bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few are chosen  (Read 8078 times)

DMRH

Few are chosen
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

Matthew 22:14 - For many are called, but few are chosen.

This apears to be a little discomforting as a Christian new to the faith.

Just how FEW is "few"....??

I was told once that the JW church talk about 144,000 but I'm unsure if this is accurate.

Thoughts.

Marky Mark

Re: Few are chosen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »

DMRH,Hello.

Here is an email to Ray,hope it helps.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2607.0.html

Dear Matt:

The book of Revelation is a book "signified" with SYMBOLS.  And the words of Jesus are "SPIRIT" (I John 6:63).  And it is filled with signs and metaphors. None of these things are literal.

The Seven Churches are not literally seven.  The 24 elders are not literally 24. The 144,000 are not literally 144,000.  The 1000 years is not literally a thousand years. These are ALL symbols. The Lake of Fire is neither a literal lake or literal fire.

And your statement: "the 'saved in this lifetime, i.e. called and chosen but not elect' are those who merely populate the millennial kingdom" is bogus. There is no such thing as "called AND chosen, but NOT elect."  The called and chosen ARE THE ELECT.  I wish that I could tell you that you are among the chosen elect, but that is something that I do not know. God knows those who are His, but no one else does. Therefore, it behooves us all to do diligence in our walk of faith.

God be with you,

Ray

Peace...Mark

jeetkunejimi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »

Hi DMRH,
             no one really knows, all we can do is our best as our foosteps are ordered. Matt 1:1-16, tells of of the genealogy's of descendants that led to Christ from Abraham. In verse 17 we are told by Matthew this,

Matt 1:17.
 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.   

Now we know if we count carefully that from the time of the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ is actually THIRTEEN generations. 14=14=13=41, so if the answer to everything in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is 42(loll), then where is the 42ND generation? Where is generation 'X''?

Now we also know that like Micheal Jackson, Jesus, never had a sexual relationship or an off spring, well Jesus didn't anyway. That should put the ca-bosh on the 'Divinci Code' movie. Anyway perhaps we can consider that since the death of our Lord Jesus that there has always been a body of Christ called out and chosen elect, who very importantly stay faithful as well, who have preached the real truth of the gospel, as it is a mystery to most, through no power of their own, but just by the will of God as He pie- ordained it to be so. These people like Whitemoore, Salmon,Dukes, Mr Smith,loll, and the like have been given this and were always going to receive it.

So Christ will have a spiritual seed (off spring) given to him by God for Christ's reign on earth.
The called out chosen elect are his church, his body, his members, with his mind,etc.

1 Tim 4:10-11.
    For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach , because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

These things command and teach.

Especially, but not exclusively is the order of the day.So I guess, that few, will be few, in comparison to those who will not be chosen, called out elect, fit to burn now and make the reign of Christ on earth. However that few will be way more than a piffling 144,000 me thinks. But Like I said no one really knows everything and the details, it's all a matter of faith and trusting in a loving omnipotent God. Better to let Him rule, better to be in His mighty hands than David Seamans. Amen. 

#
Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

Hi DMRH,

Those in the first resurrection have been trained (in this lifetime) for the express purpose to reign and rule with Christ to bring the rest of mankind to salvation.  It is the greatest privilege to be among the chosen few, but the rest will come into the family of God, but just a bit later through the White Throne judgment.  This is God's plan and how He in His perfect wisdom has determined to work this out.

Here is an excerpt from the 8th articles in the Lake of Fire series.

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html -----------------------------

THE "CALLED" AND THE "NOT CALLED"

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many [some, but not many] wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.

But God has chosen the foolish things [many translations do not insert the word "things" in these verses] of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And the base things of the world, and things which are despised, has God chosen, yes, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: that no flesh should glory in His presence" (I Cor. 1:26-29).

So we see that God calls MOSTLY those who are: weak, base, despised, nothings! Are we to believe that God is going to build a SPIRITUAL ARMY of Sons and Daughters by which He will conquer and SAVE THE WORLD?

