bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnal or Spiritual?  (Read 4360 times)

Sireci

Carnal or Spiritual?
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »

I’m looking for some guidance.  I’m really struggling right now with the things going on in my life and questioning each thing that I do or think in an effort to decide if its carnal or spiritual and, as a result, whether I should do it or not.  I guess that problem is that I can see so many shades of grey with most anything I think on.  I’m probably over analyzing, but I guess I don’t have a good litmus test to use to make it easier.  I’ve been at this crossroads of sorts in my life for a while now and I’m struggling to move forward because I can’t really feel sure about whether the things I think of are the right things to do or not. 

Let me give some examples:
I’ve got a job right now that isn’t really enough to get by on, I’ve had to borrow from family or friends for a while to help get by, so I’m looking for a new career or additional method for making some money. But what is acceptable?  One job seems more appealing to me because of the title and/or the paycheck.  Am I being carnal by taking it?  Seems like I could easily be guilty of pride of life.  But at the same time it doesn’t have to be carnal when feeling good about a job that has these benefits, does it?  How do I know if I’ve crossed that line or not?

Another is a girlfriend.  I’m single now and have been for some time.  I get offers, but I turn them down.  To be blunt, some of them just aren’t attractive enough for me.  If I’m not attracted, then I’m not attracted, right?  But I’ve been turning down the ones that are attractive for one of two reasons: either I know they’re more interested in getting in bed with me than an in depth relationship or I know that they are not spiritually like minded (Or both).  They may be great gals, but I’m sure others here are realizing that their chances of finding someone equally yoked dropped drastically once they came to start thinking along the lines that Ray teaches here.  So, what do I do here?  Date only attractive ladies (But that’s saying that I’m only interested in the ones that are pushing my lust of the eyes and lust of the flesh buttons, isn’t it?) in the hopes that while we’re dating I can bring her around to also believe what’s being taught here instead of the local church?  Hmm.  That sounds like a mission impossible that even Tom Cruise can’t succeed at.

Last one for now…health and fitness.  I’m really into health and fitness and always have been.  I work out all the time, eat right, compete in athletic events like 5ks and triathlons, etc.  I was raised be parents that thought this way and part of the logic has always been that our bodies are supposed to be temples of the holy spirit.  But now I’m thinking that much of the time I’m just plain being vain.  Where’s the line there?  How much is acceptable focus on my health and fitness and at what point have I made it an idol of the heart?

In a sense I’m glad I’m at this point in my life.  I can see that its probably good to be stopping to consider the different areas of my life and trying to discern whether I’m being carnal or spiritual.  I guess that my challenge is figuring out the practical application of many of the spiritual truths I’m starting to absorb as I study here.

I’ve found myself not pursuing better jobs for fear that I’m being carnally motivated.  I’m finding myself not dating because of the same.  I haven’t stopped working out yet, but the same issue has begun to bother me here too.  I guess I’m looking for some peace.  I want to move on in these different areas of my life, and others, but haven’t figured out how to know for sure that my motivations are in the right place.  I know that all is of God and has already been planned and determined, so I don’t sit around getting worried, but I am getting frustrated.

Any input from those that have made it this far down in my venting would be most welcome.

Mike

OBrenda

Re: Carnal or Spiritual?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »

Hi Mike,

I believe the short answer is...in this life, You never stop looking behind you, to see the beast staring back at You!

It's not the "what" you do, but the motivation from which spirit it comes from.

If You choose a Job that offers more pay only for the respect and admiration of others it's carnal.  If you make a decision that is carnal, God will expose it, and teach you. You will feel shame and naked.  Eventually given God's time you may repeat the same stupid behavior many times.  Then we not only know we have a carnal nature, but also we do not have any control to conquer it on our own.

God is Bigger than our carnal decisions. 
Spiritual is having the humility to accept that God is in full control of our evil actions and has a purpose behind them. (causes)
You can't out think the Beast at his game, If we could the law would have been sufficient.

Genesis 45:4
Then Joseph said to his brothers, "Come close to me." When they had done so, he said, "I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt!  And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of You. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will not be plowing and reaping .  But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

That gives me peace ...that in-spite of the evil I do, God has a great deliverance!
Brenda

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »

Hi Mike,

Ray has done extensive work in this area.

Here is a must read from Ray: The Lake of Fire - Part XIV     The Beast Within

http://bible-truths.com/lake14.html

Here below, is guidance straight from GOD'S Word to you eyes, these Scriptures speak to your questions also.

Heb 3: 1-19 (GNB)
1  My Christian friends, who also have been called by God! Think of Jesus, whom God sent to be the High Priest of the faith we profess.
2  He was faithful to God, who chose him to do this work, just as Moses was faithful in his work in God's house.
3  A man who builds a house receives more honor than the house itself. In the same way Jesus is worthy of much greater honor than Moses.

