bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I went to jail today  (Read 4187 times)

smeacham

I went to jail today
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:05:12 AM »

No, not as an offender...I went to minister the gospel.  The effect it had was powerful.

You see, my cousin is in jail and awaiting trial, and for that reason, I can't say any more about his case.  He's been there for three weeks now, and I just had to go see him.  I've spent one day in jail in my life, and remember how time slowed to a crawl.

I had to go as clergy, since I'm not on the "approved visitor" list.  We had only an hour to visit, and we spent  about 40 minutes talking about how he's doing, things to help him out, his young children, etc.  Then I said, "I suppose I should say something religious, since I'm here as clergy."

I've know my cousin since he was born, but I've never seen him sad until today.  He fought back tears as we talked earlier about physical things, but it was a losing battle when the spiritual came out.  I told him about God's unfailing love.  About God's perfect plan.  About how God created us with weak, carnal hearts as part of that plan, and what that means for us.  And, about how we can burn now, or burn later, in His refining fire.

It was the simple message, the true message.  The one we all understand here, but so few can see it.  I don't think that HE can see it, yet, but the Good News clearly struck home.  It gave comfort and hope, I know.

My brothers and sisters, take joy in the midst of all our sorrow in this world.  And praise God, who loves all mankind, and is faithful, able, and willing to save us all.  "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"  Philippians 4:4

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.  Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.  1 Peter 1:6-9

Steve
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:46:33 AM by Steve Meacham »

Roy Coates

Re: I went to jail today
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »

Outstanding Steve. There is a saying in AA and NA that I think applies to God's message as well. " you have to give it away to keep it" I get so filled with joy when I am given an opportunity to minister to open ears. Glory to God the Father.

Marlene

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:12:37 AM »

Steve, I am so happy you went to visit your cousin in jail. The Bible does speak of visiting those in prisons. We all were in a prison of sorts before we knew the truth. I think it has to give him comfort to know the truth even if he does not understand it all. At, least he knows God is Love. Will pray that Gods will be done in his life.

In His Love,
Marlene

Nelson

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

Hi folks,

Anything that makes us sad is a tribulation for that person but when the Lord opens our eyes and heart then even in the midst of suffering and tribulation we can and do find joy,

• "Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy" (Jo 16:20)

• "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (Jo 16:33)

• "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (2 Cor 1:3, 4)

How wonderful it is to know these things, praise the Lord!

We'll keep you and your cousin in our prayers that he may be set free, both spiritually and physically.

Grace and peace to you and yours

Nelson

gmik

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »

Steve, your post gave me chills.  The good kind.  God Bless you in your love and faithfulness.  that would be a hard thing for me to do. I love it when God's people respond to His call.  You and your cousin are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »

Yes indeed, Gena.

Thanks, Steve.  He really did come to save the lost.  What a gift of God's grace it is to find ourselves in just that state.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.