express or convey on my own.

Eileen
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.