bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 days and nights  (Read 8017 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
3 days and nights
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »

I can agree to disagree with you on several things. Here's something on 3 days and 3 nights which may help others with this question.

Jesus' own words (recorded in Matthew 12:40) attest without doubt that he would be buried (be in the heart of the earth) for 3 days and 3 nights.
    “40.  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. “

Mark 15:42,43 mention Jesus' death and burial on the day before a sabbath;

42. And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
    43. Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

John 20:1 (cp. also Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1) mentions, that the grave was already empty on the first day of the week (Sunday).

•John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
    •Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
    •Mark 16 2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
    •Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them  

A correct understanding will be obvious from a careful consideration of the time references made in Scripture. Again and again there is mention made about the Feast of Passover or Feast of Unleavened Bread. From the records it is clearly seen that Jesus Christ died on the day before the beginning of this Feast (the preparation day). Since the first day of the Feast was a sabbath, and since the days began in biblical reckoning with sunset, there was some hurry necessary in the burial of Jesus.
    Mark 15:42 mentions this situation, and states that the next day was a sabbath.
    John 19:31 has reference to the exact same point, but it gives another very important truth about this upcoming sabbath -- this was not the regular sabbath but this sabbath was a high sabbath. It was not the weekly sabbath but it was the first day of the 7 day long Feast of Unleavened Bread of which the first and last days were high sabbaths or holy convocations. The beginning of this feast was always on the 15th Nisan, no matter which day of the week it might be (cp. Leviticus 23:6-8). Thus Jesus Christ died in the afternoon of the 14th Nisan and was buried the same day shortly before sunset, just before the beginning of the feast , the beginning of this high sabbath day.

All 4 Gospels do have references and mention that the grave was already empty at the beginning of the 1st day of the week (our Sunday), which means that Christ had already been risen by that time. According to his own words, he was to be buried for 3 days and 3 nights (a complete period of 3 x 24 hours according to our normal reckoning of time). Thus, we can see that he was buried late afternoon on the 14th Nisan, and he was risen from the dead late afternoon on the 17th Nisan. The records in the gospels do not mention any other events between his resurrection and the events that took place early on the first day of the week when the women came to the grave and found it to be empty. This indicates that Jesus must have been risen from the dead late Saturday afternoon, shortly before sunset which marked the beginning of the 1st day of the week.

Counting backwards now, we can easily recognize that Jesus Christ died on Wednesday, 14th Nisan, on the day before this special sabbath, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and he was buried before sunset that day. Exactly 3 days and 3 nights later, he rose from the dead. He was 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth, just as he had said. And he was also raised from the dead "on the 3rd day" still since Saturday had not yet passed.

Wednesday – 14th Nisan Buried – NOT Friday
    Thursday –15th
    Friday – 16th
    Sabbath – 17th Nisan

The contradiction exists only if one takes the mentioned "sabbath" to be the regular weekly sabbath by not taking into account what John 19:31 so clearly states with additional information about this sabbath being a high sabbath. Such assumption puts the crucifixion and death and burial of Jesus on a Friday, which causes all the problems and makes Jesus to look like a liar. As soon as one recognizes that the sabbath was a high sabbath, the first day of the 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread, the 15th Nisan, which could be on any day of the week according to the calendar, the problem and contradiction disappears.
    However, one does clearly see that the traditional teaching is in contradiction to the truth revealed in God's Word. Whom do we want to believe?
    John 19:31…the Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away…

Now...I'm not a roofer, but I can easily understand this.

Lyndon

Jesus NEVER said that He would be "buried" for three days and three nights. Where did He ever say such a thing? You made that up. He said He would be "In the heart of the earth" for three days and three nights. He did not say that he would be "burried" for that time, or even "dead" for that time. Remember this is "the sign of JONAH."  WAS JONAH D-E-A-D?  I'll write a paper on this went I get good and ready to write a paper on this and not before. Sorry.
Ray

Craig

3 days and nights
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »

Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

This speaks of the time...not the manner. Otherwise, YOU would be saying that the Son of man was in a whale's belly

Luk 11:30 For as Jonah   was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation...

