bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any more recent bible versions that do not use the word "hell"? Are  (Read 9788 times)

newoldstock

there any more recent bible translations that are accurate and on your approved list? Most of mine translate Sheol, hades and Gehenna as hell. The most literal that I now own appear to be the LITV and the Modern King James Version (both by Green).

Roy Coates

I am pretty sure these three don't, concordant, rotherhams, emphatic diaglott. I cant say 100 percent cause I don't own any but the concordant. My KJV no longer translates those words to hell, i used a pen and corrected it ;D I cant tell you these are on any "approved list" but I know many members reference them often. Prayer and meditation, God will guide you. Hope this helps, Roy

NoviceBeliever

I recently purchased 4 bibles (YTL, Rotherham, Diaglott, and NASB versions) and a Strong's & Vines' Concise Dictionary.  I found the best source to be Amazon.com to find all these, as it was easy to order from different locations all at once. The Diaglott was a little harder to find, and I purchased a used copy. The NASB was one that Ray mentioned in another email (sorry I couldn't find it) that he uses often (red letter version)

Here is an email from Ray on this topic. 

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3020.0.html

Where can I find a bible that has the  correct interpretation of both the new and old testaments?
    a minister seeking the truth
    ken

Dear Ken:
    Bibles are not supposed to be "interpretations" of anything. Bibles are supposed to be "translations" from one language into another language, and there is no such thing as a "correct" translation. Some are better than others. Much of my teaching is taken up with showing people what the Scriptures (the oldest manuscripts of Scriptures--usually Hebrew and Greek) SAY, and not what they MEAN.  One cannot understand what the Scriptures mean (their interpretation) before one knows what they actually SAY.  I recommend, the Emphasized Bible by Rotherham, The Concordant Literal Version (found at: concordant.org), the Emphatic Diaglott, as being better translations than most others.
    God be with you,
    Ray

Marky Mark

From bt.com
WHICH BIBLE TRANSLATION IS BEST?

http://bible-truths.com/bible.htm

The solution to better understanding the Scriptures and the will of God is not solely a matter of a better translation or a perfect translation. The early church had NO translations—they had the original Greek signatures, and copies of these signatures in the Greek language, which was universally understood throughout much of the Roman Empire—even Egyptians spoke Greek. And yet, the first century was a time of MASS APOSTASY in the church. Here is Scriptural proof:

"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them" (Acts 20:29-30).

"HOLD FAST THE FORM OF SOUND WORDS, which you have heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing, which was committed unto you keep by the Holy Spirit which dwells in us. This you know, that ALL THEY WHICH ARE IN ASIA BE TURNED AWAY FROM ME…" (II Tim. 1:13-15).

So, even a perfect translation would not keep carnal men from turning from the Truth.

I have a number of translations. Not because they are all necessary to know the Truths of God, but because now I am a teacher and they are helpful in teaching.

Spend more time "praying and obeying" than looking for that perfect translation and you will make faster progress in your Spiritual walk with God.

Ray

Astrapho

Just wondering, how do you put in new bibles on E-Sword? I unzipped the file and everything, but it's not showing on my list of bibles. I somehow managed to do it for CLV, but for subsequent translations somehow it doesn't work!

NoviceBeliever

I found that I was having an issue because I was downloading version 8s to my version 9 esword.  When I got the right download it worked perfectly.

This is for version 9.X and above  http://e-sword-users.org/users/node/3175

NB
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:21:21 PM by NoviceBeliever »

Kat

Hi Astrapho,

You might just need to restart your computer.  It will not show up on the list as soon as it is downloaded until you restart.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Astrapho

Omg, yes, I was trying to use V8 stuff with V9 >.< Thanks! It's working now.

Anyone got links to CLV and Rotherham's? They're not on the E-Sword website. :(

NoviceBeliever

Astropho: The link I posted above is for CLV 9.X download.  I don't believe the Rotherham is available yet in the later version. NB

Astrapho

Oic. Thanks a lot, NB!  ;D

9440geoff

Astropho, the links you need are in "Forum Indexes and info", then "Esword and more".

Thanks to Kat and Craig.

daywalker

Ray lists a bunch in his article "Which Bible Translation Is Best":

http://bible-truths.com/bible.htm

However, not all English Versions perverted and corrupted the words having reference to time into words that now stand for eternity, but have nothing to do with time at all. Here are a few. I use the first three quite regularly, but, I am not recommending you buy any of them.

Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959

Concordant Literal New Testament, 1983  http://concordant.org/catalog/orderblank/index.html

The Emphatic Diaglott, 1912 edition (Greek/English Interlinear)

The Holy Bible in Modern English (Fenton), 1903)

The New Covenant, 1884

The New Testament in Modern Speech, 1910

The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, 1976

The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, 1958

The New Testament a Translation, 1938

The Companion Bible, 1990 A King James Reference Bible

Daywalker  8)

aqrinc

I know Ray has mentioned it in the past but I can't do a search because I don't know what the key words would be to search for the answer but Ray has stated in several posts that he has used or currently uses a JW published book as a study tool and I'm wondering what the name of it is.  We have 2 JW's here at my office and I want to get a copy of this study tool that Ray uses in addition to the many others he studies from.

I keep thinking it's the Emphatic Diaglott that the Jw's use but I may be wrong?  Anyone know?

Thanks!

-Jacobb

You are correct on it being Emphatic Diaglott. Only some of JWs use it, elders i think.

george.

Samson

Re: Which Version - JW Study Tool?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »

I know Ray has mentioned it in the past but I can't do a search because I don't know what the key words would be to search for the answer but Ray has stated in several posts that he has used or currently uses a JW published book as a study tool and I'm wondering what the name of it is.  We have 2 JW's here at my office and I want to get a copy of this study tool that Ray uses in addition to the many others he studies from.

I keep thinking it's the Emphatic Diaglott that the Jw's use but I may be wrong?  Anyone know?

Thanks!

-Jacobb

Hi Jacob,

The JW's used to publish the Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, long before they officially became JW's in 1931, back then they were International Bible Students. Their main interest in that Translation centered around translating the Greek word Parasouia as "Presence" instead of "Coming"(Matt.24:3). They don't use that translation anymore. Their NWT translates Hell as Hades and Sheol properly, also they translate Hell-fire as Gehenna in it's twelve appropriate places in the New Testament. In the Old Testament, in most places, they translate Ohlam as "Time Indefinite," but in the New Testament they translate Aionios as Everlasting or Forever. However in their footnote at Matthew. 25:46, they correctly indicate that the Greek Word Kolasin or Kolasis literally means "to prune."  

Also, they used to Publish the American Standard Version of 1901 which became the Revised standard Version and eventually the New Revised Standard Version.

Kind Regards, Samson.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:56:32 PM by Samson »

Samson

ahh gracias Samson!  I appreciate the info.  I asked one of the JW's that I work with if he could get me a copy from his Watchtower Bible Tract society.  Hopefully he can get me a copy and I won't be inundated with him trying to give me Awake and Watchtower mags. 

Lots of Laughs, Jacob.

You might have made his day(the JW). He probably considers you a good return visit,  ;D He's hoping and praying that you'll study the Bible with him through one of their publications,  ;D. What a surprise he will discovery when finds out you know alot more than he does. Perhaps you can help him learn about the eventual Salvation of All and that God isn't going to Annihilate those who don't accept JW Interpretation of Scripture. You'll have to be "cautious as serpent and as innocent as a dove" with the JW,  ;).

KInd Regards, Samson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.