bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Matthew (25:46)  (Read 7049 times)

TheRysta

Problem with Matthew (25:46)
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »

"And these shall go away into everlasting (aionios) punishment, but the righteous into life eternal (aionios)".

John defines eternal life as follows in John (17:3): "And this is life eternal (aionios): that they might know you, the one true God, and Him whom You did send, Jesus Christ."

So, eternal life is the knowledge of Christ in this life, distinguished from immortality which everybody recieves. But see here, the context used in Matthew (25:46) is reffering to judgement day, is it not? How can you have a NEW 'life aionios' AFTER the original 'life aionios' in your mortal lifetime! This hints immortality. So how can eternal life in this context possibly mean simply the knowledge of Jesus Christ?

I'm very confuddled  :(

- Ryan

ericsteven

Re: Problem with Matthew (25:46)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:20 AM »

Hi Ryan,

First, I think that there is a difference between having knowledge of someone and actually knowing them.  All those who are called may have knowledge of Jesus and the truths of the Scriptures.  They may even believe many of the truths expounded upon by Ray here at bibletruths.  However, unless one comes to really know Jesus, to truly have a relationship with Him, not only as our elder brother and our King, but also as a true friend, then the knowledge of all these truths doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

That said -- many certainly have a knowledge of God and Christ in this mortal flesh.  There are some, like Ray, who have been given more knowledge than others.  However, whatever knowledge of Jesus we may have now pales in comparison to what we will know when we see Him face to face.  Perhaps this verse can give you more insight into your question.

1 Corinthians 13:12      for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known;  

Even if Jesus, who is one with the Father, says one has life aionios now, it is only because He already knows those who are His and can call those things which be not as though they were.

Romans 4:17  ...even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

God knows who his chosen are, and He will make sure that they keep their eyes only on Him and listen only to His voice.  In that sense, they already have life aionios, because they are truly alive in the Spirit, even though their flesh will most likely die.

Hopefully that makes sense.  Perhaps others can give you a better answer.

Eric

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »

eric,
your post response was enlightening to me. your words and Scriptures used were spot on as far as my understanding goes.

thanks for your help.

claudia

p.s.

happy birthday ryan!!! wow, to be 17 and have your eyes and ears open to the Truths is a gift better than anything one could give you as a gift on your special day.

TheRysta

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »

;D

TheRysta

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »

In response to Eric's post.

I understand that life aionios is being alive in the spirit, but I assume in this lifetime. On judgement day we are dead, presumably, so our life aionios must end as we enter a completely seperate state of being. How then, can we 'GO INTO another life aionios'?

Marky Mark

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:35:53 PM »

Aionios means pertaining to an age,not being alive in the Spirit.

Peace...Mark

TheRysta

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »

Yes, but John defines 'eternal (aionios) life' as the KNOWLEDGE of Jesus Christ.

The righteous know Jesus Christ.

Therefore at judgement day they would not be 'going into' eternal life, they would already be in it and it would not be used in the same context as 'eternal punishment'.

Matthew might have been using a different definition.

Someone please tell me if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. This just bothers me personally, but I guess there's every possibility that it could make sense as it is.

Ninny

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

Wow! I keep marveling at you my young friend! Such deep questions from such a young spirit!! You Go Boy!!!
Love,
Kathy ;)

Marky Mark

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

Yes, but John defines 'eternal (aionios) life' as the KNOWLEDGE of Jesus Christ.

The righteous know Jesus Christ.

Therefore at judgement day they would not be 'going into' eternal life, they would already be in it and it would not be used in the same context as 'eternal punishment'.

Matthew might have been using a different definition.

Someone please tell me if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. This just bothers me personally, but I guess there's every possibility that it could make sense as it is.

Rysta,email to Ray,hope it helps.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4445.0.html

Dear Jimmy:  It just amazes me how utterly short-sighted Biblical scholars and theologians can be when they are locked into their pagan traditions.  Jesus had a special REWARD/AWARD for all His followers. What was it? Heaven? NO. Eternal life? NO. All humanity will be given immortality which is in effect eternal, everlasting life. So what is so special that only the CHOSEN FEW will receive it? It is ruling and reigning and judging with Jesus Christ!  This reign is "eonian" or "age-lasting." It is decidedly NOT "eternal," as we are plainly told that it will END (I Cor. 15:25). Jesus rules only "UNTIL" He puts all enemies under His feet, at which time He hands over the reign of the Kingdom to His God and Father (Verses 27-28). All enemies will learn RIGHTEOUSNESS and ultimately be saved (Isa. 26:9, I Tim. 2:4, I Tim. 4:10, Phil. 2:9-11, Eph. 1:10, etc., etc., etc).

And so, those who do not quality to rule, reign, and judge with Christ, will themselves BE JUDGED. And judgment means to set things right. Hence "the [wicked] shall go away into everlasting [Gk: 'eonian'] punishment [Gk: 'chastisement']: but the righteous [the chosen Elect Few[ into life eternal [Gk: 'eonian' also]"  (Matt. 25:46). Aionios is the adjective form of the noun aion. Aion means an "age."  Aionios means that which pertains to an age. Eternus is a Latin word that surprisingly traces it etymology to the Greek word aion. Eternus never, ever meant "endless time" until hundreds of years after the Bible was completed and the Catholic Church decided that aions would be now taught to be "ENDLESS ages." As aion and aionios never meant endless, the word endless had to be affixed to aion and aionos in order to ever give it such a false and erroneous meaning.

The root of "kolasis" means "cutting off," as in pruning a tree. One prunes a tree to make it PRODUCE MORE FRUIT, not to kill it!  The wicked are chastised (judged) for the period of Christ's reign and the Saints reign for the period of Christ's reign. Both periods are the same length--until their purpose has been accomplished. Simple, huh? And Scriptural as well. God will torture no one for all eternity. That is blasphemously insane!!
God be with you,
Ray

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.