bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: name Jesus  (Read 9119 times)

bible man

name Jesus
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »

We have a hot topic brewing on our radio show,the question/challenge is rather or not we should use the name Jesus as opposed to the original hebrew Yesh/Yaw I would like to here from our forum asap THANKS!!!!

aqrinc

Re: name Jesus
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

Hi bibleman,

Try this thread for your info.

http://bible-truths.com/email4.htm#pronounce

Ever since I began looking for the truth, I had wondered about the Consistency of Various Words, Names and Locations through out Bible. Thanks to your site (which is the first I ran into) I found out that it's bad (or deceitful) scholarship to translate Aion as eternity, and to use various words (such as spirit and soul) interchangeably.

But now with those out of the way, I come an issue (of sorts).

I have, through a search, found a couple of Webster's most proper names for most (not all) Bible Prophets, Apostles and The name for Jesus and God (who is sometimes called Jehovah).

Should I now (seeing that I have a good Idea of what God and Jesus' name is) continue to use these translated words? or Should I use the Hebrew Name?

While were on the topic of consistency, How Does Rotherham and Concordant Render their Names?

To make a rather long story short, is it okay that I use these "translated" Names in Prayer? or should I use the Names of The Hebrew and Greek.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, rude, impolite and such is not intended.

Ps: yes I understand the response of your last letter dealing with Faith and how it's impossible to permanently lose grace.

[Ray Replies]

Jeff it is good to know the MEANING of Greek and Hebrew names, but when it comes to how one pronounces them, that is sheer folly. I have groups virtually make a NEW RELIGION out of how we pronounce and spell the names and titles of Jesus and His Father.

Translating "aions" into English "eternities" COMPLETELY changes the meaning of the original word. Calling Jesus by His Greek, Latin, or whatever, as opposed to how His name is pronounced in Hebrew proves NOTHING. And certainly is NOT a sign of spirituality. Besides most of the population of the world who is familiar with the KJV wouldn't even know who you are talking about. Paul became ALL things to ALL people that he might gain some.

We can even call God the Father "Pappa" if we want to, so give me a break!

Jeff, don't ever let people make you feel spiritually inferior to themselves through the use of supposed higher knowledge. If they are shaming you, then SHAME ON THEM!

God be with you.

Sincerely,

Ray

george. :)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

Another email from the front page.

Hi Ray,

...My question is, what is your understanding of our creator's actual name and the name of his son. YHWH? Yeshua? My apologies if the answer is already on your page somewhere.

Keep the truth coming brother.

Jeff

[Ray Replies]

Dear Jeff:

FACTS:

The New Testament was written and preserved in GREEK manuscripts.

GOD said through HIS ANGEL, that HIS SON's Name should be called: "Jesus" [Gk: "Iesous"].

All of the Apostles called God's Son, their Lord, JESUS, the Christ.

God calls His Son, "My SON."

Jesus calls His God, "My FATHER."

Now those are the facts of the New Testament. Hundreds of thousands of idol worshippers call what I have just presented to you, HERESY. No, this is not heresy, but the facts of Scriptures.

God be with you,

Ray

----------------------------------

My answer:  If I were to start, in casual reference, referring to Jesus by His Hebrew name, I would either feel silly or sanctimonious.  Neither of those is 'spiritual', with sanctimonious being the more dangerous.  

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

And another: http://bible-truths.com/email11.htm#Yahshua

I like your site but I was wondering why you continue to use the name of Jesus?  What is your view on the name of Yahshua as the Messiah and Yahweh (YHWH) as the name of God?

I strive to know Them on a more personal basis.  I don't see how Jesus could have been the name God gave Him.  When Yahshua said I come in the name of the Father he meant it. The letter J was the last letter to be included in the alphabet (about 1500 ad).

If there is no other name under heaven by which you may be saved, we should get it right.  He also said He gave His Son a name above all other names.   The info is in any dictionary or encyclopedia.  Jesus is a Greek name.   Why would Hebrew speaking parents in a Hebrew speaking land give there son a Greek name?  Just curious, Eric

[Ray Replies]

Dear Eric:

Thank you for your email and comments.

I just refuse to get caught up in all this "Sacred Name Society" business.

You used the word, "Messiah" which is an Hebrew word. But the New Testament uses the word "Messia" which is the Greek form of the Hebrew, "messiah." Should we use and speak Greek or Hebrew. But "messiah" means "anointed." "Christ" also means "anointed." Which should we use, Messia or Christ? Should we call our Lord, Yahshua, Messia or Jesus Christ?