4  Every house, of course, is built by someone---and God is the one who has built all things.
5  Moses was faithful in God's house as a servant, and he spoke of the things that God would say in the future.
6  But Christ is faithful as the Son in charge of God's house. We are his house if we keep up our courage and our confidence in what we hope for.

7  So then, as the Holy Spirit says, "If you hear God's voice today,
8  do not be stubborn, as your ancestors were when they rebelled against God, as they were that day in the desert when they put him to the test.

9  There they put me to the test and tried me, says God, although they had seen what I did for forty years.
10  And so I was angry with those people and said, 'They are always disloyal and refuse to obey my commands.'
11  I was angry and made a solemn promise: 'They will never enter the land where I would have given them rest!' "

12  My friends, be careful that none of you have a heart so evil and unbelieving that you will turn away from the living God.
13  Instead, in order that none of you be deceived by sin and become stubborn, you must help one another every day, as long as the word "Today" in the scripture applies to us.

14  For we are all partners with Christ if we hold firmly to the end the confidence we had at the beginning.
15  This is what the scripture says: "If you hear God's voice today, do not be stubborn, as your ancestors were when they rebelled against God."

16  Who were the people who heard God's voice and rebelled against him? All those who were led out of Egypt by Moses.
17  With whom was God angry for forty years? With the people who sinned, who fell down dead in the desert.

18  When God made his solemn promise, "They will never enter the land where I would have given them rest"---of whom was he speaking? Of those who rebelled.
19  We see, then, that they were not able to enter the land, because they did not believe.

Heb 4: 1-11 (GNB)
1  Now, God has offered us the promise that we may receive that rest he spoke about. Let us take care, then, that none of you will be found to have failed to receive that promised rest.

2  For we have heard the Good News, just as they did. They heard the message, but it did them no good, because when they heard it, they did not accept it with faith.

3  We who believe, then, do receive that rest which God promised. It is just as he said, "I was angry and made a solemn promise: 'They will never enter the land where I would have given them rest!' " He said this even though his work had been finished from the time he created the world.

4  For somewhere in the Scriptures this is said about the seventh day: "God rested on the seventh day from all his work."
5  This same matter is spoken of again: "They will never enter that land where I would have given them rest."

6  Those who first heard the Good News did not receive that rest, because they did not believe. There are, then, others who are allowed to receive it.

7  This is shown by the fact that God sets another day, which is called "Today." Many years later he spoke of it through David in the scripture already quoted: "If you hear God's voice today, do not be stubborn."

8  If Joshua had given the people the rest that God had promised, God would not have spoken later about another day.
9  As it is, however, there still remains for God's people a rest like God's resting on the seventh day.

10  For those who receive that rest which God promised will rest from their own work, just as God rested from his.
11  Let us, then, do our best to receive that rest, so that no one of us will fail as they did because of their lack of faith.

george :).

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:59:30 PM by aqr »

Phil3:10

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:51:50 AM »

Mike,
I think we all can share in your current experience. I know that I can but I have found so much relief in finally realizing that it is all of GOD. He has me right where HE wants me right now and HE will bring about whatever changes HE has for me in HIS time frame.
Real peace can only be found in HIM who is the PRINCE OF ALL PEACE; JESUS, THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD. We are all carnal sinning machines but real liberty is found only in CHRIST. Our efforts and works are but filthy rags but HIS finished work is perfect. My avatar is Phil3:10 and in that verse I think many can find the real reason for our carnal existence.
We can all try to be spiritual but we all fail miserably most of the time. Real spirituality will only be found in the new body at the resurrection. Hang in there and just get to know HIM who is everything.
Rick

judith collier

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:52:21 AM »

Mike, I am a bit concerned you are 2nd guessing everything you are doing. Even if you make a mistake what harm is it if you learn a lesson. Quit analizing, quit worrying, you are only going to be as holy as God deems. You'll come to a decision if you pray and let it go. Do what you have to. Judy

kweli

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »

Hello Mike

I dont know if you caught this but I'd like to bring it back to light. When put like this one cant help but acknowledge the wisdom:

You can't out think the Beast at his game, If we could the law would have been sufficient.

Very profound indeed Brenda. Hope more people are chewing something from this meat.

All Glory to GOD

Sireci

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input.  I will definitely go back and read the section about the beast again.  Its been a while and I never cease to be amazed at how much I pick up from one of the sections when I read it again. 

In the meantime I'll try to embrace these two lines...
Hang in there and just get to know HIM who is everything.
You'll come to a decision if you pray and let it go. Do what you have to.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.