bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PC trouble  (Read 11293 times)

meee

PC trouble
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »

Hey everyone, I've been having troubles for maybe a month or so with my screen going black. I have to push the power button on the monitor and it will come back and has the msg. Auto Detect Analog Input   This starts after my computer has been on for an hour or so and it occurs while I'm working, not sitting idle.    Once it starts it keeps doing this until I shut down , because it's so frustrating.    I've talked to a Dell tech twice and that didn't help. I was told to unplug the cable from the monitor and modem and plug back in switching the ends that was in the one into the other and vise versa ???. I guess the monitor is working correctly because we did the test and they said it was OK.
     Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?            I'm not very bright and it's a wonder I can work a computer at all, so no computer language please, speak English, if you have an answer, please.
      I've done all kinds of searches on Dell Inspiron 530/531 , and tried many things and nothing is working. :(
       Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and thanks very much for any help you might have.
                  hugs,meee

Ninny

Re: PC trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »

Meee,
This one is for George Trapp...Come on guys..help a lady out!
Kathy ;)

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »

Hey everyone, I've been having troubles for maybe a month or so with my screen going black. I have to push the power button on the monitor and it will come back and has the msg. Auto Detect Analog Input   This starts after my computer has been on for an hour or so and it occurs while I'm working, not sitting idle.    Once it starts it keeps doing this until I shut down , because it's so frustrating.    I've talked to a Dell tech twice and that didn't help. I was told to unplug the cable from the monitor and modem and plug back in switching the ends that was in the one into the other and vise versa ???. I guess the monitor is working correctly because we did the test and they said it was OK.
     Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?            I'm not very bright and it's a wonder I can work a computer at all, so no computer language please, speak English, if you have an answer, please.
      I've done all kinds of searches on Dell Inspiron 530/531 , and tried many things and nothing is working. :(
       Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and thanks very much for any help you might have.
                  hugs,meee

This is related to your power settings...here's what you can do:

1. Press the 'Start' button at the bottom left of your screen (has a Microsoft Windows icon)

2. Choose 'Control Panel' from the menu

3. Choose either the 'Performance and Maintenance' option which then gives you the option to choose 'Power Options' or if the option of 'Power Options' is listed right after choosing 'Control Panel', simply choose it then.

4. Under the 'Power Schemes' tab, make sure 'System Standby' is listed as 'Never. Also, you can choose the 'never' option or a long period of time for the 'Monitor' option as well.

5. Choose the 'Hibernate' tab, then uncheck 'Enable Hibernation'.

Let me know if you need further assistance in navigating through the different menu options.

Hope this helps,

Marques

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »

Hi meee,

This is me me me, ;D

Or you may have a defective monitor cable, if marques suggestion does not work, pm me with your phone #, i will call you back with free tech support. Most of those problems are fairly simple to correct with some judicious pulling and pushing.

george ;D.

Sandyk

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »

Good to know we have some computer geeks LOL at Bible Truths.  LOL good to know I will keep that in mind when I have issues.

bunnylife

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »

Hi Meee,

I did some searching on the error itself and came up with this. I do not know if you have tried this yet.

Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by Rebooting and press F8 during the boot process and choose safe mode.

If this is the same error I am thinking about it has to do with the resolution settings. If you can get into safe mode try adjusting them. Resolution settings are under Display. Go to Control Panel ---> Display ---> Settings Tab there adjust your resolution. You can also troubleshoot from there.

I seen others with Dell coming up with this same error and solution. Hopefully, the others already gave you the answer you needed.

Bunni

meee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »

Marques, I had tried this earlier and it still kept going black on me.  I have them set,as: Turn off the display: Never    And  Put the computer to sleep: Never  When I go into the change the power advance settings and make a - out of the + in the sleep box  and I check it again, it has gone right back to the + sign again.     I'll give it some time to see if it goes black again. Thanks much for the suggestion.
Bunni, I have done your suggestion too, and it doesn't stop the problem. Thank you much though!
George, I might have to do as you say, but will wait and see what happens first, before I bother you.     Thanks much me me me George! OH, I'm on dial up so can't have the computer on while on the phone George,soooo~~~~~~~. I do have a pre paid cell, if I have to be online.
If all fails I've already told Kathy {Ninny} to inform you all that I'm not dead, just can't come to the forum or anywhere else on the computer. lol ;D
Ok, George if I need you, it won't be over the weekend, I won't bother you then.
meee

