bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the word "Possible" a REAL word?  (Read 5715 times)

zander

Is the word "Possible" a REAL word?
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »

I was having a deep think on the bus to my football game last night and started wondering...

I started thinking about this word "possible".  And then i started to think about the scripture "all things with God are possible".

And then i began thinking that actually this is incorrect.

I dont mean to be contradicting God, but does anyone know if this word "possible" in e-sword, when translated means something else?

You see in my dictionary, possible is defined as such:

1. being within the limits of ability, capacity, or realization <a possible but difficult task> b: being what may be conceived, be done, or occur according to nature, custom, or manners <the best possible care> <the worst possible circumstance>
2 a: being something that may or may not occur <a possible surprise visit> b: being something that may or may not be true or actual <possible explanation>
3: having an indicated potential <a possible housing site>

It was interesting to read number 2 - somethign that may or may not occur...

Now according to God, something either will or will not occur, right?  Its already been predestined, right?

So, therefore if something has been predestined there is no "possibility" for it to turn out any differently than that which it has been predestined to do.

For example, if God has decided that i will never live in America one day and it will really NEVER happen, how can it be "possible" that i may live there one day...surely it cannot be possible?

Another example, if God decided that i will never play football again, how can it be "possible" that  maybe one day i might.

So how can "all things be possible"?

you see, i see it more in terms of this way:

There is no limit to what God CAN do or what God is CAPABLE of.  Rather, not all things are possible but all things have the capability of being so.

My only conclusion to this is that the word "possible" either lies in the confines of the free will brigade or is another way of God's communication on man's level so he understands..

Your thoughts are welcomed.

NoviceBeliever

Re: Is the word "Possible" a REAL word?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

Zander:

Strongs Definition
dunatos
doo-nat-os'
From G1410; powerful or capable (literally or figuratively); neuter possible: -able, could, (that is) mighty (man), possible, power, strong.

The following translations from e-sword:
Mar 9:23

(CLV) Now Jesus said to him, "Why the if? You are able to believe. All is possible to him who is believing."

(ESV)  And Jesus said to him, "'If you can'! All things are possible for one who believes."

(KJV)  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

(KJV+)  (G1161) JesusG2424 saidG2036 unto him,G846 IfG1487 thou canstG1410 believe,G4100 all thingsG3956 are possibleG1415 to him that believeth.G4100

(YLT)  And Jesus said to him, `If thou art able to believe! all things are possible to the one that is believing;'

and...

Luk 18:27

(CLV) Yet He said, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

(ESV)  But he said, "What is impossible with men is  possible with God."

(KJV)  And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

(KJV+)  AndG1161 heG3588 said,G2036 The things which are impossibleG102 withG3844 menG444 areG2076 possibleG1415 withG3844 God.G2316

(YLT)  and he said, `The things impossible with men are possible with God.'

and...

Mat 19:26

(CLV) Now, looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, yet with God all is possible."

(ESV)  But Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

(KJV)  But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

(KJV+)  ButG1161 JesusG2424 beheldG1689 them, and saidG2036 unto them,G846 WithG3844 menG444 thisG5124 isG2076 impossible;G102 butG1161 withG3844 GodG2316 all thingsG3956 areG2076 possible.G1415

(YLT)  And Jesus having earnestly beheld, said to them, `With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'

Zander,
To me this means, that we can do nothing of ourselves, but GOD causes everything. GOD is not limited, he may not cause one thing for someone but may cause it for someone else. NB

zander

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »

Thanks NB.

But it still remains the concept of predestination.  If we take the definition of "possible" from our dictionaries its "someting that has the potential to be or happen", or "may or may not occur"..

But with God it either will or will not occur - there is no may or may not...it will or it wont.

So therefore "possible" cannot be real...I dont believe its a real word in the definitions given above...

As i say in my earlier post :

There is no limit to what God CAN do or what God is CAPABLE of.  Rather, not all things are possible but all things have the capability of being so.

meee

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

Also from e-sword

Mat 19:26 Now, looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, yet with God all is possible."

Webster's Dictionary

Possible
POS'SIBLE, a. [L. possibilis, from posse. See Power.]

That may be or exist; that may be now, or may happen or come to pass; that may be done; not contrary to the nature of things. It is possible that the Greeks and Turks may now be engaged in battle. It is possible that peace of Europe may continue a century. It is not physically possible that a stream should ascend a mountain, but it is possible that the Supreme Being may suspend a law of nature, that is, his usual course of proceeding. It is not possible that 2 and 3 should be 7, or that the same action should be morally right and morally wrong.

This word when pronounced with a certain emphasis, implies improbability. A thing is possible, but very improbable.

