bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What must I do to be saved?  (Read 6144 times)

emkayfey

What must I do to be saved?
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:06:49 AM »

One of the most reality check I've got on the forum lately was a post by Beloved in which he said "People like getting out of Hell and having more money in their pockets" how interesting, how true!
My real point here however is; I know about Ray's teaching about salvation being a process, and something that we are going through, I really want to understand that in light of theese scriptures;

Acts 16:30-31 (N I V) ; 30He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"  31They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."
Acts 16:30-31 (Concordant version) ...prostrates to Paul and Silas, and, preceding them out, averred, "Masters, what must I be doing that I may be saved?" 31 Now they say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household."

Maybe I'm missing the point, the above seem to suggest and understood by the apostles as 'saved' as in completion of a process. Believe on the Lord Jesus = Salvation. What do you, very helpful BTers think?

chav

Re: What must I do to be saved?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:03:15 AM »

Hi Emmanuel

these two audios might  help regarding the subject of how and when we are saved

http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05 GettingSaved_p1.mp3

http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05 GettingSaved_p2.mp3

All the best

Dave

emkayfey

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »

Thanks Dave, those link seems dead, but I'll search for The audios.

space.ace.jase

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:56 AM »

Hi emkayfey,

The transcript of that audio is here:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3849.0.html

The audio links can be found here also (just fixed up your links Dave):

Getting Saved part 1: http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05 GettingSaved_p1.mp3
Getting Saved part 2: http://bible-truths.com/audio/N05 GettingSaved_p2.mp3

It's quite long but a VERY good read. I think Ray really nailed it on his teaching here; leave no question in my mind about what getting saved is all about.

I should know I've read it about 8 times  ;D

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

Hi emkayfey,

Just a few passages Of Scripture to show the other part of that statement, Ray has covered this extensively in the Audios and the transcripts recommended. It is a great practice to listen to and read them several times, they are gifts that keep on giving.

All Scripture quotes from (MKJV)

Act 16:31  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your household.

Mat 7:21  Not everyone who says to Me, Lord! Lord! shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven.

Luk 6:46  And why do you call Me Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say?

Joh 8:31  Then Jesus said to the Jews who believed on Him, If you continue in My Word, you are My disciples indeed.

Act 13:43  And the synagogue being broken up, many of the Jews and of the devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas; who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

Act 14:22  confirming the souls of the disciples, calling on them to continue in the faith and that through much tribulation we must enter into the kingdom of God.

Rom 11:22  Behold then the kindness, and the severity of God; on those having fallen, severity; but on you, kindness, if you continue in the kindness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

Col 1:23  if indeed you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which you have heard and which was proclaimed in all the creation under Heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister,

1Ti 2:15  But she will be kept safe through childbearing, if they continue in faith and love and holiness with sensibleness.

Heb 8:9  not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt," because they did not continue in My covenant, and I did not regard them, says the Lord.

1Jn 5:18  We know that everyone who has been born of God does not continue to sin, but the one born of God guards himself, and the evil one does not touch him.

george. :)

Kat

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »

Hi emkayfey,

Acts 16:30-31 (Concordant version) ...prostrates to Paul and Silas, and, preceding them out, averred, "Masters, what must I be doing that I may be saved?" 31 Now they say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household."

I think that the key to this verse is this phrase "Believe on the Lord Jesus."  What does this word "believe" entail, well quite a lot.

Here is an excerpt from article no. 5 'A Scriptural Explanation of the Lake of fire.'

http://bible-truths.com/lake5.html -------------------------------

WE MUST BELIEVE THE SCRIPTURES

Here is another verse that will test your faith in the Scriptures:

"That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved" (Rom. 10:9).

Is not this Scripture so absolutely fundamental to our faith that every Christian on earth believes every word of this Scripture? Let us see. Test yourself: First we must "confess Jesus." Not just saying the name of Jesus as a real historical Figure, but EVERYTHING THAT HIS NAME STANDS FOR! Jesus means "Jehovah-Saviour." Saviour of what? Saviour of whom? Here’s a Scriptural answer:

"And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [Jesus—Jehovah - SAVIOUR] TO BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD" (I John 4:14)!

Do you know of a verse anywhere in the Bible that says Jesus will FAIL at being "The SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD?" Do you then completely believe Rom. 10:9 as the infallible Word of God? Do you believe that Jesus IS what His name SAYS He is—Saviour of THE WORLD? Do you believe that His Father gave Him a commission that could only be hoped for, but never accomplished? Do you believe that Jesus Christ will FAIL TO LIVE UP TO HIS NAME? Well, then, if you believe that Jesus IS the Saviour of the world, then you certainly cannot believe that He will NOT save most of the world but rather torture most of the world for all eternity in a lake of fire.
v
v
Back to our Scripture, second part of Rom. 10:9, "…that God has raised Him from the DEAD?" Do you believe that? Do you really? Or do you believe as orthodoxy does that Jesus (Himself) NEVER DIED! That’s right. Jesus Christ (the REAL Jesus) Himself, is said to have never died. Theologians teach that only His body died. That Jesus Himself was not DEAD, but was rather on a preaching mission, somewhere in a place called Hell, during the time He was supposed to be dead, and was supposed to be in the heart of the earth, and was supposed to be fulfilling the sign of Jonah, and was supposed to be paying for the sins of the world by suffering death, and supposed to be fulfilling prophecy, all in accord with what His Father ordained for Him to do. Do you believe "JESUS" died or that only His "body" died?