And there we have that word "Lord." In the Greek, Lord is "kurios" and it means supreme in authority or Lord. But in Hebrew, Lord is "Yehovah" and it means self-existent, the Jewish national name of God. But in Psalm 113:1 we read,

"Praise ye the Lord, Praise, O ye servants of the Lord, praise the NAME OF THE LORD."

But "Lord" is "Yehovah/Yehwah/Jehovah" in Hebrew, yet you say "Yahweh is the NAME OF GOD" whereas the Scripture says "Praise the name OF the Lord," not "Praise the NAME LORD." Furthermore, Jehovah (YHWH) IS JESUS CHRIST, not God the Father!

Jesus also said that, "Before Abraham was, I AM."  Jesus Christ is the "I AM" of the Old Testament. Well, yes, of course, no man has ever seen God the Father, but Moses and others did see and hear "I AM" and "Jehovah." And God told Moses that "I AM" was His name. He told Moses to tell the Children of Israel that God's name is, "I AM."

And so, even those who make a virtual religion out of this Sacred name business have not a clue as that they are talking about.

It is not wrong to call our Lord, "Jesus Christ." Furthermore, the whole world knows Him as Jesus Christ, and they are already confused enough about religion and the Scriptures, that I don't think we need to add one more obstacle to their understanding.

God be with you,

Ray

george.

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »

Good Post George!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

OBrenda

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »

I sure appreciated this Topic!
 :)

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

I, for one, submit that we here at BT have much better things to discuss than by what name we should call our Lord. Heck,
sometimes I just look up and say, "Yo, dude, we gotta talk..." [Yes, yes, typical 'Californian', I know...]

Sorry, but this is a futile debate that always goes nowhere.

Daywalker.  8)

PS: Thanks for posting that email from Ray, George, that's one of my personal favs. Ray's personality really shines through in it...  :D

bible man

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:50:53 AM »

Hey dude?   Naw Ill stick with Father,God lol!!!!

daywalker

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »

Well, if you really wanna get down to the technical details, we can't call Him "father" or "god" or "Jesus" or "daddy" or "I AM" because these are all English translations of what was actually "written" and "spoken" in the Original languages. So maybe we should all learn to speak Hebrew and Greek?

MY POINT was, this debate is futile. So many times when I used to go to church, I'd hear about how Christians get so offended when someone refers to God as "The Higher Power" or "Supreme Being" or "the Great Architect", etc. They treat the title "God" as if this is His ACTUAL NAME, and to call Him something else is "blasphemy".

LOOK: God knows your heart and your mind and your intent and EVERYTHING about you. So if one thinks that sticking to "God" or "Father" or "I AM" makes them holier and purer in the eyes of God then I remind them of what Christ said,

"With their lips they worship Me, but their hearts are far from Me"

Again, we got better things to discuss here at BT then by what name we should call GOD.

Over & Out,

Daywalker.  8)

I, for one, submit that we here at BT have much better things to discuss than by what name we should call our Lord. Heck,
sometimes I just look up and say, "Yo, dude, we gotta talk..." [Yes, yes, typical 'Californian', I know...]

Sorry, but this is a futile debate that always goes nowhere.

Daywalker.  8)

PS: Thanks for posting that email from Ray, George, that's one of my personal favs. Ray's personality really shines through in it...  :D

Yo, dude, we gotta talk...

Maybe its just me Chris but I feel that to honor Jesus for the Respect and Praise in which He so justly deserves also means calling our Lord and Savior His God given title of I AM, Jesus,Jehovah,Yehwah,not something like "hey dude". Hope this helps.

http://bible-truths.com/email11.htm#Yahshua

Dear Eric:

Thank you for your email and comments.

I just refuse to get caught up in all this "Sacred Name Society" business.

You used the word, "Messiah" which is an Hebrew word. But the New Testament uses the word "Messia" which is the Greek form of the Hebrew, "messiah." Should we use and speak Greek or Hebrew. But "messiah" means "anointed." "Christ" also means "anointed." Which should we use, Messia or Christ? Should we call our Lord, Yahshua, Messia or Jesus Christ?

And there we have that word "Lord." In the Greek, Lord is "kurios" and it means supreme in authority or Lord. But in Hebrew, Lord is "Yehovah" and it means self-existent, the Jewish national name of God. But in Psalm 113:1 we read,

"Praise ye the Lord, Praise, O ye servants of the Lord, praise the NAME OF THE LORD."

But "Lord" is "Yehovah/Yehwah/Jehovah" in Hebrew, yet you say "Yahweh is the NAME OF GOD" whereas the Scripture says "Praise the name OF the Lord," not "Praise the NAME LORD." Furthermore, Jehovah (YHWH) IS JESUS CHRIST, not God the Father!