The word power
Power
POW'ER, n. [The Latin has posse, possum, potes, potentia. The primary sense of the verb is to strain, to exert force.]

1. In a philosophical sense, the faculty of doing or performing any thing; the faculty of moving or of producing a change in something; ability or strength. A man raises his hand by his own power, or by power moves another body. The exertion of power proceeds from the will, and in strictness, no being destitute of will or intelligence, can exert power. Power in man is active or speculative. Active power is that which moves the body; speculative power is that by which we see, judge, remember, or in general, by which we think.

Power may exist without exertion. We have power to speak when we are silent.

Power has been distinguished also into active and passive,the power of doing or moving, and the power of receiving impressions or of suffering. In strictness, passive power is an absurdity in terms. To say that gold has a power to be melted,is improper language,yet for want of a more appropriate word, power is often used in a passive sense, and is considered as two-fold; viz.as able to make or able to receive any change.

2. Force; animal strength; as the power of the arm, exerted in lifting, throwing or holding.

In the Strongs:

G1411
δύναμις
dunamis
doo'-nam-is
From G1410; force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself): - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

meee

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:52:48 AM »

Zander; I know that Ray always says read all the words. But I think we also need to read all the surrounding scripture to get a full concept of what is actually being said, so I have included those from Luke 18 (CLV).
In these verses, Jesus is addressing the deciples.  To me he is instructing them to the fact that man can do nothing of himself (impossible), where only through GOD are things achieved. (possible) NB

Luk 18:1 Now He told them a parable also, so that they must always be praying and not be despondent,
Luk 18:2 saying, "A certain judge was in a certain city, who did not fear God and did not respect man."
Luk 18:3 Now there was a widow in that city, and she came to him, saying, 'Avenge me from my plaintiff.'"
Luk 18:4 And for a time he would not. Yet, after this, he said in himself, 'Even if I am not fearing God nor respecting man,
Luk 18:5 surely, because of the weariness this widow is affording me, I shall be avenging her, lest she, coming, may belabor me into a consummation.'"
Luk 18:6 Now the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge is saying."
Luk 18:7 Yet should not God by all means be doing the avenging of His chosen ones, who are imploring Him day and night? And He is patient with them."
Luk 18:8 I am saying to you that He will be doing the avenging of them swiftly. Moreover, consequently, at the coming of the Son of Mankind, will He be finding the faith on the earth?
Luk 18:9 Now He said, also, to some who have confidence in themselves that they are just, and are scorning the rest, this parable:"
Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the sanctuary to pray, the one a Pharisee, and the other a tribute collector."
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee, standing, prayed this to himself: 'God, I am thanking you that I am not even as the rest of men, rapacious, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tribute collector."
Luk 18:12 I am fasting twice of a sabbath. I am taking tithes from all whatever I am acquiring.'
Luk 18:13 Now the tribute collector, standing afar off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his chest, saying, 'God, make a propitiatory shelter for me, the sinner!' "
Luk 18:14 I am saying to you, this man descended to his home justified, rather than that one, for everyone who is exalting himself shall be humbled, yet he who is humbling himself shall be exalted."
Luk 18:15 Now they brought the babes also to Him, that He may be touching them. Now, perceiving it, the disciples rebuked them."
Luk 18:16 Yet Jesus calls them to Him, saying, "Let the little children be coming be coming to Me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of God."
Luk 18:17 Verily, I am saying to you, Whoever should not be receiving the kingdom of God as a little child, may under no circumstances be entering into it."
Luk 18:18 And a certain chief inquires of Him, saying, "Good Teacher, by doing what should I enjoy the allotment of life eonian?
Luk 18:19 Now Jesus said to him, "Why are you terming Me good? No one is good except One, God."
Luk 18:20 With the precepts you are acquainted: You should not be committing adultery. You should not be murdering. You should not be stealing. You should not be testifying falsely. Be honoring your father and your mother."
Luk 18:21 Yet he said, "These all I maintain from my youth."
Luk 18:22 Now hearing this, Jesus said to him, "Still one thing you are lacking. All, whatever you have, sell, and distribute to the poor, and you will be having treasure in the heavens. And hither! Follow Me."
Luk 18:23 Yet he, hearing all these things, became sorrow-stricken, for he was tremendously rich."
Luk 18:24 Now Jesus, perceiving him becoming sorrow-stricken, said, "How squeamishly shall those having money be entering into the kingdom of God!"
Luk 18:25 For it is easier for a camel to be entering through the eye of a bodkin than for a rich man to be entering into the kingdom of God."
Luk 18:26 Now those hearing it said, "And who can be saved?
Luk 18:27 Yet He said, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."
Luk 18:28 Now Peter said, "Lo! we, leaving our own, follow Thee."
Luk 18:29 Now He said to them, "Verily, I am saying to you that there is no one who leaves house, or wife, or brothers, or parents, or children on account of the kingdom of God,
Luk 18:30 who may not by all means be getting back manyfold in this era, and in the coming eon, life eonian."
Luk 18:31 Now, taking aside the twelve, He said to them, "Lo! we are going up into Jerusalem, and all will be accomplished as to the Son of Mankind that is written through the prophets."
Luk 18:32 For He will be given up to the nations and will be scoffed at and outraged and spat upon,
Luk 18:33 and, scourging Him, they will be killing Him. And the third day He will be rising."
Luk 18:34 And they understand none of these things, and this declaration was hid from them, and they knew not what was said."
Luk 18:35 Now it occurred at His nearing Jericho, that a certain blind man, a mendicant sat beside the road."
Luk 18:36 Now, hearing a throng going through, he ascertained what this may be."
Luk 18:37 Now they report to him that Jesus, the Nazarene, is passing by."
Luk 18:38 And he implores, saying, "Jesus, Son of David, be merciful to me!"
Luk 18:39 And those preceding rebuked him, that he should be silent. Yet he much the more cried, "Jesus, Son of David, be merciful to me!"
Luk 18:40 Now standing still, Jesus orders him to be led to Him. Now at his drawing near, He inquires of him,
Luk 18:41 What are you wanting I shall be doing to you?Now he said, "Lord, that I should be receiving sight!"
Luk 18:42 And Jesus said to him, "Receive sight! Your faith has saved you."
Luk 18:43 And instantly he receives sight and followed Him, glorifying God. And the entire people, perceiving it, give praise to God."

