bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Parables, more Parables, everywhere Parables  (Read 26181 times)

hillsbororiver

Parables, more Parables, everywhere Parables
« on: July 18, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »

Hi Folks,

There are probably very few people who are not familiar with Jesus using and speaking in parables, there are less folks who understand (as Ray is fond of saying) the entire bible is a parable.

Sir Isaac Newton exclaimed that nature, the entire world is a parable.

Do any of you when you are interacting with family, friends, coworkers or complete strangers ever stop and think, "wow  :o this experience is a parable/type/shadow of a spiritual lesson God has provided for me to meditate on and learn from?"

Ever have moments like that?

Peace,

Joe

mharrell08

Re: Parables, more Parables, everywhere Parables
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »

Hi Folks,

There are probably very few people who are not familiar with Jesus using and speaking in parables, there are less folks who understand (as Ray is fond of saying) the entire bible is a parable.

Do any of you when you are interacting with family, friends, coworkers or complete strangers ever stop and think, "wow  :o this experience is a parable/type/shadow of a spiritual lesson God has provided for me to meditate on and learn from?"

Peace,

Joe

Raising children, point blank...from the moment they come out of the womb, it is 'me, me, me' (not to blame them, they know no better). Then, from that point forward, raising them to be responsible, loving individuals.

Similar to our carnal nature being changed into the image of God, by the Will of God.

Great question,

Marques

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

Considering this past week I learned a lot.
My brother recently died and the funeral was Wednesday.
Well it was not without a little drama. Without going into a long story.....................

I'm learning how to deal with family members who seem less than loving in high emotional situations.
It is very difficult at times because you want to be just as angry as they are.
But I realize sometimes the truth I know, and it gives me peace.

If I can understand this experience as a parable/type/shadow then I would relate it to the saints in the kingdom and their role in judgement on the earth. I feel helpless at times when problems arise especially now among my family.
How this will be changed in judgement is always a wonder.
The process in which a heart is changed, know what I mean?

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Roy Coates

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

for sure raising kids is like a big type and shadow of how God is raising me.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »

The thing about kids is so true.  How often are we refered to in scripture as children or little children?  You can get angry and exasperated at your children but would you beat and torture them or send them to 'hell'?  No, of course not.  Yet as carnal as we are and still love our children how much more the heavenly father loves us and yet the church teaches that the heavenly father will torture most of his children for ever in fire.

Or with your children or even a beloved pet you can see danger coming and you constrain them in order to protect them.  The kids wail and the dog is bewildered by your rebuke but neither of them perceives that your doing it for their own good and protection.  There are tremendous parallels and parables here.

kenny

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:12:03 AM »

Hi Folks,

Peace,

Joe

Hey Joe
I have found that anytime, I talk to anyone who is not like minded in the things God has been showing me in his word, it is a parable to them and you can see that they do not understand, at first it bothered me to see so many quote scripture wrong, only to realize that most don't even know what they are doing, They Are Blind!
Kenny

Roy Martin

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »

Everything to me is a parable. I see them in some of the most simple things.
 This is more so since Ive came to BT. It can keep me busy trying to figure them out and mediate on them.
Its usually in the what seems to be the little things that most of them appear, but only if I examine them. Then there are times that they are ever so obvious. I can see or find a parable everyday if I am watchful.

Roy

Ninny

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »

Wow! Joe. Thank you! Life as a parable, maybe that would explain some of the mysteries of life..I have mysteries in my life and I ask God why? why THIS? Why NOW? No answers just more mysteries...God is using these mysteries these parables, I guess to lead us to a place in Him that we do not know yet...sometimes it is a bit frightening...remembering, God is in control...thanks again! :-\
Kathy :-*

G. Driggs

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:40:28 PM »

Hi Joe, I can see this forum of family members fellowshiping as a type/shadow of good things to come. Learned a lot of lessons here, I cant imagine the lessons we will learn when we are finally in His image.  ;)

Peace, G.Driggs

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »

Everything to me is a parable. I see them in some of the most simple things.
 This is more so since Ive came to BT. It can keep me busy trying to figure them out and mediate on them.
Its usually in the what seems to be the little things that most of them appear, but only if I examine them. Then there are times that they are ever so obvious. I can see or find a parable everyday if I am watchful.

Roy

That's pretty much my answer as well.  Doesn't really matter what is going on around me, the Spirit means it for teaching.  There's something very liberating about having a glimpse at how all these things that God is working out will end up.  Pretty much all I have to do is shut up.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

I second, that Dave!

In His Love
Marlene

zvezda

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »

not that i was interacting with anyone, it's just something i read on the web.
the other day i was just reading some business news about google.com, but one thing led to another, i ended up reading the story about sergey brin (co-founder of google), when i was reading his biography, i thought to myself, wow, he's the one God chose to fulfill Daniel 12:4 -- knowledge shall be increased, God has started to fulfill it in the 70s -- when sergey was born.
i am sure many of us came to bible truths through google, without google we might not be here on this forum, so our spiritual knowledge might not be increased. it's interesting that God chose sergey to fulfill His plan, he was born in russia to jewish parents (a physical jew -- first physical, then spiritual), his family was going through trials in russia back in the 70s because they were jews, long story short, hence they immigrated to america, hence google was born and has been used to spread the bible truths, hence we are here learing bible truths. what a parable/type/shadow  :P

that's one of my "wow moments"    ;D

the goldfields

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »

Yes Joe,
There have been moments when I have thought back on conversations and realized the parable that I had unknowingly spoken.
Some might say that I read into things too much but I think it's just that the Kingdom of God is increasingly at the forefront of my mind...

