bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm stumbling...  (Read 7362 times)

Marky Mark

I'm stumbling...
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »

Hello everyone.

The scripture that is posted below has been weighing on my mind as of late. ???

On the one hand we as followers of Christ are given the orders to sow the seed as specified in Matt.25,according to the will of God. But in 1Peter3 we are told to give answers only to those that ask! Where do these two scripture cross the line so to speak,if on the one hand we are to do as in Matt25 but on the other hand we are told to give an answer only to those that ask. 1Peter3.

In Matthew25 is the Lord talking to His chosen teachers or does this represent all who have been called and chosen? I'm stumbling all over this one.

Any answers welcome. Thanks. :)

Matt.25
26“His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28“‘Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

1Peter 3  15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Peace...Mark

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: I'm stumbling...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »

Don't know if this helps, Mark, but I'm not at all satisfied that the parable in Matthew 26 is referring to 'witnessing'.  Sounds like a little 'sermon residue' to me.   :) 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

daywalker

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »

Hello Mark,

I believe I have the answer for you...

1Peter 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Peter didn't say to "only" witness to those who "ask you", but to ALWAYS BE PREPARED TO GIVE AN ANSWER. This Scriptures matches well with what Paul told Timothy:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

We must "study" God's Word in order to rightly divide it and to "be prepared" to defend it.

Hope this clears it up. Peace, Out

Daywalker.  8)

Ninny

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »

Mark I was about to say that remember that is a parable in Matt 25..there is more to that than meets the eye..mine anyway!! I don't know that it means anything other than using our resources wisely..someone can surely help you sort that out!
the other is telling us to be prepared to answer for what we believe people ask all the time...do we know how to explain it?? I'm not sure I always know! But I'm learning!!
Not much help I guess, but that's just the way I see it!
Kathy ;)

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »

Hi Mark,

Yea I'm thinking like Dave, it's not talking about witnessing here.  Here is an excerpt from 'Winning Souls For Jesus' there is a snipped about that passage in Matt. 25.

http://bible-truths.com/souls.htm ------------------

Shocking as it might sound to most, the Scriptures know nothing of "winning souls for Jesus." It is a man-made doctrine of the carnal mind.

But isn’t there a Scripture somewhere that speaks of "winning souls?" No, not really.

Once only do we find any words regarding "winning souls" in the King James Bible:

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise" (Prov. 11:30).

This verse, however, has absolutely nothing to do with saving the souls of those who believe in Jesus as their Saviour. The Hebrew word kal from which the word winneth was translated, is used hundreds of times in the King James, but only once is it translated into any form of the word "win." It means to, take, bring, fetch, acquire, rescue, etc., but "win" is a poor choice of words. Besides, spiritual salvation through Jesus Christ is not the topic of Proverbs 11:30. Two New Testament Scriptures:

In Phil. 3:8 we read, "…that I may win [Gk: ‘gain’] Christ…" and in I Pet. 3:1, "…they also may… be won [Gk: ‘gained’] by the conversation [conduct] of the wives…" The other dozen times this Greek word kerdaino is used, it is always ‘gain’ or ‘gained.’ Example: "…Lord you delivered unto me two talents: behold, I have gained [Gk: kerdaino] two other talents beside them" (Matt. 25:22).

Why didn’t the King James translate this: "…behold I have WON two other talents…?" Surely even these translators could see the implications of increasing our God-given talents by gambling with them for higher ‘WINNINGS.’

Christians need to get all this gambling terminology out of their heads when it comes to the doctrines of God. Salvation has nothing to do with winning some; loosing some; betting on statistical odds; taking chances, and all such Las Vegas crap table nonsense.

Salvation is not a matter of a first chance or a second chance or any chance. Salvation is "sure."

"SURELY, He Who spares not His own Son, but gives Him up for us all, how shall He NOT, together with Him, also, be graciously granting us ALL? (Rom. 8:32, Concordant Literal New Testament).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What I think that these "talents" are referring to can be literal talents, as Ray put it "the implications of increasing our God-given talents."  Whatever we are gifted in we should use it for good, not bury it or not use it.  I would think that using whatever talent we have for the good of others is character development.  Whatever our talent may be I think we are given opportunity to use it for the good one way or another and it doesn't have to be doing something major.  So I think it ultimately comes down to do we make the world around us a better place or not by being here.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

aqrinc

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »

Hi Mark,

I just found this thread from Moises, one of our younger brothers. He seems to have a grasp of and ability, to understand some of the meaning of this parable. There is more that needs to be developed here, but look at what can come out of the mouth (mind) of babes. ;D

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6362.msg51260.html#msg51260

george. ;D

jerreye

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »

I'm kinda confused...where does it say to "ONLY give an answer to those that ask"? Surely we are to BE PREPARED to GIVE an answer to those that ask, but I don't see the word "ONLY" in that passage...

