bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: apostles?  (Read 23934 times)

bible man

apostles?
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:39:46 AM »

Are there any modern day apostles?

G. Driggs

Re: apostles?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:38:16 AM »

Hi Matt, it may have been a title given to just the original twelve Apostles, could be wrong. Did you have someone in mind?

From Strong's Dictionary

apostle

G652
ἀπόστολος
apostolos
ap-os'-tol-os
From G649; a delegate; specifically an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ (“apostle”), (with miraculous powers): - apostle, messenger, he that is sent.

From Vines Dictionary of the NT

Apostle, Apostleship

1. apostolos (G652) is, lit., "one sent forth" (apo, "from," stello, "to send"). "The word is used of the Lord Jesus to describe His relation to God, Heb_3:1; see Joh_17:3. The twelve disciples chosen by the Lord for special training were so called, Luk_6:13; Luk_9:10. Paul, though he had seen the Lord Jesus, 1Co_9:1; 1Co_15:8, had not 'companied with' the Twelve 'all the time' of His earthly ministry, and hence was not eligible for a place among them, according to Peter's description of the necessary qualifications, Act_1:22. Paul was commissioned directly, by the Lord Himself, after His Ascension, to carry the gospel to the Gentiles.
"The word has also a wider reference. In Act_14:4, Act_14:14, it is used of Barnabas as well as of Paul; in Rom_16:7 of Andronicus and Junias. In 2Co_8:23 (RV, margin) two unnamed brethren are called 'apostles of the churches'; in Phi_2:25 (RV, margin) Epaphroditus is referred to as 'your apostle.' It is used in 1Th_2:6 of Paul, Silas and Timothy, to define their relation to Christ."*
* From Notes on Thessalonians, by Hogg and Vine, pp. 59-60.
2. apostole (G651), "a sending, a mission," signifies an apostleship, Act_1:25; Rom_1:5; 1Co_9:2; Gal_2:8.
Note: Pseudapostoloi, "false apostles," occurs in 2Co_11:13.

Thats a tough one, but it seems it literally means "one set forth" or "he that is sent". Good question Matt, you got me thinking now. I have only known the original twelve to be Apostles, but since Jesus was "one set forth" and no doubt Someone who is "he that is sent", so I would have to say yes, there is an modern day Apostle, since He (Jesus) is alive.

1Jn 4:10  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and SENT HIS SON to be the propitiation for our sins.

Heb 3:1  Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Maybe Ray has talked about this somewhere or someone here might be able to help you better.

Peace,Love
G.Driggs

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

One thing I'm sure of is that those out there that call themselves apostles and prophets....aren't!!   ::)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »

i Feel the same way. When someone calls themselves an apostle or prophet i am so very weary and careful of what who they are as a person. I just don't see those who are true apostles, the elect of God etc.. to be so puffed up with pride that they would boast they are.

I mean look at ray himself, the man has extroardinairy strength through God and in my opinion is a spiritual giant, perhaps not as great as paul or some of those in the bible, but hes the damn near closest thing ive ever seen to an apostle of God. Yet he never ever calls himself this, he never ever boast, he is very humble, he upliftsts - US. Even through his tremendous pain and suffering right now, he is thinking of US. To me that is love.. thats amazing. Surely the Son of God has made His home with ray.

I just never ever see ray boasting about anything hes ever done, anything he knows.. his humility is amazing. Even when he could feel those thinking of him as something amazing, he told us all in the letter, don't look at him as anything more than a man, nothing more than the rest of us. Dont idolize him.

To me.. that is amazing, because ray has tremendous power, perhaps the greatest we could ever want, FAITH and he could very well take that and use it to puff himself up above others but HE DOESNT.

If their are any apostles... ray is damn near close to one. I dont want to idolize him, i don't, but ij ust have tremendous respect for him. I've always said, he gave me my faith back, he showed me that God is indeed real and he does indeed love.

Well thats my two cents, my rant, lol sorry it got long winded.

God Bless

Alex

dave

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

AGREED!

Marky Mark

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »

Email to Ray. Hope it helps.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7725.0.html

I have been lately bombarded with questions concerning if there are TRUE COMMISSIONED APOSTLES AND PROPHETS OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST in God's Spiritual body today. I know there are false of both of these offices everywhere literally. But since Jesus does mention pastors, teachers, and evangelists, are there real converted Apostles and Prophets TODAY of the "few chosen" of God's elect? This argument is driving me crazy!