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »

Marques, I had tried this earlier and it still kept going black on me.  I have them set,as: Turn off the display: Never    And  Put the computer to sleep: Never  When I go into the change the power advance settings and make a - out of the + in the sleep box  and I check it again, it has gone right back to the + sign again.     I'll give it some time to see if it goes black again. Thanks much for the suggestion.
Bunni, I have done your suggestion too, and it doesn't stop the problem. Thank you much though!
George, I might have to do as you say, but will wait and see what happens first, before I bother you.     Thanks much me me me George! OH, I'm on dial up so can't have the computer on while on the phone George,soooo~~~~~~~. I do have a pre paid cell, if I have to be online.
If all fails I've already told Kathy {Ninny} to inform you all that I'm not dead, just can't come to the forum or anywhere else on the computer. lol ;D
Ok, George if I need you, it won't be over the weekend, I won't bother you then.
meee

I'm sorry Meee, I thought you had stated you needed to turn your PC on, not monitor...sounds like you may be in need of another VGA cable (cable that runs from monitor to PC). I have extra, let me know what you and George find out.

Marques

meee

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »

Marques, thanks again and, yep I'll let you know, after the weekend what happened.
       While I'm here again, everyone notice the pictures of bunni and Sandy k. they could be the same person,huh?
        OK, time to go get hubby home from work.
                 meee ;)

meee

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

Meee again,
                     One thing I forgot to mention is that awhile ago I had my computer in sleep mode and when I brought it back up,it revved up and wouldn't stop, so I shut it down and restarted. Could that have been when it went kooky?
                     Anyway, I still have been on long enough to see if it's fixed, as I had errands to run today.
                     I'll let ya know what happens.
                             meee

firefly77

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

Hi meee,
You may want to uninstall your video card driver and then let Windows reinstall it. Sometimes a corrupted video driver can wreak havoc. Let me know if you need step by step instructions to do that. I will provide those if needed.
In my experience it is quite rare that the cable is faulty; they either work or they don't.
Please let me know.
Angie

meee

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »

Angie,
           I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm thinking maybe what Marques told me to do , fixed the problem.   I've had my computer on for 1 hr. and 7 mn. and so far it hasn't gone black on me.
           I might have not clicked to save the change, once when I did what Marques said.  Before he told me to try that, I had on my own tried it, and that's probably my goof that I didn't click to save what I had changed. Now it's 1 hr. and 10 mn. and it's still working, sooooo~~~~~~~~~.
          Thanks again Marques, Bunni, Angie and George!!!       
          I'll let you know though, if I'm getting ahead of the situation.   I'm thinking it should have gone black by now, so I am hopeful it's fixed.
           Bless you all !
                meee ;D

firefly77

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:53:31 PM »

Coolness  ;D!!

aqrinc

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »

Darkness is once again conquored. :)

george. ;D

meee

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »

Darkness is once again conquored. :)

george. ;D

I'm still kinda thinking it's gonna do it again, I guess dealing with it so long makes me leary.
                             meee

meee

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

OK, I'm bummed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        This thing was working for over an hour. I did a mal ware scan and then rebooted. Now it's a couple minutes only and it's gone black several times. I still need HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!
        meee :(

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »

If this happens while you are working on the computer it is most likely a hardware problem.  If you can borrow another monitor to try then do that.

Craig

firefly77

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »

meee,
I agree with Craig... if you can borrow someone else's monitor at least you can determine whether you own monitor needs to be replaced or the video card is giving out. Process of elimination... At this point I would say it is a hardware problem, however, I would still try to reinstall the driver for your video card just to make sure.
Angie

meee

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »

Ok, possibly my daughter will bring her monitor over. Thanks for the idea
            meee

meee

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »

Craig  & Angie,
               It's a go , my daughter is bringing her monitor this morning. Yes, it happens as I'm typing, and when I press the button on the monitor to bring the screen back, it shows what I had just typed as the screen went black.
                I want to thank each and everyone of you that tried to think of ways for me to resolve this issue.
                hugs,meee
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.