Hard to believe, isn’t it? I think we can all agree that there is a great deal of work to be done with and to these "nothings of the world" whom God is calling to such a formidable, once-in-an-eternity task!

But of the "many called," we are told, "few are chosen" (Matt. 20:16). Why is that? God has intended it to be such. We are given the parable of the "sower of seed" where much of the seed fell by the side of the tilled soil, and the birds ate it; some had no depth and withered in the sun; still more fell among thorns and were chocked, but some fell upon good soil and produced much fruit. Many seed are sown, but few seed produce good fruit. "Seed" we see everywhere in the Church; "fruit" of God’s spirit is more rare. These few have the added designation of:

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful" (Rev. 17:14).

These are the "very elect" who cannot be deceived any longer by the Great Whore, "Mystery Babylon the Great, Mother of Harlots, and the Abominations of the earth."

One more important verse regarding our calling, that I will cite out of the Concordant Literal New Testament because I believe they translate the Greek aorist tense properly, whereas the King James uses the past tense:

"Now we are aware that GOD [it is unfortunate that the King James leaves out "God" even though it is in the manuscripts. Most translations do put "God" in this opening phrase. Things don’t just ‘work’ together without GOD doing the ‘working’] is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are [being] called according to the purpose that, whom He foreknew, He designates beforehand, also, to be conformed to the image of His Son, for Him to be Firstborn among many brethren. Now whom He designates beforehand, these He calls [not ‘called’ as all are NOT YET called, it is the aorist tense] also, and whom He calls, these He justifies, also; now whom He justifies, these He glorifies also" (Rom. 8:28:30).

Now, pay attention: All which God foreknew, He then designates beforehand (He hand-picks them, if you will). And therefore, since He has already designated them beforehand, when they are born in whatever generation God designates; He then calls them. Now it is true that God calls MANY OTHERS whom He has NOT designated to be "conformed to the image of His Son" AT THE TIME that each generation appears in history.

There are many more "called" in each generation than are actually, "chosen" to be conformed to the image of His Son at that time.

All that are not chosen will be in the second resurrection/white throne judgment/lake of fire. These will go the "broad way into destruction" from which they will await judgment at the great white throne. But, those which God foreknows and designates beforehand, He definitely does call, but these designated ones GO ON to be JUSTIFIED AND GLORIFIED. They are not just the "called," but the "called AND CHOSEN" which will go on to glorification in service with Christ, as the manifested Sons and Daughters of God, in the Kingdom of God, to bring the rest of heaven and earth to SALVATION!

When Jesus says that,

"Many will say unto me in that day, Lord, Lord… Then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity" (Matt. 722-23),

He is not speaking of a minority but a majority. The "many" NEVER means the minority!

We will see it conclusively proved from God’s Word that the majority in the Church today are going the "broad way," and not the "straight and narrow way." And I am not just preaching to the choir when I say that only a "FEW" will be in the first resurrection and rule and reign with Christ, I am speaking to all the church and to myself as well. I know these aren’t the "soft" words that tickle people’s ears, but what I am telling you is a "hard saying" of the Scripture that is absolutely true. Jesus Christ Himself said that "THE MANY" must "DEPART from Me." Jesus doesn’t "know" the many, in a spiritual relationship, because they are too carnal to be spiritual.

ARE YOU "CALLED AND CHOSEN" OR JUST "CALLED?"

Let me first state that there is an order in the process of being called to Sonship. First you are called, and then you are chosen from among the called. And we have already learned that the "chosen" are also the "few." Quite frankly, not unlike a casting call. Many are called to come to the casting rehearsal, but only a relative few will be chosen for the actual performance. Which are you? I will not be your personal judge, however, as we progress in this series, you will be confronted with dozens of Scriptures by which you can JUDGE YOURSELF by the aid of God’s Spirit.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this was helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

SeekingHIM

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

There are the called, and there are the called AND chosen.