Thanks.
God bless you in Christ.
Ricardo

Dear Ricardo: I have never met or heard of one. I call myself a "teacher." That's all. Actually it is Paul, not Jesus who mentioned these offices of ministry. Of course Paul also said that there would be a great falling away, so I guess it should not surprise us that these ministries are hard to find today.
        God be with you,
        Ray

Peace...Mark

PreechaBoi

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

I too have wondered about the modern day existince of Apostles and Prophets... Seeing how as a previous babylonian minister i was myself i really harped alot on eph 4:8-13 and 1Cor 12:28 to show that the so called "5 fold ministry" was still in operation since it said that these gifts would be used "Until" the unity of the Faith of Believers was set... However since (Lord Willing) my spiritual eyes have been opened to some truth in the word, i've realized that the Apostles of old are still with us today in the Word, even the Prophets of old are with us to this day in the Word... just something to think about.

bible man

apostles part 2
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »

I think I need to reword my question is there any scripture prohibiting modern day apostle?  I wanted the forums insight, this was a major question/debate on my radio show amongst callers  thanks !!!!!!!

Kat

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »

Hi Bible man,

My question would be; who is there to appoint one as an apostle today?  We know that the original Apostles were given their position by Christ Himself and they could have appoint others as apostles with authority I would think too.  But as of today who is there to appoint one as such and how would we look on someone who self-appointed themselves?  Just the way I am looking at this.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »

Is there any scripture prohibiting modern day Apostles.

Not that I am aware of.  Prohibition or permission is up to whatever whichever ecclesiastical authority decides according to its doctrines and traditions.  In other words, worthless.  Absolutely worthless.

Come to think of it, there is no prohibition on False Prophets, either.  "False prophets WILL arise."  God has willed it to be so.  I couldn't name you a single modern day "Apostle" ordained by any earthly authority, real or imagined, that wouldn't also have the "office" of false prophet.  

Of course, I've been out of religion for a long time, so some may have slipped by my radar.   :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:12:57 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Vangie

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »

Might be a new Czar position opening up in charge of appointments.   ::) ;D ;D ;)

aqrinc

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »

bibleman,

I can find where GOD Appointed Some Apostles, none where anyone today is commissioned to do so, will keep searching for answers.

1Co 12:28  
And God set some in the church, firstly, apostles; secondly, prophets; thirdly, teachers, then works of power, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, kinds of languages.

Eph 4:11  
And truly He gave some to be apostles, and some to be prophets, and some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

Eph 4:12  
for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

george.

24 Grams

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

The way I see it there are no modern day apostles (there were only twelve) and quite frankly there is no need for any. The apostles were there to preach the word of God to people who had never heard...and back then most people had never even heard of Christ. Now, though we have the Bible and many people know about religion so it is different. The one's that are spiritually discerned are God's chosen Elect and that is all....IMO.

Oh and John the Baptist was the last Prophet...Prophets were to make way for the Messiah. No?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:24:05 PM by 24 Grams »

mharrell08

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

Oh and John the Baptist was the last Prophet...Prophets were to make way for the Messiah. No?

Yes, that's included, but overall prophets are to speak/testify of the Lord and of His Will for the edification of the Saints.

Rom 12:6  Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us [Paul & other prophets after Christ had risen], whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1 Cor 12:8-10  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy...

Hope that helps,

Marques

Samson

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »

Hi Bible man,

My question would be; who is there to appoint one as an apostle today?  We know that the original Apostles were given their position by Christ Himself and they could have appoint others as apostles with authority I would think too.  But as of today who is there to appoint one as such and how would we look on someone who self-appointed themselves?  Just the way I am looking at this.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hi Bibleman,

My thoughts sorta coincide with Kat's, Jesus appointed the original Apostles, later appointed Paul as an
Apostle to the nations and as explained earlier, Apostle means: " One Sent Forth." Also in some Scriptural examples,
Paul mentions certain Apostles in a bad light, at least towards ones claiming to be Apostles. " For I consider that I
have not in a single thing proved inferior to your Superfine Apostles." 2Cor.11:5(NWT) and " Now what I am doing I
will still do, that I may cut off the pretext from those who are wanting a pretext for being found equal to us in the
office of which they boast. For such men are false Apostles, deceitfull workers, transforming themselves into Apostles
of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an Angel of light." 2Cor.11:12-14(NWT).

So, with the above considered and specific names mentioned in Scripture of any other True Apostles,
one would want to, at least have some caution towards those today claiming to be Apostles. All of the above
doesn't imply there couldn't be, just to proceed with caution.

Kind Regards, Samson.

aqrinc

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:58 AM »

bibleman,

This Scripture may be the answer you are looking for, I will keep looking for and studying this question.

Since the admonition is for all the Church in this age, there does not appear to be any more Apostles appointed.

Eph 2:20 (MKJV)
and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,

Rev 2:2 (MKJV)
I know your works and your labor and your patience, and how you cannot bear those who are evil. And you tried those pretending to be apostles, and are not, and have found them liars.

