bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More info on Ecclesiastes  (Read 6021 times)

lferretj

More info on Ecclesiastes
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if any one had some background knowledge on the book of Ecclesiastes.  In a defense on Hell I've seen writers throw out the verses in Ecclesiastes because it is one man's pessimistic view on life. And then quote  Ecc 10:19 "A feast is made for laughter, And wine makes merry; But money answers everything," and say well that phrase in bold isn't to be taken literally or isn't spiritually true and then use that to say the view on death is also false (Ecc 9:5).  Don't know if I have a question necessarily, but wondered about others peoples thoughts on what they learned from reading Ecclesiastes.   It seems to me that the writer was full of wisdom (Eccl 12:9-11).  Anyway as I read it, it just gives me hope because it seems as though the writer writes from a worldly perspective, all is vanity, but when taken with the rest of the scriptures we know that their is hope from that world view in Jesus Christ when we allow Him to work in and through us.  Christ's sacrifice made it so life has a purpose.   Not sure if this coming across correctly.  Also as for Ecc 10:19 I cannot find any scriptural witnesses to support it whereas Ecc 9:5 has several.  Any other thoughts or POV would be welcome when it comes to understanding Ecclesiastes.  Thanks
      lferretj

G. Driggs

Re: More info on Ecclesiastes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »

Hi lferretj, found a couple matches here for

Ecc 10:19  A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money (silver) answereth all things.

Ecc 7:12  For wisdom is a defence, and money (silver) is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it. (KJV)

Pro 10:20  The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.

Psa 104:15  And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart. (KJV)

Here from the NIrV

Psa 104:15  There is wine to make people glad. There is olive oil to make them healthy. And there is bread to make them strong.

Pro 10:20  The tongues of those who do right are like fine silver. But the hearts of those who do wrong aren't worth very much.

Ecc 7:12  Wisdom provides safety, just as money (silver) provides safety. But here's the advantage of wisdom. It guards the lives of those who have it.

I think King Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes (could be wrong), and he was one of the wisest that ever lived. Im pretty sure he wrote Proverbs though. Seems Ecc 10:19 is speaking of wisdom. Read Psalms 104, its pretty interesting.

Hope this helps, Peace
G.Driggs

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:35:25 AM by G. Driggs »

G. Driggs

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »

James 3 and Proverbs 25 is also pretty interesting check em out.

Peace, G.Driggs

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if any one had some background knowledge on the book of Ecclesiastes.  In a defense on Hell I've seen writers throw out the verses in Ecclesiastes because it is one man's pessimistic view on life. And then quote  Ecc 10:19 "A feast is made for laughter, And wine makes merry; But money answers everything," and say well that phrase in bold isn't to be taken literally or isn't spiritually true and then use that to say the view on death is also false (Ecc 9:5).  Don't know if I have a question necessarily, but wondered about others peoples thoughts on what they learned from reading Ecclesiastes.   It seems to me that the writer was full of wisdom (Eccl 12:9-11).  Anyway as I read it, it just gives me hope because it seems as though the writer writes from a worldly perspective, all is vanity, but when taken with the rest of the scriptures we know that their is hope from that world view in Jesus Christ when we allow Him to work in and through us.  Christ's sacrifice made it so life has a purpose.   Not sure if this coming across correctly.  Also as for Ecc 10:19 I cannot find any scriptural witnesses to support it whereas Ecc 9:5 has several.  Any other thoughts or POV would be welcome when it comes to understanding Ecclesiastes.  Thanks
      lferretj

Hi lferretj & George,

Whenever we see scriptures that appear to defy certain basic principles that we have learned it is a good idea to check the different translations and the root Hebrew or Greek words.

George showed that "money" in this verse could also be translated "silver" in fact when you check out Strong's (3701) or Gensenius's Lexicon (among others) silver is the first definition.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3701&t=KJV

Once again we are confronted by those who (like your friends) attempt to rationalize away spiritual Words with a literal interpretation.

Psa 12:6  The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver (3701) tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

If we keep that (and many other references to silver) in mind with Ecc 10:19 it opens up spiritual understanding.

Remember that God uses parables and riddles to confound the wise, this is but another example.

Peace,

Joe

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:08:52 AM by hillsbororiver »

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »

Called and Chosen type/shadow?
Ecc 10:19  A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
Seems like such a bad translation in light of the hebrew root.
I would easily confuse this with(physical) money being the answer for all my (physical and spiritual)problems.
If I had enough money:
great health
great wealth
no debt
a perfect marriage

H3701
כּסף
keseph
keh'-sef
From H3700; silver (from its pale color); by implication money: - money, price, silver (-ling).
These scriptures help to understand the above.
Pro 10:20  The tongues of those who do right are like fine silver. But the hearts of those who do wrong aren't worth very much.
Psa 12:6  The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver (3701) tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
CEV
Ecc 7:11  Having wisdom is better than an inheritance.
Ecc 7:12  Wisdom will protect you just like money; knowledge with good sense will lead you to life.
gosh if taken literally..................

Antaiwan

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

lferretj

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

Thank you all for the good verses and new insight
    lferretj
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.