Kat

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »

Hi Zander,

It was interesting to read number 2 - somethign that may or may not occur...

Now according to God, something either will or will not occur, right?  Its already been predestined, right?

So, therefore if something has been predestined there is no "possibility" for it to turn out any differently than that which it has been predestined to do.

For example, if God has decided that i will never live in America one day and it will really NEVER happen, how can it be "possible" that i may live there one day...surely it cannot be possible?

This is true, God is sovereign.  So whatever God has predestined to happen, will happen.  But we do not know what is to happen.  So you do not know if God has predestined for you to live in America or not, so it is "possible."  From our perspective something may seem impossible, because we don't know what God knows.  Look at these Scripture...

Mat 19:23  Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
v. 24  And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
v. 25  When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?"

Well then after Jesus said this, it seems impossible "for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" from their perspective.  So Jesus continues...

Mat 19:26  But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Because they did not yet understand that part of God's plan, they thought it must be impossible for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.  But we understand that it is not only possible, but a certainty, just not the way they were thinking. 

So from our perspective all things really are possible, simply because we don't know what all is predestined to happen yet.  Hope that made some sense so as to be helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

zander

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

Some insightful posts here NB and Kat, i can see what youre saying...its good to have a different perspective from you.

aqrinc

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »

Perspective:

GOD HAS been Here from before the creation of anything. We humans, have had cumulatively, maybe 50 to 60 thousand years by most credible accounts. The Earth Is 4+ billion years old, the universe 15+ billion years old. With ALL GOD'S Experience in this universe alone, which human can even begin to match Wisdom and Define GOD.

15+ Billion years of Creating this universe and humanity Vs 50 to 60 thousand years of humanity.

Isa 55: 8-11 (MKJV)
8  For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor your ways My ways, says Jehovah.
9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

10  For as the rain comes down, and the snow from the heavens, and does not return there, but waters the earth, and makes it bring out and bud, and give seed to the sower and bread to the eater;

11  so shall My Word be, which goes out of My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall certainly do what I sent it to do.

Mar 10:27 (MKJV)
And Jesus looking on them said, With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.

george. :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:49:02 PM by aqr »

G. Driggs

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »

To add to all the other great perspectives posted already, think of it as a faith builder.

Mar 9:23 And, Jesus, said unto him—As for this, If it be possible to thee, all things, are possible, to him who hath faith. (Rotherham)

Php 4:13 I have might, for all things, in him that empowereth me. (Rotherham)

Peace,Love
G.Driggs

24 Grams

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »

Hi all.

Zander, I don't know if you have realised but you seem to be mistaken.

There are many definitions to the word possible.

The possible you keep talking about is the possibility of opportunities....While I believe Scripture is talking about the possible of capability ~( in other words Scripture is talking about No. 1 in your dictionary not No. 2 or No. 3). As in the "so-called" impossible to everyone is possible to God namely...Resurrecting the dead.  :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:18:29 PM by 24 Grams »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.