bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hosea  (Read 7349 times)

gmik

Hosea
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »

Hi folks.  Just finished reading (twice) the book of Hosea.  Other than the obvious-he married a harlot to prove God's love-does anyone have any gleanings?  Did Ray ever comment? Just wondering.  Thanks.

mharrell08

Re: Hosea
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Hi folks.  Just finished reading (twice) the book of Hosea.  Other than the obvious-he married a harlot to prove God's love-does anyone have any gleanings?  Did Ray ever comment? Just wondering.  Thanks.

Hello Gena,

Thank you for this thread as I had never completely read the book of Hosea until now. I've started reading it the day you created this post and have just finished today. I thought of a few other scriptures which are additional witnesses of these passages of Hosea:

Hosea 1:10  Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Witness:

Rom 9:24-26  Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? As He saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Acts 11:16-18  Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 13:46-48  Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Rom 2:28-29  For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

We have a shadow/type of a Jew (The Lord) taking a harlot (Gentile) as a wife, this wife would then take after her husband's beliefs [...unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory (Jude 1:24)]

God then speaks of Israel, playing the harlot by going after idols, and being unfaithful to her first love or husband [...thou hast left thy first love (Rev 2:4)].

I think Hosea is a good read along with the audio from 'Gospel of the Kingdom'...Ray really goes into great detail regarding Israel, after the flesh, and Israel of God, in the spirit.

Excerpt from 'Gospel of the Kingdom' (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6142.0.html):

But he said you will be unto Me a holy nation and He is talking to Israel.  Now this has got to come about.  Either Israel has to become holy nation, a kingdom of priests.  A kingdom implies kingship, royalty implies kingly, so if it’s royal it’s kingly.  King… priests… holy nation… Israel.  He said it, you shall be, thus says the Lord.  It must happen.  But it didn’t happen.  It never happened historically, never happened.

It was a type.  The Levites are gone, the priests of Aaron are gone, the Tabernacle and in later times the Temple, it’s all gone.  They never became a holy nation.
But the Christian world looks for it to happen yet, over there in Palestine.  Some of the most carnal people that ever lived and they say they are going to be that holy nation, that it’s going to happen through them.  It will not happen through them.  It will happen through God’s Israel though, make no mistake about that.

This was a type, the whole Old Testament is a type.  Even though the first 5 books are called the Torah - the Law, the whole Old Testament is also referred to as the Law.

Now Hebrews 10, here we’re not talking about the 10 Commandments, we are talking about the Old Testament - the old covenant - the Law of Moses and everything that went with it, the Law.

Heb 10:1  For the Law which has a shadow of good things to come…

There it is.  There is your answer.  God said Israel, all of you Israelites will be a kingdom of priests, a holy nation.  And Paul tells us that it was a type, a shadow of good things to come, not the very image of the things.

Heb 10:1   … not the very image of the things, appearing year by year with the same sacrifices, which they offered year by year continually, make the comers there unto perfect.

These are just a few things that came to mind when reading Hosea...please excuse me Gena if I am steering the thread in the wrong direction and do share with us as well.

Thanks,

Marques

gmik

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »

Excellent.  That helps a lot! I keep forgetting about the types and shadows!  Thanks.

I am glad you read Hosea.  Its funny there are just "certain" books in the Bible I have never bothered to read!

Hosea 6:1Come and let us return to the Lord; For He has torn, but He will heal, He has stricken, but He will bind us up.

I like that God is the giver and taker here...very plain, but the note at the bottom of my Bible says...this shouldn't be taken as a blaming of God!! ha

then Hosea 6:2After two days He will revive us, on the third day He will raise us up that we may live in His Sight.

There are little gems all thru this book.

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:17:17 PM »

Wow! Great stuff Marques! I think you've inspired me to read Hosea tonight!  ;D 8)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »

Nice catches Marques and Gina!
I've never read Hosea either! Think I will tonight! ;D

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

Hi Gena,

Hosea actually is a book I have looked into many, many times, although he is considered a "minor prophet" these chapters are chock full of types and shadows that are more than incredible. I won't delve into any conclusions but I will present some scriptures that expound on what God's Spirit inspired him to write.

As a side note check out the Hebrew meaning of the name of Gomer's first born;

Hos 1:4  And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel;H3157 for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezree upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.

H3157
יזרעאל
yizre‛ê'l
yiz-reh-ale'
From H2232 and H410; God will sow; Jizreel, the name of two places in Palestine and of two Israelites: - Jezreel.

Remember there are two women mentioned in Hosea, as there are in Revelation, can you discern the pattern?

Hos 1:2  The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

And then we have;

Hos 3:1  Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress (weren't/aren't the elect an adultress at the time they were called out?), according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.

Hos 3:2  So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley: (The barley and silver is a whole other story but I will not even go into that at all, search it if inclined).

Hos 3:3  And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.

Check out the two women from Revelation 12 & 17;

Revelation 12

1And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

5And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

6And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

13And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

14And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

15And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.

