bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: personal computer technical assistance  (Read 4806 times)

Amrhrasach

personal computer technical assistance
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »

Yesterday I made a restore point, reinstalled Mcafee Virus protection which didn't work.....again.  "Didn't work" means the virus protection will not update.  But, since I reinstalled it I now have 2 sets of McAfee on my pc, having renamed the first install including now a (2).  Neither of which shows the icon in the lower tray.

Anyway I thought this isn't good so I prompted the restore point to run.   It went through its cycle and restarted and everything looked good up until the point it gave me the desktop but no icons and no message stating "your computer has been successfully restored, etc".    Because the pc seemed to be hung in an endless cycle and not showing the desktop I made a hardboot.   And actually I'm almost, but not quite postive, that windows was attempting an update at the same time of the hardboot.  How so I'm not certain.

After the hardboot all things looked normal, but, I noticed that system restore now shows no scripting or commands options.  Zero.  Just a blank screen.  Also this morning I noticed that "search for files/folders" is also a blank screen.  No script or command options.   And the virus protection still won't show the icon in the lower tray.

Obviously I've corrupted something, but WHAT?,,..and how to restore it?   Is there a back door to restore, or another way to repair this problem?

Windows XP SP 2

Help would certainly be appreciated.

Gary

smeacham

Re: personal computer technical assistance
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »

I'm not sure how to back out of your predicament at this point.  However, my mother's McAfee ended up with two installed at the same time, and the solution was a little program that McAfee can email you that cleans it all up.

Steve

Amrhrasach

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »

Thanks Steve.   I will get in touch with McAfee.

Appreciated.

Gary

firefly77

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »

Hi Gary,
Something you may want to try in the meantime. This has solved a lot of problems for me. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Angie

Run Chkdsk F in Windows XP

Step 1

Be aware that it is no longer necessary to run Chkdsk F from the DOS command line. You can still do it this way if you'd like (open the DOS command line and type "chkdsk /f"), but Chkdsk is now integrated into Windows itself.

Step 2

Run Windows XP normally, allowing it to load fully.

Step 3

Access the "My Computer" menu. You can do this by clicking the Start menu and clicking the "My Computer" menu option. You can also double-click the "My Computer" icon if you've enabled it on your desktop.

Step 4

Right-click on the drive on which you wish to run the Chkdsk F command.

Step 5

Click "Properties" in the right-click context menu.

Step 6

Click on the "Tools" tab in the Properties window.

Step 7

Click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error-checking" frame of the Tools tab.

Step 8

Click in the "Automatically fix file system errors" check box under the "Check disk options" frame in the following window. This is the step which enables the "/f" command in Chkdsk.

Step 9

Click "Start" to begin the Chkdsk scan. If there are a lot of processes running in the background, or if Chkdsk determines that it should be run when you next restart your computer, it will suggest it. It is always advisable to run the Chkdsk from the restart in this case.

Step 10

Set your system to safe mode with the "/SAFEBOOT" command from the MSCONFIG program. Click "Start" and "Run." Type "MSCONFIG" and enable the "/SAFEBOOT" option from the BOOT.INI tab if your anti-virus or anti-spyware software is conflicting with the Chkdsk process.

firefly77

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »

Gary,
Here is a video version of the steps.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4872358_run-chkdsk-f-windows-xp.html

Amrhrasach

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »

Thank you Angie.   The help is certainly appreciated.    Marques suggested the same steps a couple of days back and it worked like a charm.   Problem fixed and I'm now on the path to my next major computer failure as I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I wack something out of order once again. ;D

Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.