Jesus also said that, "Before Abraham was, I AM."  Jesus Christ is the "I AM" of the Old Testament. Well, yes, of course, no man has ever seen God the Father, but Moses and others did see and hear "I AM" and "Jehovah." And God told Moses that "I AM" was His name. He told Moses to tell the Children of Israel that God's name is, "I AM."

And so, even those who make a virtual religion out of this Sacred name business have not a clue as that they are talking about.

It is not wrong to call our Lord, "Jesus Christ." Furthermore, the whole world knows Him as Jesus Christ, and they are already confused enough about religion and the Scriptures, that I don't think we need to add one more obstacle to their understanding.

God be with you,

Ray

Peace...Mark

OBrenda

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »

Daywalker,

Forgive me I may have missed something here, I didn't see any debating going on. :-\
Bibleman did say there was a debate on the radio show, and asked for comments on this subject.
I saw some very insightful posts of Ray's emails on the subject.

I was encouraged and strengthened in my convictions, that are very similar to yours.

What ever the subject, the carnal nature can turn every single piece of God's message, into a way to feel superior to others.
It's admirable that you don't want to engage in debates. It truly is a waste of time.

Peace,
Brenda
 8)

Marky Mark

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »

FACTS:

GOD said through HIS ANGEL, that HIS SON's Name should be called: "Jesus" [Gk: "Iesous"].

Now those are the facts of the New Testament. Hundreds of thousands of idol worshippers call what I have just presented to you, HERESY. No, this is not heresy, but the facts of Scriptures.

God be with you,

Ray

Chris,

All through Scripture [983 times] the name of Jesus is used through out. Am I to believe that the Sons name used in scripture is a bogus name,not to be used??? What kind of respect to Jesus does using and calling Him by another name such as "dude" accomplish in the heart of the person using such names? I mean hey, why not call Jesus "boy" or "hey you" or "satan" or "late for diner" for that matter.To you it seems to be just a name, but to me, it is the name of the Son of God,not the name of someone not to be honored or respected in full measure . No disrespect to you my brother,but a name like Jesus will never be taken lightly by the Father that gave such a name to His Son. So, neither will I.

Matt 1; 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 1; 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest:

Acts 4;10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Peace...Mark

daywalker

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

Mark, brother, I think we are having a misunderstanding...

I'm not refusing to call God's Son, Jesus. Of course, His Name is Jesus. When I used the term 'dude' I wasn't supposing that was His 'new' name.

Here's how I see it:

Jesus is our brother. Jesus is our friend. I don't have any physical brothers [spiritual brothers, yes...], but I have lots of friends. I call my friend's by their names, but sometimes I say something else, like 'bro' or 'dude'. Is this disrespectful to call my friends 'bro' or 'dude'? I don't think so, and never do they...

So why should Jesus be offended, should I say "brother can we talk", or "bro" or "dude"? I'm not 'changing' His Name to 'bro' or 'dude', I'm just talking to Him as I would any of my close friends or brothers. Even Ray says you can call God "Daddy" if you want. Is this disrespectful? Nonsense.

[Now, if you were use a curse word when speaking to God then that's a whole different story.. but I do not feel that 'bro' or 'dude' are curse words...]

I hope this had cleared it up a little.. I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything... I love all you guys  ;D

Brenda,

As for my comment on 'debating', I wasn't saying there was actual debating going on here.. it was just a general statement. Sorry, if my comment was a bit confusing...

;) :D

- Daywalker  8)

FACTS:

God be with you,

Ray

Chris,

All through Scripture [983 times] the name of Jesus is used through out. Am I to believe that the Sons name used in scripture is a bogus name,not to be used??? What kind of respect to Jesus does using and calling Him by another name such as "dude" accomplish in the heart of the person using such names? I mean hey, why not call Jesus "boy" or "hey you" or "satan" or "late for diner" for that matter.To you it seems to be just a name, but to me, it is the name of the Son of God,not the name of someone not to be honored or respected in full measure . No disrespect to you my brother,but a name like Jesus will never be taken lightly by the Father that gave such a name to His Son. So, neither will I.

Matt 1; 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 1; 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest:

Acts 4;10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Peace...Mark

Marky Mark

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »

I wasn't trying to start an argument or anything... I love all you guys

^^^^^
Chris, right back at-cha :).                                                                                                                       Understand that we all are in this Spiritual boat together[smooth sailing or rough seas], and to be able to discuss the things of the Lord in a peaceful and civil manner is most certainly a Grace bestowed upon all of us here at the BT forums ;).God surely has blessed this site with His loving intent.

All Praise and Glory to the Father.

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.