But some will protest: "How can GOD die?" God can die IN THE FORM OF A MORTAL MAN! Jesus emptied Himself, lowered Himself, gave up His glory to BECOME A MAN for the express purpose of DYING!

"But we see Jesus, Who was made a little lower than the angels for the SUFFERING OF DEATH…" (Heb. 2:9).

Remember that just as we have a spirit in us that gives us life and at death preserves who we are, Jesus likewise had a spirit that He gave up to His Father when He died. The life of Jesus was preserved in that spirit even though He, Himself, was unconscious and DEAD for three days.

Please understand that what I am saying does in no way negate the faith of those who believe that Christ DIED for them, but do not as yet understand that Jesus Himself died, and not just His shell, His housing, His clothing of a physical body. It is essential that one believe the Gospel, that Christ died for them and that God raised Him again from the dead in order to be saved. This is the gospel, of course, and one doesn’t have to "understand" a thousand and one other facts surrounding the gospel in order to be saved. But let’s also understand that the faith to believe and the faith to be saved is as much a GIFT from God as is the very GRACE by which we are saved. It isn’t that we provide one (faith) and then God will provide the other (saving grace). No. God provides BOTH (Eph. 2:08). Here is what we must believe in order to be saved:

"That if thou shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, YOU SHALL BE SAVED" (Rom. 10:9).

"Sirs [Paul and Silas] what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and YOU SHALL BE SAVED…" (Acts 16:31).

"We believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we SHALL BE SAVED…" (Acts 15:11).

"…whereby you and all your house SHALL BE SAVED ... God gave them the like gift as He did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ…" (Acts 11:14 & 17).

"…that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, Whom God raised from the dead…Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we MUST BE SAVED" (acts 4:10 & 12).

"I [Jesus the Christ] am the door: by ME if any man enter in, HE SHALL BE SAVED..."(John 10:9).

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord SHALL BE SAVED" (Acts 2:21).

And, of course, EVERYONE in heaven and earth will ultimately believe this gospel:

"That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven, and in earth, and under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:24:37 AM by Kat »

musicman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 12:51:43 AM »

You must tithe to the church of Musicman (that's before tax folks).

emkayfey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

Hmm, I think Kat nailed it, scriptures have to be looked at in light of other scriptures, quoting Kat "I think that the key to this verse is this phrase "Believe on the Lord Jesus."  What does this word "believe" entail, well quite a lot."

I threw this out knowing fully well that the answer is right there. I actually downloaded to iphone the video of Ray titled How hard is it getting saved, will listen to it again. Good to get reminded once in a while.

...And I will not tithe to musicman's church or any church indeed, before or after tax ;D).

Marky Mark

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »

Hmm, I think Kat nailed it, scriptures have to be looked at in light of other scriptures, quoting Kat "I think that the key to this verse is this phrase "Believe on the Lord Jesus."  What does this word "believe" entail, well quite a lot."

I threw this out knowing fully well that the answer is right there. I actually downloaded to iphone the video of Ray titled How hard is it getting saved, will listen to it again. Good to get reminded once in a while.

...And I will not tithe to musicman's church or any church indeed, before or after tax ;D).

We have to believe what Scripture says. Amen.

Deu 19:15 A single witness shall not rise against a man regarding any depravity or any sin. In any sin which one may sin, the matter shall be confirmed at the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses.

Mat 18:16 Yet if ever he should not be hearing, take still one or two others along with you, that at the mouth of two witnesses, or of three, every declaration may be made to stand."

2Co 13:1 Lo! This is the third time I am coming to you. At the mouth of two witnesses, and three, shall every declaration be made to stand. "

Rev 11:3 And I will be endowing My two witnesses and they will be prophesying a thousand two hundred sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."

Peace...Mark

aqrinc

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »

Hi Mark,

Those Scriptural Witnesses are the bedrock of proving anything, we take as proof of GOD'S Word to us. It is Good Enough For GOD; so should be good enough for us, to whom it is written.

That is why These Other Scripture Are as important; in fact every Scripture is IMPORTANT as is It's WITNESS:

2Ti 3: 16-17 (MKJV)
16  All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17  that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work.

2Pe 1: 20-21 (CLV)
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation."
21 For not by the will of man was prophecy carried on at any time, but, being carried on by holy spirit, holy men of God speak."

1Ti 5: 17-19 (GW)
17  Give double honor to spiritual leaders who handle their duties well. This is especially true if they work hard at teaching the word of God.
18  After all, Scripture says, "Never muzzle an ox when it is threshing grain," and "The worker deserves his pay."
19  Don't pay attention to an accusation against a spiritual leader unless it is supported by two or three witnesses.

1Co 9: 9-11 (CLV)
9 For in the law of Moses it is written: "You shall not muzzle the threshing ox. Not for oxen is the care of God!"
10 Or is He undoubtedly saying it because of us? Because of us, for it was written that the plower ought to be plowing in expectation, and the thresher to partake of his expectation."
11 If, in expectation, we sow the spiritual in you, is it a great thing if we shall reap of your fleshly things?

george. :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:08:02 PM by aqr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.