Rev 21:14 (MKJV)
And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

george. :)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:44:42 AM by aqr »

Marky Mark

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »

Mark 3
13 And He is ascending into the mountain and is calling to Him whom He would, and they came away to Him.
14 And He makes twelve, whom He also names apostles, that they may be with Him, and that He may be commissioning them to herald,
15 and to have authority to cure diseases, and to cast out demons.
16 And He makes the twelve,

I would have to believe that there were no more apostles according to what these verses indicate. Unless I am mistaken, Jesus has not commissioned anyone outside of the twelve.

Except Paul.

Peace...Mark
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:51:33 PM by Marky Mark »

PreechaBoi

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »

so then what was meant by "and WHEN he ascended up on high he gave gifts unto men, ...including prophets in that list?... if john the baptist was the last prophet (which he wasn't according to acts 21:10) then how could christ have given it to John if he hadnt ascended up on high.

these gifts , were they not given after the resurrection of Jesus? so then these five gifts with the Prophet included are in some way different from the prophets of old no?

by the way... i understand thus far that the office of Apostle must be given by Christ himself as in the case even with Paul, However Jesus didn't proclaim him to anyone, Paul had to show them who he was by the word and revelation, which they basically just had to "by faith" believe he was telling the truth.... am i way off here?

If that's true, can Jesus not appoint and send people today for a purpose?

aqrinc

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »

(Prophets) Prophesying in the last day, is one of the Gifts Of The Spirit, below are two of many Scripture witnesses to this. Witnesses highlighted in maroon bold.

Joel 2:28-29 (MKJV)
28  And it shall be afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh. And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy; your old men shall dream dreams; your young men shall see visions.
29  And also I will pour out My Spirit on the slaves and on the slave women in those days.

Act 2: 16-21 (MKJV)
16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17  "And it shall be in the last days, says God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh. And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.

18  And in those days I will pour out My Spirit upon My slaves and My slave women, and they shall prophesy.
19  And I will give wonders in the heaven above, and miracles on the earth below, blood and fire and vapor of smoke.

20  The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before that great and glorious Day of the Lord.
21  And it shall be that everyone who shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Paul was not, and could not be his own witness of his appointment as an Apostle. Scripture teaches that by the mouth of two or three witnesses must any Scriptural Truth be established. Sometimes we need to work harder to find the witnesses, and remember that The Sum Of GOD'S Word Is Truth; and no Prophesy Of The Scriptures can be its own interpretation.

Act 9:
1  And Saul, still breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest
2  and asked letters from him to Damascus to the synagogues; so that if he found any of the Way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

3  But in going, it happened as he drew near to Damascus, even suddenly a light from the heaven shone around him.
4  And he fell to the earth and heard a voice saying to him, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?

5  And he said, Who are you, lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom you persecute. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.
6  And trembling and astonished, he said, Lord, what will You have me to do? And the Lord said to him, Arise and go into the city, and you shall be told what you must do.
7  And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, indeed hearing a voice but seeing no one.
8  And Saul was lifted up from the earth, his eyes were opened, but he saw no one. But they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.

9  And he was three days not seeing, and did not eat or drink.
10  And there was a certain disciple in Damascus named Ananias. And the Lord said to him in a vision, Ananias! And he said, Behold me, Lord.

11  And the Lord said to him, Arise and go into the street which is called Straight and inquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus. For behold, he is praying,
12  and has seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him so that he might receive his sight.

13  And Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard from many of this man, how many evil things he has done to Your saints at Jerusalem.
14  And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your Name.

15  But the Lord said to him, Go! For this one is a chosen vessel to Me, to bear My name before nations and kings and the sons of Israel.
16  For I will show him what great things he must suffer for My name's sake.

17  And Ananias went and entered into the house. And putting his hands on him, he said, Brother Saul, the Lord, Jesus, who appeared to you in the way in which you came, has sent me to you that you might see and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

george :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:15:40 PM by aqr »

daywalker

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »

Are there any modern day apostles?

If there are any true Apostles or Prophets today, this is how we'd find them:

Mat 20:25 Now Jesus, calling them to Him, said, "You are aware that the chiefs of the nations are lording it over them, and the great are coercing them.
26 NOT THUS IS IT TO BE AMONG YOU. But whosoever may be wanting to become great among you, let him be your servant,
27 and whoever may be wanting to be foremost among you, let him be your slave,
28 even as the Son of Mankind came, not to be served, but to serve, and to give His soul a ransom for many."

On 2nd thought, if they are truly living by this commandment, then it would be next to impossible to find them...

Daywalker  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.