16And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

17And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 17

1And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

7And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

8The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

9And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

10And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

12And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

13These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

14These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

15And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

16And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

17For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

18And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Who might be the Husband Hosea represents?

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Peace,

Joe

Linny

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »

Sidestepping a bit, my favorite author is Francine Rivers and the first novel of hers that I read was a fictional account using the book of Hosea as the theme.

"Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers is a historical romance novel set in the 1850s Gold Rush in California. The story is taken from the book of Hosea from the Bible. Its central theme is to portray the redeeming love of God towards sinners."

Mind you, I haven't read her since coming to BT, but I always loved her writing.

This post has made me want to read both again!  ;D

Lin

the goldfields

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:36:47 AM »

Hi,
This thread caused me to read through Hosea again too.
When I finished reading I felt like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman".  :(...... :)

Romans 13:13 As in day, decently we should walk, not in revelings and in drinkings, not in whoredoms and in debaucheries, not in strife and envyings;
                14 but put you on the Lord Jesus Anointed, and of the flesh provision not make you for lusts.
(The Emphatic Diaglott)

I also looked into Hosea 2:16 and found this on Wikipedia:

Baali (bā´əlī) is a former title used by the Israelites for God. The title, which means "my lord," is derived from the possessive form of the honorific Baal. The Judeo-Christian prophet Hosea (Book of Hosea 2:16) reproached Jews for applying the title to Jehovah. Instead, he said, they should have used the endearing title Ishi, which means "my husband". The verse goes

"It will come about in that day," declares the LORD, "That you will call Me Ishi And will no longer call Me Baali.

I don't think Hosea was reproaching the Jews in this verse but the Wikipedia entry may help with the meaning of Baali (my lord) and Ishi (my husband).

Marky Mark

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

Hi Gena,

Hosea actually is a book I have looked into many, many times, although he is considered a "minor prophet" these chapters are chock full of types and shadows that are more than incredible. I won't delve into any conclusions but I will present some scriptures that expound on what God's Spirit inspired him to write.

As a side note check out the Hebrew meaning of the name of Gomer's first born;

Hos 1:4  And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel;H3157 for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezree upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.

H3157
יזרעאל
yizre‛ê'l
yiz-reh-ale'
From H2232 and H410; God will sow; Jizreel, the name of two places in Palestine and of two Israelites: - Jezreel.

Remember there are two women mentioned in Hosea, as there are in Revelation, can you discern the pattern?

Hos 1:2  The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

And then we have;

Hos 3:1  Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress (weren't/aren't the elect an adultress at the time they were called out?), according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.

Hos 3:2  So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley: (The barley and silver is a whole other story but I will not even go into that at all, search it if inclined).

Hos 3:3  And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me many days; thou shalt not play the harlot, and thou shalt not be for another man: so will I also be for thee.

Check out the two women from Revelation 12 & 17;

Revelation 12

1And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

5And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

6And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

13And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

14And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

15And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.

16And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

17And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 17

1And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

7And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

8The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

9And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

10And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

12And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

13These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

14These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

15And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

16And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.

17For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

18And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Who might be the Husband Hosea represents?

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Peace,

Joe

Joe,thanks for the post. There are so many pearls in there, that one would have no choice, but, to take a liking to oysters ;) ;D.

Peace...Mark

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »

Hi Mark,

Happy to hear you received some food for thought there.

I love it when we discover OT scriptures that flesh out (so to speak) the good news of the New Testament and that add more layers of understanding by comparing the two testaments.

There are so many that Ray has pointed to in his articles and that has really motivated me to search and compare these things as well, His Word is more than awesome, amazing and incredible!

Peace,

Joe

P.S. I was going to add another bit of this type but since it is not in Hosea perhaps I will start a new thread and see where it takes us.  ;) 

gmik

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »

Wow!!  This is exactly what I was hoping for. Joe I love comparing scripture/OT to NT. I nver would have compared to Rev. and Corinthians etc...

Thank you all for your input-I will be studying what you all wrote.

Lin, I read that same book and cried over how much God loves us.  I would recomend that book to everyone-well its mostly for women!!

I am so glad this thread inspired some of us to get into this book.

edpro.pits@yahoo.com

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

WOW. Pretty incredible stuff.
Thank you guys.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »

I remember reading one of Ray's papers several days ago (might have been in the 12 spiritual truths one) that unless/until we begin to see ourselves in the old testament types and shadows that we have not even yet begun to overcome the carnality and the beast that lives within us.  I was watching a movie about the ten commandments today and all the times that faithless Israel doubted God in the wilderness even though he proved himself to them time after time and considering that my life was as an open panorama before me.  How often has he proved himself to me and yet I still doubt?  You see something like that and go "Man, that's me!!"  The mercy of God reminds me more and more to be merciful to others because brother do I need mercy!!

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »

How often has he proved himself to me and yet I still doubt?  You see something like that and go "Man, that's me!!"  The mercy of God reminds me more and more to be merciful to others because brother do I need mercy!!

True that.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.