I've expressed my feelings about reading the Beloved Words of Christ to other "church people." It grieves me when they casually say, "Oh, yeah. I feel the same way. We should be reading the Bible every day." And they they go on to discuss "politics" in the church. I think the chosen are those who feel that the Words of Christ are a great joyful treasure. How they make my heart sing!! I never really thought about being a ruler. That's kind of a scary thought for me. I just want to be as close to Christ as I can be.

Pat

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »

Rom 14:4  ...His own Lord will determine whether he stands or falls. And stand he will, because God is able to make him stand.

That's ALL of us.  And that's the only way we will stand, because God is able to make us stand. 

Welcome to the forum, Pat and DMRH. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dave

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:03:57 PM »

I believe the order would be to HEAR, then called.......he that has a ear let him hear. At least thats how I see it. Peace

ez2u

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »

Why does this scripture always seems like a brass ring on a merry-go-round?  What do does this subject do for any one?  Seriously  Can anyone give me an answer  peggy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:36:24 AM by ez2u »

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

Hi Peggy,

Maybe reading the complete chapter will clear up the merry go round. This chapter is addressing physical times, foods, haughtiness of certain believers. No doubt the greater Spiritual meaning is being shown right in the very same words. Why Love needs to be the primary motivater for doing anything.

Rom 14: 1-23 (CEV)
Welcome all the Lord's followers, even those whose faith is weak. Don't criticize them for having beliefs that are different from yours.
2  Some think it is all right to eat anything, while those whose faith is weak will eat only vegetables.
But you should not criticize others for eating or for not eating. After all, God welcomes everyone.
4  What right do you have to criticize someone else's servants? Only their Lord can decide if they are doing right, and the Lord will make sure that they do right.

5  Some of the Lord's followers think one day is more important than another. Others think all days are the same. But each of you should make up your own mind.
Any followers who count one day more important than another day do it to honor their Lord. And any followers who eat meat give thanks to God, just like the ones who don't eat meat.
7  Whether we live or die, it must be for God, rather than for ourselves.

8  Whether we live or die, it must be for the Lord. Alive or dead, we still belong to the Lord.
This is because Christ died and rose to life, so that he would be the Lord of the dead and of the living. (Dead Spiritually)
10  Why do you criticize other followers of the Lord? Why do you look down on them? The day is coming when God will judge all of us.

11  In the Scriptures God says, "I swear by my very life that everyone will kneel down and praise my name!"
12  And so, each of us must give an account to God for what we do.
13  We must stop judging others. We must also make up our minds not to upset anyone's faith.

14  The Lord Jesus has made it clear to me that God considers all foods fit to eat. But if you think some foods are unfit to eat, then for you they are not fit.
15  If you are hurting others by the foods you eat, you are not guided by love. Don't let your appetite destroy someone Christ died for.
16  Don't let your right to eat bring shame to Christ.

17  God's kingdom isn't about eating and drinking. It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about true happiness. All this comes from the Holy Spirit.
18  If you serve Christ in this way, you will please God and be respected by people.
19  We should try to live at peace and help each other have a strong faith.

20  Don't let your appetite destroy what God has done. All foods are fit to eat, but it is wrong to cause problems for others by what you eat.
21  It is best not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that causes problems for other followers of the Lord.
22  What you believe about these things should be kept between you and God. You are fortunate, if your actions don't make you have doubts.
23  But if you do have doubts about what you eat, you are going against your beliefs. And you know that is wrong, because anything you do against your beliefs is sin.

george. :)

bluzman

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »

Amen to your post to Peggy. Had I understood these words many years ago, much grief and pain would have been
spared myself, my family and my friends! I was on that road following carnal minded men like Armstrong, his son, and
the like who did my thinking for me. Everything that I loved and held dear I lost.
Looking back on my life I can see how and why this all had to be for me, but the pain is still there, every day.
I will copy and paste your post in wordpad, so that the Spirit of this scripture is never far from me.
What a wonderful place this forum really is to learn.
Thank you George.
Peace, Bluzman

aqrinc

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »

Bluzman,

Peace to You Also brother.