The 'sign' is REPENT...you can't take 3 days and nights in a whales belly as being the sign...the Ninevites didn't even know he was whale blubber !

Mat 27:59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,

Mat 27:60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulcher, and departed.

Pretty clear to me here, that he was buried in the tomb...if you have problems with the word "buried', this speaks of the manner of the stored body.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;

1Co 15:4 And that he was buried , and that he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures:

1Co 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

1Co 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

(1Ki 2:10) So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.

(Act 2:29) Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried,  and his sepulcher is with us unto this day.

I don't need you to write a paper on this...the paper has been written.
Lyndon

Dear Lyndon:
You just don't get it.  You are inventing one unscriptural theory after the other.  Jesus did not say He would be DEAD for three days and three nights.  Jesus did NOT say that He would be BURIED in a tomb for three days and three nights. You can say that if you want to, but you know that it is unscriptural.  Jesus did not say that as Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights, so He would also be in the belly of a fish for three days and three nights.  You still don't get, do you? It's a PARABLE, but you don't believe that either, do you (Matt. 13:34)?

Are the three days and three nights of Jonah being compared with the three days and three nights of Jesus?  NO!  No, that is not the point of comparison. You are totally, totally missing it.  Here is the point of comparison:

Jonah:  "AS... Jonas was three days and three nights IN THE WHALE'S BELLY,
Jesus:  SO... shall the Son of man be three days and three nights IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH."

There is your "comparison."
There is your "sign."
There is you "parable."

AS "in the whale's belly," SO "in the heart of the earth."

But you still don't know what this "parables" means, do you? For you have not a clue as to what "in the heart of the earth means."  Some day I will write a paper and explain all this, but not today.
God be with you,
Ray

Craig

3 days and nights
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:31:24 PM »

Luk 18:31 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold,
we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets
concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.

Luk 18:32 For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:

Luk 18:33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

If Jesus wasn't speaking about himself...who was he speaking about ?

Mat 17:9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them,
saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Hmmm...

Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulcher be made sure until the
third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

I don't think the Romans were stupid, either...they knew JESUS was dead when they pulled JESUS off of the cross.

Lyndon

OF COURSE JESUS WAS DEAD after they crucified Him. But what does that have to do with "in the DEPTH OF THE EARTH?" You just don't get it. Give it up.
This conversation is over. I will give the answer when I write my paper,
which will not be today.
Ray

Craig

3 days and nights
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »

You seem unusually hostile and won't explain anything in an email...now it's the 'depth of the earth'. The actual scripture is 'heart of the earth'.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

the Greek for 'earth' refers to soil, ground, region.

the Greek for 'heart' in this verse (context) is 'middle'

This verse is also the 'only' in the gospels like it...I wouldn't get too hung up on some weird theology over it and just take it for what it says.
Why can't a day be taken like a literal day, and the heart of the earth be
referred to where he'd be laid for 3 days and nights ? Why is that so hard
to believe for you ? You say that Jesus didn't say he'd be dead, etc...and
yet scripture directly contradicts your statements each time I state them.

Do you take the historical fact of Jonah as a parable ? I certainly don't.

Lyndon

Dear Lyndon:

Okay, THIS will be my last communication on this (for SURE).

I never said, or even suggested that Jonah's commission was a "parable," now did I? No, I did not.  You know as well as I (or maybe you don't, but now you do) that you need a SECOND WITNESS to establish any spiritual truth.  I gave you that second witness, but you didn't even get it because you are still thinking carnal and physical and literal, and that kind of thinking will never explain a parable, as parables are only "SPIRITUALLY discerned."

The second Scripture that is a Second Witness to "heart of the earth" is "Now that He ascended [which He did], what is it but that He also descended first into the LOWER [DEPTH, LOWER, UNDER, LOWEST LEVEL, etc.] parts of the earth?" (Eph. 4:9).  There it is. There  is the second witness.  But you still don't know what this parable is. The "heart [depth] of the earth" IS the parable.  I will tell you what it means and how it was that it lasted for three days and three nights when I write my paper.  Til then, have a nice life.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.