bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: overcome  (Read 7098 times)

ez2u

overcome
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:27:18 AM »

Rev 3:21  To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Rev 3:22  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

What did Jesus overcome?

ericsteven

Re: overcome
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:05:45 AM »

Perhaps these scriptures may shed some light for you.

John 16:33      These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

We can overcome the world just as He did.

I John 5:4      For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
I John 5:5     Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Gal 6:14     But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

What does the world refer to?  Here's one verse that may answer that.  I'm sure there are others. 

I John 2:16     For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Hopefully that helps,

Eric

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »

John 16:33 ...be of good cheer, I (Jesus Christ) have overcome the world.

Those made immortal are never again subject to death. (quote from L Ray Smith)
"He is King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality ... " (I Tim. 6:16).

The last enemy being abolished is death.

Comment: God applies Christ's death and sacrifice to "all men." "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that He by the grace of God should taste death for EVERY man" (Heb. 2:9).
http://bible-truths.com/hagee1.htm

Kat

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Hi Peggy,

I find that Paul explains quite well what we are to overcome and how "not be conformed to this world" in chapter 12 of Romans.

Rom 12:1  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
v. 2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

v. 9  Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
Rom 12:10  Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
v. 11  not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
v. 12  rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
v. 13  distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
v. 14  Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
v. 15  Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
v. 16  Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
v. 17  Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
v. 18  If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
v. 19  Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
v. 20  Therefore
       "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
       If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
       For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."

v. 21  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

G. Driggs

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:26 AM »

Very good answers all. How do we overcome? Is it as simple as praying? God has granted me the strength to overcome before, only when I've prayed for it. I certainly dont have it in me to overcome. He has let me overcome the little things lately, and a big one is coming, my confidence and faith is lacking. I dont trust my flesh, it is truly weak, pathetically weak, shamefully weak. But I know that the "spirit is willing". I feel pathetic just asking these things. If I fail, thats it, I have no excuse. Seems I know the answer, but I just wanted to share in this very timely Topic. Thank you for starting it, and thank you all for the very good answers.

Peace and Love to all, G.Driggs

ez2u

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »

so  Jesus over came the same things we are ti overcome  right?

Marky Mark

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »

so  Jesus over came the same things we are ti overcome  right?

Hello ez2u, correct. :)

These verses have always been of assistance to me as to what we are to do in overcoming the world,like Jesus did.

John 16
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1John 2
15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Peace...Mark

Kat

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »

Here are a few emails on this subject.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7162.0.html -------

As for overcoming sin, this is something I am asked nearly daily. We all want to be sin free. This is a life long endeavor. Our first giant victory is when sin no longer "REIGNS over us." But from there, sins continually crop us (often unseen and un-noticed).  God gives His Holy Spirit to only those who obey Him, and no one can obey Him until HE grants one repentance. And then we still continue to suffer in our struggle against sin. God intends for us to fight. This life is spiritual warfare. The battle is never over. You need to cry out to God for the desire, then patience to suffer, and finally the power to overcome it. There is no magic formula. There is no magic prayer.  There is no sowing a seed or buying your way out of carnality. We must struggle and fight and overcome and endure until the end.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2888.0.html -----

You are right, I cannot help you overcome your carnal sins. That is something that
we all have to do between ourselves and God. God is dealing with you and will
continue to deal with you. I cannot change God's timing for what He has in store
for your life.  Those of us who are maybe a little more mature, have all gone
through what you are going through.  That's why the Bible calls us BEASTS. We
often think and act and desire as do BEASTS.  You will not quit sinning until
God deems it time for you to quit, but in the mean time, you will come to hate
your sins, and still will not be able to overcome them. You will cry out to the only
One Who can help you. We all must make our "walk through the valley of the
shadow of death."  It is not a pleasant journey, but to come through it and have
a clean and clear conscious for the first time in your life, is itself quite rewarding.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4069.0.html ------

With all due respect, it is not because of a lack of knowledge that your are not having victory over your sins. There comes a time to DO what you already know. However, I will come to your defense by stating that you will not become victorious over most of your sins unless and until God determines that it is now time. I can only speak with authority when it comes to my own life. I had veasures of success in overcoming some things virtually the moment I learned the truth concerning them. For example, I quite using the Name of Jesus and God in profanity the week I came to realize how bad it was, and that was forty-five years ago, and I have never slipped up on it even once since then.   

But the "lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life," are the biggies that God will allow to drag on in one's life until they really get sick of these sins. Some people never get sick of these sins--they LIKE them.  But the "Goodness of God" (Rom. 2:4) can make you repent and abhor these things.  We never conquer every sin as long as we are in the flesh, but we can come to the place that "sin no longer REIGNS over us."  I have no desire to sin. I do not think about sinning. There is nothing in the realm of sin that has any value to me.  I'll let Jesus be my Judge as to how far I have come in overcoming sin.  You have to cry out to God to rescue from sin. You cannot and you will not do it on your own power.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2465.0.html ------

Yours is a common frustration. Many write me with similar struggles
with the flesh after coming into a knowledge of the Truth. I did the
same. I left my First Love and went back into the world, all the while
knowing that I couldn't conquer my flesh. I was so happy for what I
'perceived to be "greasy grace."  Thank God for grace, because I knew
I wasn't going to be saved without it.
I still believe that that part of it is true (about saved by grace only), but
I also know that it is possible when God gets ready, to conquer your
major sins so that sin no longer "reigns over you."  You will not be totally
perfect and mature, but you will not be giving into every pull of the flesh,
for sexual gratification, lust for money, power, good looks, eternal youth,
perfect health, interesting job, travel and excitement, etc., etc., etc.  You
will learn to enjoy the simple pleasure of life like, breathing, sleeping,
walking, talking to your wife, eating a pizza, and going to bed early on a
Saturday night.
God will make you really WANT to stop sinning, long before you will
ACTUALLY stop sinning. It's part of the struggle; part of the good
fight of faith; part of overcoming the flesh.  Don't become discouraged, as
God WILL SEE YOUR THROUGH!