All Thanks Must go to GOD And our Lord Jesus Christ, we only pass on what has been given us to understand. We can all say in truth, If i only knew back then, what i now know; but GOD IS IN CONTROL, so we know now what we need to know; so we can grow in HIS Grace & Faith.

If we boast, it is that We have A FATHER who Literally and Spiritually Moves whole Galaxies around; just so HIS children, (every single solitary one) can learn what is Right and do it.

When we really understand this message below; what can we say but !!!!ABBA, THANK YOU!!!

Eph 2: 8-22 (CLV)
8 For in grace, through faith, are you saved, and this is not out of you; it is God's approach present,
9 not of works, lest anyone should be boasting."
10 For His achievement are we, being created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God makes ready beforehand, that we should be walking in them."

11 Wherefore, remember that once you, the nations in flesh - who are termed 'Uncircumcision' by those termed 'Circumcision,' in flesh, made by hands -"
12 that you were, in that era, apart from Christ, being alienated from the citizenship of Israel, and guests of the promise covenants, having no expectation, and without God in the world."

13 Yet now, in Christ Jesus, you, who once are far off, are become near by the blood of Christ."
14 For He is our Peace, Who makes both one, and razes the central wall of the barrier"
15 (the enmity in His flesh), nullifying the law of precepts in decrees, that He should be creating the two, in Himself, into one new humanity, making peace;"

16 and should be reconciling both in one body to God through the cross, killing the enmity in it."
17 And, coming, He brings the evangel of peace to you, those afar, and peace to those near,
18 for through Him we both have had access, in one spirit, to the Father."

19 Consequently, then, no longer are you guests and sojourners, but are fellow-citizens of the saints and belong to God's family,
20 being built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, the capstone of the corner being Christ Jesus Himself,
21 in Whom the entire building, being connected together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord:"
22 in Whom you, also, are being built together for God's dwelling place, in spirit.

george :).

bluzman

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »

Hello George,
 I know that all thanks must go to Father and Son for what I have been given, but as a man being called a brother
means a great deal to me. Thanks to God the Father and to Jesus Christ His Son Who gave up every thing for us all.
  Peace and love brother George
Ches

DMRH

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »

Thank you all for you input.

I have asked a few people around & gotten answers from them too & the general thinking is a "small percentage". Like thanks but the "few are choosen" part of the text already points that out.

One answer I got that seemed very logical & scriptural was from a friend that pointed out that "Many are called" means the Christians from multiple churches that fail to follow the scriptures properly. Thats the "Few are choosen" is for the Churches that do follow the scriptures properly.

I was then pointed to the following versus as examples.....

Here is the patience of the saints, here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus."  Rev.14:12

"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city."  Rev. 22:14

Its all about "Keeping all the commandments" & not treating them as mear suggestions like many Churches profess to their flocks.

Thanks

G. Driggs

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »

Its all about "Keeping all the commandments" & not treating them as mear suggestions like many Churches profess to their flocks.

So true DMRH, and if you Love God with everything you have, and love everyone else like you love yourself, then the rest of the commandments will be obeyed, they will follow, it will almost be like automatic.

Mat 22:36  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Second Witness:

Mar 12:28  And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
Mar 12:29  And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31  And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

The chosen not only see and hear, they do, they "walk the talk".

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Witness:

Luk 6:46  And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Luk 6:47  Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, AND DOETH THEM, I will shew you to whom he is like:
Luk 6:48  He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
Luk 6:49  But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great

Luk 8:21  And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, AND DO IT.

I will be the first to admit, this doing is not easy, but if it is His will, we WILL DO IT, He will enable us and make it possible, and He will be glorified.

Peace, Love and Understanding

G.Driggs

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:58:21 PM by G. Driggs »

ez2u

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »

George  thanks for the post i copied to print it out later it got bite by ground hornets today my hand is swollen up i will get back with you later?  peggy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.