Are we to do or say nothing unless someone asks us a question?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:15:23 PM by jerreye »

Ninny

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »

It says give an answer to EVERYONE who asks.. and it does say "everyone who asks" not just to anyone or everyone everywhere, but to everyone who asks...It says that in the KJV and in the CLV So I guess it doesn't say ONLY to them, but it does say to every one who asks...don't know if that means anything, but it seem kind of like literally just the ones who ask... ???
Kathy ;)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »

You answered you're own question dear Mark!

We are to sow the seed of God's Word THROUGH or BY giving an answer to those who ASK and so this is according to the will of God.

It is according to the will of God because we know that when someone comes to us, asking us for the reason of our hope, we know that God has brought them to us and that He has done so because He has given us the perfect thing in which to sow the Word.

We are not to go shoving it down everyones throats, and making their hearts bitter. I see this all the time down at mainstreet, huntington beach, california. Alot of evangelicals are out here preaching, and shoving the word down everyones throat and it turns off alot of people to the Word of God and what is worse is that they do this by attempting to scare those who pass by, by asking them, "If you die today, would you go to heaven or hell?" And alas, they open up the can of worms that is hell. A most sickening doctrine is shoved down the throats of what otherwise could be fertile soil for the seed that is the Word of God.

So we must have patience and trust in God. He will bring those whom He wants to hear the truth and accept to us when the time is right.

Otherwise, sit tight, relax and enjoy the ride through the fiery trials that is our life! Endure to the end :) God willing of course!

God bless,

Alex

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:33 AM »

Hello everyone.

The scripture that is posted below has been weighing on my mind as of late. ???

On the one hand we as followers of Christ are given the orders to sow the seed as specified in Matt.25,according to the will of God. But in 1Peter3 we are told to give answers only to those that ask! Where do these two scripture cross the line so to speak,if on the one hand we are to do as in Matt25 but on the other hand we are told to give an answer only to those that ask. 1Peter3.

Mark,

I started to reply to this thread 3-4 times and kept starting over. Some people will reference 1 Peter 3 when suggesting that a person wait until asked before jumping in with their beliefs. Others will say 'sow a seed, you never know' and will witness at any chance that presents itself. I think the truth lies within the intentions of the heart of the person.

It takes much spiritual maturity to witness when needed, provide answers when asked, and knowing when to keep quiet. The only perfect example that we can look to is Christ.

Jesus was full of the grace of God (Lk 2:10) and His only desire was to do the Will of God (John 4:34) and give Him all glory (John 7:18). I believe that should be the example & standard in all we do, including spreading the gospel. Let all be done to the glory of God...we should judge ourselves in our thoughts even before we speak: 'How does this give glory to God?', 'Am I trying to convince this person or am I seeking to make known the goodness of God', 'What do the scriptures say & mean, not attempt to boast of my commentary of the scriptures', etc.

But all this is by the grace of God and His timing...we should never worry of 'losing an opportunity' as God's plan for humanity is not a matter of chance.

To sum it up: When it's time, you'll know...and when it's not time, you'll also know. It's truly a matter of spiritual maturity that is only gleaned through the spirit of God...don't wrestle with it, He will direct your steps.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »

Marques, I so agree with every thing you just wrote here. The day I was in the mall, a man had questions about things the church teaches. He said," he was not a relgious man and did not go to church." He even talked about how even his sister who is involved in church is wondering about things. I never , even thought about telling anyone that day. It just came up and God led. I shared with him about Ray and Hell. He thought it made a lot of sense. He was pretty sick of money greedy preachers.

Well, I hope he shared with his Sister. But, God was in all of this. He planted this man right where he wanted him and he began to talk about the world and church and such.

All, I wanted to do was give him the Good News of Christ dying for all.

In His Love,
Marlene

Marky Mark

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »

It takes much spiritual maturity to witness when needed, provide answers when asked, and knowing when to keep quiet. The only perfect example that we can look to is Christ.

Otherwise, sit tight, relax and enjoy the ride through the fiery trials that is our life! Endure to the end  God willing of course!

Truly words of wisdom :)

Thanks again guys for all the responces ;).

Mark

geokuhns

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 01:01:37 AM »

Hi Mark,

Ray spoke to your question briefly on tape #1 of the 2007 Nashville bible conference. Check it out. It starts around 4 minutes into his talk.

http://bible-truths.com/audio/Nashville07_1.mp3

George
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:02:50 AM by George Kuhns »

markn902

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 02:24:56 AM »

I appreciate this thread  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.