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1026.0.html ------

There is no magic bullet that will save you today from all your sins and problems. As you have stated YOU have tried and tried and failed time and again. ONLY GOD can save you from all of your sins.  I can teach you the truths of the Scriptures, but overcoming the sins of the flesh is something that only God can do for you. I know the feeling. I have been there; done that.  But God is faithful, and if you continue to hate your flesh and your sins and cry out to God, He will hear you.  So be encouraged.  Many have gone before you and have obtained the victory over sin. We are never totally free from all sin, but we do reach the place where sin no longer has dominion over us, and that is a great feeling.  Don't do ANYTHING that gives you a guilty conscience.  Don't GO anywhere, don't DO anything, don't SAY anything for which you feel guilty or wouldn't want your wife, children and par ents to see you doing.  People condemn me and say all kinds of hateful lies about me on a daily basis.  But my conscience is CLEAR before God, and so I don't have to answer to all my hate-filled detractors.  Take God with you wherever you go and your whole life will change.

http://bible-truths.com/email16.htm#finished -----------------------

God has given ALL OF US, weaknesses.  Some have financial problems, others marital, others health, others bad tempers, others fear and uncertainty, others are mentally and emotionally unstable, etc., etc., etc.  The thing to remember is, "GOD AIN'T FINISHED WITH YOU YET"!!

Don't feel that just because you have certain problems and weaknesses that you will never ever overcome them. GOD IS ABLE! These weaknesses humble us and drive us to our knees and herefore, they do a good work in us.

I have as many genetic and emotional weaknesses as anyone, but I don't let them get me down.  I press on with the assurance that God will not let me down. And as we mature, we find that we are stronger in faith, and mature even more quickly.  I do not have near the sins today that I had just a half dozen years ago.   God has conquered things in me that I was never able to conquer, try as hard as I may.

Peter denied Jesus three times in one evening.  But in later years, Peter was a bold a lion!  Be of good cheer, as Jesus said,  He overcame THE WORLD, and it is this same Jesus that is now living IN US!

God be with you,

Ray

firefly77

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

Kat,
Thank you so much for posting Ray's comments about overcoming sin. I have a problem with my short temper at times and today I lost my patience again just like that... I was deeply grieved and believe me, I absolutely HATE my sin. What a short temper is really saying, I am unhappy about how God is working in my life. I might get frustrated with people, but am I not really rebelling or upset about how God is wanting to shape me and develop the fruits of the Spirit through the circumstances I encounter? In other words, I want to be "god" of my own life and I know what's best for me. Of course, I recognize what it is and it's not what I desire anymore, however, it is such a grievous stubborn habit. :(

Angie

Marlene

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »

Angie, I am included in that. Sometimes, I loose patience with others, when in reality I know God has put up with l a lot out of me and given me so much patience way more then I have with most at times.

When, I loose my patience with someone God often reminds me I was once them. That, reminder helps, but I still have a longs way to overcome this habit.

Yes, thanks for that Post Kat. It is a good one for all of us.

In His Love,
Marlene

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »

thank you so much kat for the past email responses from ray about sin and overcoming. i have been shown lately some things about myself that i had never even thought about as being sinful. and i have been fighting a battle over a particular sin which i pray about each night and talk about to God daily, but have not been given the victory over this sin yet, BUT, i have come to hate it and despise my flesh for desiring it. i even got to a point recently where i thought, well, i will just keep giving in to this sin until God works in me to remove it. but, something ray said in one of the emails you posted spoke to me about this. ray said that "God intends for us to fight. this life is spiritual warfare." i know that God meant for me to read these words, to remind me that although only God can give us the victory over any particular sin, WE must continue to fight. fight the urge, resist our own fleshly beast. and that indeed is a battle, and it is indeed a spiritual battle. but even now God's Spirit is telling me that He has given me/us armor to fight this battle of the flesh. armor that is spiritual. and it ALL comes back to our Father and His Son, our Savior. our Savior from this world, and our Savior from our own flesh.

claudia

Ellie

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:30 AM »

Wow Kat,How timely is this.I spoke to a friend on the phone last night and found myself responding to a comment she made   .....to put her right.....It just put me wrong,very wrong,because I was saying something negative about my parents.Certainly not something I would want God or anyone else to hear.
    This morning I was wracked with quilt,so annoyed that I had reacted to her leading statement without real thought or consideration.
    Certainly I repent and in reading all these responces can adjust my answers in a much better way,even if what the other person says is not a truth.My answer of truth was only hurtful.
     I spent quite some time praying,found my self being quite humbled at all the changes God has made in my life so far.That it is a life long journey and God is certainly not finished with me yet.
     It was all a humbling exercise and I found myself accepting a lot more of my life's circumstances and more than usual recognizing that God wants me right where I am for now.
    Even with various physical complaints et.None of it seemed to matter and I was over whealmed with love for God.Even with my worldly wants or needs,they seemed to fade away,that gap between the spiritual and carnal widening yet again.
     How wonderful is our God and how wonderful is our Saviour.
                           Peace to all.....Ellie.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.