bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melchizedek  (Read 5372 times)

bible man

Melchizedek
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »

Was Melchizedek Jesus the son of God?

Kat

Re: Melchizedek
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »

Hi Bibleman,

There is a few mentions of Melchizedek in the tithing paper.  I brought these excerpts where he is mentioned.

http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html ------------------------------

Gen. 14:20, "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he [Abram] gave him [Melchizedek king of Salem, the priest of the most high God, Ver. 18] TITHES of all [all the goods of war, Ver. 16]."
v
v
In this, the first mention of tithing in the Bible, Abram gives to Melchizedek (a priest of God who was also the king of the city of Salem) a tithe of the best of the booty taken in war. Notice that this was not wheat, corn, wine, oil, or cattle from Abram’s personal possessions, but rather booty taken from conquered nations.
v
v
There is nothing stated here that would cause us to conclude that Abram (later changed to Abraham) ever tithed on a regular basis on his own person possessions. Although Abraham gave Melchizedek a tithe of the booty of war, he told the king of Sodom that he would take none of it for himself.

In this same account recorded in the seventh chapter of Hebrews, we learn that the priests of Levi, from the family of Aaron (although far inferior to the priestly order of Melchizedek) also receive tithes from the people according to the law.
v
v
Now in order to be a priest one not only had to be of the tribe of Levi, but he also had to be of the family of Aaron. In fact, if one could not trace his genealogy back to the family of Aaron, he could not be a priest of God. This is the whole point of Hebrews seven. Jesus Christ is a priest for the eons of the rank of Melchizedek because Melchizedek predated the law which stated that only sons of Aaron could be priests. Therefore Melchizedek’s genealogy is not given in the Scriptures, and Christ, who according to the flesh is of the line of Judah, can and will be God’s High Priest in the Kingdom of God.
------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

bible man

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »

Thanks Kat,   you are a blessing to me.  So his geanology and all that "stuff" is not saying he wasnt actually born,died etc.?

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »

Thanks Kat,   you are a blessing to me.  So his geanology and all that "stuff" is not saying he wasnt actually born,died etc.?

His genealogy is not in scripture so it's not saying anything.
So I don't understand your question?

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

ez2u

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:03:17 PM »

This high priest has caught my attention for many years  who was He?

10:1  <A Psalm of David.> The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
Psa 110:2  The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.
Psa 110:3  Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.
Psa 110:4  The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek
Psa 110:5  The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.
Psa 110:6  He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.
Psa 110:7  He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

and another scripture in Hebrew that gives us a little more information on Melchizedek

b 7:1  For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
Heb 7:2  To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace
Heb 7:3  Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

all though its spelled a little diffferent it is the same king of Salem  look at the end verse  but made like unto the son of God  abideth a priest continually.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:10:10 PM by ez2u »

aqrinc

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:59 PM »

Hi bibleman,

Below are two verses from Hebrews 7, this version from (GOD'S WORD BIBLE) was plainest other than the word forever. (for the eon)

I just read the entire chapter again, pretty amazing information every time.

Reading in CLV or YLT also give a great rendition of this chapter. Bold are my additions.

Heb 7:2 (GW)
Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of everything he had captured. In the first place, Melchizedek's name means king of righteousness. He is also called king of Salem (which means king of peace).

Heb 7:3 (GW)
No one knows anything about Melchizedek's father, mother, or ancestors. No one knows when he was born or when he died. Like the Son of God, Melchizedek continues to be a priest forever.(for the eon)

george. :)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:10:07 PM by aqr »

Kat

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

The Smith's Bible dictionary has a bit of information that seems good to me.

Jewish tradition pronounces Melchizedek to be a survivor of the deluge, the patriarch Shem. The way in which he is mentioned in Genesis would rather lead to the inference that Melchizedek was of one blood with the children of Ham, among whom he lived, chief , (like the king of Sodom), of a settled Canaanitish tribe.
The "order of Melchizedek," in Psa_110:4, is explained to mean "manner" = likeness in official dignity = a king and priest. The relation between Melchizedek and Christ as type and antitype, is made in the Epistle to the Hebrews to consist in the following particulars: Each was a priest, (1) not of the Levitical tribe; (2) superior to Abraham; (3) whose beginning and end are unknown; (4) who is not only a priest, but also a king of righteousness and peace.

Just something more to add to the discussion.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.