bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning the other cheek  (Read 5274 times)

myms

Turning the other cheek
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:01:04 AM »

Hi all
I would appreciate some pearls of wisdom! I believe I have sufficient evidence to show that I am being 'constructively dismissed' by my employer. I haven't left my job yet, but my work is being undermined, my role and salary questioned, and I feel physically sick a lot of the time - stress I suspect! If I complain through the companies disciplinary procedures, or if I leave and take it to an employment tribunal, am I guilty of 'not turning the other cheek'?
Your comments will be gratefully received and prayerfully considered.
Myms

24 Grams

Re: Turning the other cheek
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »

No, not in my opinion anyway...

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »

Hi all
I would appreciate some pearls of wisdom! I believe I have sufficient evidence to show that I am being 'constructively dismissed' by my employer. I haven't left my job yet, but my work is being undermined, my role and salary questioned, and I feel physically sick a lot of the time - stress I suspect! If I complain through the companies disciplinary procedures, or if I leave and take it to an employment tribunal, am I guilty of 'not turning the other cheek'?
Your comments will be gratefully received and prayerfully considered.
Myms

Myms, these are the words of our Lord and Savior:

Matt 18:15-16  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

If you cannot resolve this situation with the people who are directly affecting you, then you are free to seek 'two or three witnesses' to hear your cause.

Turning the other cheek is in regards to forgiving all that have offended or trespass against you...this should be done whether the situation works out in your favor or not. But it is not a reason to be used as a doormat.

Just trust in the Lord to work out your situation (always easier said than done, but true nonetheless)  :)

Rom 8:28  Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God...

Hope this helps,

Marques

myms

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »

Hi Marques

That was very helpful, I'd forgotton about that verse! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Myms

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »

Hi Myms,

This is not the original Scriptures i was looking for to address your situation. However, it does speak directly to how we should handle adversity. It is a hard thing to do physically, but if we have no stake in this world, other than to learn and grow in humility; this is a great place to practice.

2Ti 2: 24-26 (GW)
24  A servant of the Lord must not quarrel. Instead, he must be kind to everyone. He must be a good teacher. He must be willing to suffer wrong.
25  He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth.
26  Then they might come back to their senses and God will free them from the devil's snare so that they can do his will.

george. :)

myms

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:22:32 AM »

'if we have no stake in this world'

Ouch George, that hit home! So easy in theory, so hard in practice!

Thank you for the timely reminder.

Myms

Terry

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

I've been reading these scriptures over and over and i'm wondering if i'm seeing them right

25  He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth.

Correcting Those who oppose the good news, and what is this good news,
Who is it that opposes this good news ( the world Religious System)

Isn't this what they oppose

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach because we trust in the living
God, Who is the Saviour of all men, especially of those that believe" - I Tim. 4:10.

26 Then they might come back to their senses and God will free them from the devil's snare so that they can do his will.

Then they might come back to their senses, wouldn't this be the called surely those not called couldn't come back seeing they have never been called  to start with.

am i seeing this right,

Peace Always

Terry

Terry

Marky Mark

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »

I've been reading these scriptures over and over and i'm wondering if i'm seeing them right

25  He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth.

Correcting Those who oppose the good news, and what is this good news,
Who is it that opposes this good news ( the world Religious System)

Isn't this what they oppose

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach because we trust in the living
God, Who is the Saviour of all men, especially of those that believe" - I Tim. 4:10.

26 Then they might come back to their senses and God will free them from the devil's snare so that they can do his will.

Then they might come back to their senses, wouldn't this be the called surely those not called couldn't come back seeing they have never been called  to start with.

am i seeing this right,

Peace Always

Terry

Terry,seeing that this Scripture evolves around being a servant of the Lord and doing the Lords will,why yes,this would be of the Lords calling and of His choosing.Hope this helps.

GOD'S WORD Translation

2 Timothy 2 
 20 In a large house there are not only objects made of gold and silver, but also those made of wood and clay. Some objects are honored when they are used; others aren't. 21 Those who stop associating with dishonorable people will be honored. They will be set apart for the master's use, prepared to do good things. 22 Stay away from lusts which tempt young people. Pursue what has God's approval. Pursue faith, love, and peace together with those who worship the Lord with a pure heart. 23 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments. You know they cause quarrels. 24 A servant of the Lord must not quarrel. Instead, he must be kind to everyone. He must be a good teacher. He must be willing to suffer wrong. 25 He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth. 26 Then they might come back to their senses and God will free them from the devil's snare so that they can do his will.

Peace...Mark

9440geoff

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »

Hi Myms,

I can only comment from my own perspective, and I would not call this a pearl of  wisdom, but of necessity.

When we moved from England to France about four and half years ago we found that the answer to everything was "no".  I'm talking about in official circles, not friends and neighbours. We soon realised that this is a part of the culture here, and even French people will admit to having to fight for everything.

So, if we had "turned the other cheek" at the way we were (and still are) treated by certain "official" organisations, we would probably have gone back to England long ago.

We may not be of this world, but we certainly have to live in it! I believe Jesus would have us fight for what is just and fair.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.