bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: book of Hebrews  (Read 5387 times)

bible man

book of Hebrews
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:32:53 AM »

Hello, everyone   

Does anyone have an opinion on who is the writer of hebrews?

just curious

kenny

Re: book of Hebrews
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »

Breath of God
 Gen 2:7  And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
 Psa 33:6  By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
 Psa 150:6  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

inspiring isn't it

Kenny

Roy Coates

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »

Hey Bible Man,
Hope your troubles have subsided and your safe.

I don't know who wrote the book of Hebrews, not sure anybody does. I have heard some speculation but that is it. I like to refer to the author of Hebrews as "the writer of Hebrews" I heard Ray and others but it that way.

Peace,
Roy

bible man

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »

Thanks, Roy Coates  

God has been faithful,keeping my family safe etc.  My family  pretty much totaly seperate themselves and I am left  trying to count it all joy!   thanks for your hebrews remarks I agree.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:06:32 AM by bible man »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:11 PM »

Hi Bible man,

As I was reading through the commentaries to see what they had to say, this from Gill gave very strong reasoning as to why it's author was Paul.  Here is the main points he makes.

John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible--

That this epistle was written very early appears from hence, that it was imitated by Clement of Rome, in his epistle to the Corinthians, who took whole sentences out of it; and therefore it could not be a new work, as Eusebius (a) observes:

It has been ascribed to different persons, as to Barnabas, to Apollos, to Luke the Evangelist, and to Clement of Rome, but without any just reason. Clement of Alexandria, a very ancient writer, asserts it to be the Apostle Paul's (d); and his name stands in the title of it, in all R. Stephens's exemplars, and in all Beza's copies, excepting one, and so it does in the Vulgate Latin and Arabic versions;

from the order and method of it, first treating of doctrines, and then proceeding to practical exhortations, which is the common form of Paul's epistles: to which may be added various circumstances; as that it was written from Italy, where Paul was a prisoner; and the mention the author of it makes of his bonds, and of Timothy, as well known unto him, who was Paul's companion; besides, the token of his epistles appears in this, namely, his usual salutation to the churches; see Heb_13:23. But above all, the testimony of the Apostle Peter is greatly in favour of its being his, 2Pe_3:15 from whence it clearly appears, that the Apostle Paul did write an epistle to the Hebrews; for to them Peter wrote; see 1Pe_1:1 and what epistle could it be but this? and what Peter refers to is to be found in it; see Heb_10:25

The common objections to its being his are, its not bearing his name, the diversity of its style, and the author of it seeming to be not an apostle, but a disciple of the apostle's: as to his not setting his name to it, the reasons might be, because he was the apostle of the Gentiles, and not so much of the Jews; and because of the prejudice of the Jews against him, both believers, and unbelievers; wherefore had his name been to it, it might have prevented the usefulness of it to the one, and have stirred up the rage of the other: as to the difference of style, different subjects require a different style; and yet in many things there is a likeness, as before observed: and as to the author's not being an apostle, which is concluded from Heb_2:3 the word "us" there is to be understood of the believing Hebrews, the disciples of the apostle, and not inclusive of the author, by a figurative way of speaking often used by Paul; and besides, the apostle received a confirmation of the Gospel from Ananias, who might have been an hearer of Christ, though he was at first taught it by Christ himself; add to this, that whoever was the writer of it, it was written before the destruction of Jerusalem, and when several of the apostles were living, and therefore he could never design by those words to put himself in a succeeding generation. Dr. Lightfoot places it in the year 62, and in the eighth of Nero.

Hope this is helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Astrapho

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »

Kat, you have no idea how much stuff that just cleared up.

Thanks a lot! :D

bible man

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »

thanks, Kat  did this commentary change your mind about the writer?  (Hebrews)

meee

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

Since the writer doesn't identify himself, I think I'll stick with the idea that we can't be sure who Holy Spirit inspired to write Hebrews.
 I've heard the writer didn't think it necessary to say who he was because he was writing to the Hebrews and they knew who it was from, sooooo. Still it's speculating.
meee

Kat

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »

Hi Bible man,

I had never given this much thought, had kind of assumed it was Paul though.  I do not have a strong feeling that it needs to be Paul, but this does make it seem very likely.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Phil3:10

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »

Kat,
Your information was very helpful. I have always felt like the writer was Paul and that perhaps he did not want his readers to know it. Your great contribution to this forum is much appreciated.
In HIM,
Phil3:10

aqrinc

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

Just my 2 cents, since man was the instrument used; not the Originater of any Scripture, does it really matter whom GOD Chooses to use. I ask because it seems of little importance unless someone may want to create an unwinnable argument.

And i do not address that to your question bibleman; but to those in Babylon that will try to make it a bone of contention.

Here is Scripture to support this below.

2Pe 1: 19-21 (CLV)
19 And we are having the prophetic word more confirmed, which you, doing ideally, are heeding (as to a lamp appearing in a dingy place, till the day should be breaking and the morning star should be rising) in your hearts,

20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation."

21 For not by the will of man was prophecy carried on at any time, but, being carried on by holy spirit, holy men of God speak."

2Ti 3:16 (MKJV)
All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

george. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.