We have two cats that are quite different in nature and do not get along at all.
The eldest cat (black) is not very affectionate while the younger (black and white) is very smoochy and has white fur like wool on his underside.
At the time when my eyes began to open to the truths of the Bible through reading Ray's articles, the younger cat started to bring huge Rubber Tree leaves from the garden to the back door each day.
He would let out loud (somewhat muffled) meows to announce his offering that he would then drop at the door and wait with 'til I would let him in.
I thought of it as a wave sheaf offering!
Since then, the Rubber tree has been chopped down and he has moved on to bringing small lizards (still alive) to the door, most often without their tails! ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:06:40 AM by the goldfields »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »

Thanks for the responses!

I am glad to see you all understanding where I was coming from. Yes, maybe the most profound "parable" we experience in this life is raising children, undoubtedly it is a type/shadow of our Father's love for His children.

How about marriage itself? Can we see any types/shadows here? In any and all scenarios?

I agree with those of you who can see parables in nature, animals as well as the cycles of vegetation, the universal parable of "from seed to maturation" that we witness throughout our entire lives.

How about even inanimate objects or materials? For instance water.

Water is something most of us take for granted, until of course we have too little or too much of it. ;)
The earth's surface is 70-75% water, it is odorless, tasteless and clear in it's purest form and also a very simple compound 2 parts hydrogen, 1 part oxygen, pretty boring stuff right?

We see a lot of references to water in scripture, dividing the waters in Genesis, of course the Flood, the former and latter rains, baptism, etc.

Are there parables within the unique properties of water itself?

..Three times more abundant than all other substances
..One of few inorganic liquids
..Only substance that occurs naturally as a solid, liquid and gas
..The most universal solvent
..Highest surface tension of all liquids except mercury
..Expands upon freezing (by 9%), a property shared with few other substances
..Expands with increasing temperature above 4 deg C
..Greatest heat capacity of all liquids (1 cal/g/deg C)
..Greatest latent heat of fusion and vaporization
..Greatest thermal conductivity except for mercury
..High transparency
..Like air, a highly mobile substance
..A dense liquid and therefore only slightly compressible

Here is more information on this most unique yet plentiful substance.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/waterproperties.html

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/water/chemistryproperties.html

Peace,

Joe

Marky Mark

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Thanks Joe. With all of the talk of water,I'm a little thirsty ;).

John 4
10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
 12Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

John 7
37On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as[c] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Revelation 7
16Never again will they hunger;
      never again will they thirst.
   The sun will not beat upon them,
      nor any scorching heat.
 17For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd;
      he will lead them to springs of living water.
   And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

For a host of living parables, please read Proverbs.Good stuff :).

Peace...Mark

jassy

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »

Considering this past week I learned a lot.
My brother recently died and the funeral was Wednesday.
Well it was not without a little drama. Without going into a long story.....................

I'm learning how to deal with family members who seem less than loving in high emotional situations.
It is very difficult at times because you want to be just as angry as they are.
But I realize sometimes the truth I know, and it gives me peace.

If I can understand this experience as a parable/type/shadow then I would relate it to the saints in the kingdom and their role in judgement on the earth. I feel helpless at times when problems arise especially now among my family.
How this will be changed in judgement is always a wonder.
The process in which a heart is changed, know what I mean?

Antaiwan

not going to contribute to thread but just give my condolences for the loss of your brother. I have a brother who I have not heard from in years. We did not get on but I love him dearly. 

Tess

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »

I believe Romans 1:20 shows there are parables in nature. I think it is wonderful to meditate on these kinds of things.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »

Thanks Joe. With all of the talk of water,I'm a little thirsty ;).

John 4
10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
 12Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

John 7
37On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as[c] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Revelation 7
16Never again will they hunger;
      never again will they thirst.
   The sun will not beat upon them,
      nor any scorching heat.
 17For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd;
      he will lead them to springs of living water.
   And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

For a host of living parables, please read Proverbs.Good stuff :).

Peace...Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional scriptures! Proverbs has always been a favorite of mine, even when I did not read the OT very much, there is comfort in that book of wisdom.

It is interesting to contemplate that the element that is perhaps the most valuable thing in the Universe for sustaining life also happens to be the most abundant thing on earth (at least on it's surface).

I can't wait for the Day when we all have a better idea of just how all encompassing His Spirit is and how it is going to eventually lead us to immortality and perfection!

Peace,

Joe

Nelson

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »

Hi folks,

Another interesting thread,

• "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse" (Ro 1:20)

• "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge." (Ps 19:1, 2)

• "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?" (Ps 8:3, 4)

• "Listen to this, O Job; Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God" (Job 37:14)

• "The works of the LORD are great, Studied by all who have pleasure in them." (Ps 111:2)

• "It shall be established forever like the moon, Even like the faithful witness in the sky. Selah" (Ps 89:37)

• "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors!" (Mt 24:32, 33)

I could go on and on for everything we see, hear and experience will teach us about our Lord and God's purpose,

• "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence" (Col 1:15-18)

If Christ has the preeminence in all things TO US then we are understanding the parables of life. How wonderful is the Lord of glory who gives us eyes to see and ears to hear what the spirit says to the ecclesia. Good thread Joe.

Grace and peace to you all

Nelson

G. Driggs

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 03:06:52 AM »

I believe Romans 1:20 shows there are parables in nature. I think it is wonderful to meditate on these kinds of things.

I did not completely realize this until today. Here above the Arctic Circle in the spring and summer months there is always constant day light. Literally 24 hour Days, no night or darkness. The thought of that just blew me away.

Rev 21:25  And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.

Rev 22:5  And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Isnt that something?

Peace, G. Driggs
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.