bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colosians1:23  (Read 4943 times)

bible man

colosians1:23
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:41:47 AM »

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister

Is it safe to say the gospel was preached all over the world based on this scripture?

gmik

Re: colosians1:23
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:21 AM »

No, I don't think so!  Remember at Jesus' birth "all the world" was taxed too.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister

Is it safe to say the gospel was preached all over the world based on this scripture?

Hello Bible Man,

The phrase 'was preached' is translated from one Greek word, 'kēryssō'. It is in the aorist tense...here is a helpful definition of what the aorist tense is:

From Blue Letter Bible [explaining the aorist tense only] (www.blueletterbible.org):
The aorist tense is characterized by its emphasis on punctiliar action; that is, the concept of the verb is considered without regard for past, present, or future time. There is no direct or clear English equivalent for this tense, though it is generally rendered as a simple past tense in most translations.

The events described by the aorist tense are classified into a number of categories by grammarians. The most common of these include a view of the action as having begun from a certain point ("inceptive aorist"), or having ended at a certain point ("cumulative aorist"), or merely existing at a certain point ("punctiliar aorist"). The categorization of other cases can be found in Greek reference grammars.

The English reader need not concern himself with most of these finer points concerning the aorist tense, since in most cases they cannot be rendered accurately in English translation, being fine points of Greek exegesis only. The common practice of rendering an aorist by a simple English past tense should suffice in most cases.

And though it is true that the past tense is suitable in most cases, it's not in all. There are numerous studies to show that not all the world has even heard the gospel.

Also, read Ray's 2 papers to Dr. Kennedy (http://bible-truths.com/kendy2.htm) & (http://bible-truths.com/kennedy2.htm) regarding those who have never heard/will never hear as your question is answered there as well.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »

I would have to believe that Paul is speaking of the realm of heaven for all those[creatures] that are of and for the Spirit,in which case Paul certainly would be a minister of such a thing. Jesus did speak of being in the heavens while at the same time being on the earth.

This email to Ray touches on the heavens. Bold emphasis mine.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4138.0.html

Dear Beth:
        The "Kingdom of God" also known as the "Kingdom of the heavenS," is God'd domain, where He resides.  To the degree that we have God's Spirit is the degree to which we reside in this Kingdom. At present we are merely begotten, awaiting a new birth into His Kingdom. This Kingdom has no end after the physical has passed away. Etc.  Too big a subject for an email.
        God be with you,
        Ray

Peace...Mark

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »

Hi bibleman,

The Scriptures below, are addressing the same question i believe. 

Mat 24: 8-16 (CLV)
8 Yet all these are the beginning of pangs.
9 Then shall they be giving you up to affliction, and they shall be killing you, and you shall be hated by all of the nations because of My name."
10 And then many shall be snared, and they shall be giving one another up and hating one another."
11 And many false prophets shall be roused, and shall be deceiving many."

12 And, because of the multiplication of lawlessness, the love of many shall be cooling."
13 Yet he who endures to the consummation, he shall be saved."
14 And heralded shall be this evangel of the kingdom in the whole inhabited earth for a testimony to all the nations, and then the consummation shall be arriving."

15 Whenever, then, you may be perceiving the abomination of desolation, which is declared through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let him who is reading apprehend!);"
16 then let those in Judea flee into the mountains.

Here is a very good paper by Ray on this subjest.

Excerpt from: What Is The Gospel Of The Kingdom? http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6142.0.html

UNDERSTANDING THE BOOK

If we don’t understand that God never intended for the masses of humanity to understand this Bible, then we won’t understand this book.  This is not a book written to be understood.  Human intellect will not allow you to understand this book.  You can learn a lot about it, where and how it was written, the culture, the history and you can memorize it. 
You can be like Jack Van Impe and I don’t know he says he’s memorize 25,000 verses or whatever.  But he has not a clue as to what the gospel is, not a clue.  I don’t mean to pick on people.  James Kennedy speaks Greek and Hebrew fluently and has not a clue as to what the gospel is.  I’m serious, not a clue.  You say, ‘oh well he doesn’t have it quite down yet.’  No, not a clue, he has not a clue. 

If you think God is going to torture most of humanity for all eternity, then you have not a clue as to what the gospel is… you have not a clue as to what Jesus Christ is… you have not a clue as to what God the Father is.  Not a clue.  You can not say in the same breath that God is love and God tortures most of humanity for all of eternity.  You can’t say that!  That is as opposite as God and Satan, to say that.  Yet this is fundamental Christianity... God is love… God will torture most of humanity in real fire for all eternity.  It’s insane!  If you can’t see that that is insane, if you just sit there and say, ‘well I don’t know Ray, it makes sense to me.’  Then you will never understand this book.  You just will never understand this book. 

This book was written so that nobody could understand it, until God picks somebody out and says I want you to understand this book and I’ll show you how to understand it.  That’s the only way.  He’s got to pick you out and open up your mind or you will never understand this book.  This book is written in all kinds of symbolism, figurative language, types, figures, images, examples, analogies, parables, metaphors and people think all those things are literal.  That is confusion.  That’s why the church is confused.  That’s why there are supposedly 3000 Christian denominations in the world, because they don’t understand any of this stuff.

Jesus Christ said to His Apostles, to you it is given to understand, but to them it is not given to understand.

Mark 4:11  And he said unto them, Unto you is given the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all things are done in parables:
Mar 4:12  that seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;

To you it is given, to them it’s not given.  There’s you and there’s them and that’s just the way it is and the way it will be until the close of the age.

They are talking about worldwide revival.  Ron Parsley was saying at the rate they are converting people, 250,000 a day, that in 12-14 more years the whole world will be Christianized, in just a matter of not too many years.  But Christ says when He returns will He find faith?  Well that‘s all He’ll find is faith, everywhere, in every human being.  NO!  No, He ask the question because He won‘t find faith.  There is not faith among millions, no, billions, we have to say billions now, there are 2 billion professing Christians.

george. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.