bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milton Hershey  (Read 4913 times)

Roy Martin

Milton Hershey
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

Milton Hershey

“The difference between mediocrity and greatness is extra effort.”
—George Allen

Some people see failure as a sign to give up. Those who eventually become successful see failure as a stepping-stone and another lesson in the business school of life. They just keep on trying. Milton Hershey’s father was an itinerant speculator, moving from place to place and investing in every kind of business with little success. Milton, born in 1857, attended seven schools in eight years and never made it past the fourth grade. He first worked for a printer, was fired, and then was apprenticed to a confectioner. In 1876 Milton opened his own candy business in Philadelphia, but he couldn’t make a profit. Next, he went to Denver and opened a candy store. It too failed. Milton made another attempt in New York City, and that business failed in 1886.

Finally, Milton Hershey returned to his hometown of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and began making caramels. The candy came to the attention of an English importer, who placed a big order. The caramel business prospered, and Hershey built a modest factory on the site that eventually was to encompass sixty-five acres of candy manufacturing. In 1893, inspired by German chocolate makers at the World’s Fair, Hershey began to produce his own chocolate. By 1900 he sold the caramel business and concentrated solely on producing chocolate. Hershey refused to advertise (a policy the company adhered to until 1970), believing that quality would sell his wares.

Consider This: Failure can be and is a valuable part of learning. Some see it as a dead end, while others see it as an opportunity to learn a valuable lesson.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:47:55 AM by Roy Martin »

musicman

Re: Milton Hershey
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »

There were great gains made in this country because of Milton Hershey.  About 65 acres of waist line.

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »

If you have never been to Hershey, PA, it is idyllic, set in the country about  1 1/2hrs from Philadelphia.  The whole place smells like chocolate, one of my favorite things. 

Roy, you are so right!  Failure is just a step on the road we have to take.  Everything can easily turn around with hard work and perseverance. Thank you!

darren

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

I hate to say this, but I am one of the best when it comes to failure. If failures are learning lessions I should be the smartest man on the planet. (lol). Maby just the opposite. In my case failure begets failure. I think it's time to change this. I notice many people who have made it in the buss. world never really made it through school. I don't recommend not going to school. I think everybody should  be as educated as possible.

Darren

Roy Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »

One is not a failure until he gives up trying. All things leads to somewhere.

Roy

Beloved

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »

Hershey is my home town. I miss the chocolate colored sidewalks and hershey kisses lamp posts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_S._Hershey

Darren do not beat upon yourself. Most people in the business world would look at Hershey as a sclump....the fool put all his money into a trust for a boys school. He did this why he was still alive.

The more stuff you have the more it controls your life.  Yeshua warns us that it is hard for a rich and successful worldly man to enter the kingdom. What kind of success do you really want? You are alive and have no idea where Yaweh is leading you....pray for His guidance and not your own.

Your a chef right...Smash some Jordon almonds up fine , mix with butter add them to chicken breast and broil, serve with rice pilaf and asparagus. hey that is what I am making for dinner. Each meal you make make it on to the Lord...

By the way the scriptures tell us to pray AFTER we have eaten

Deu 8:10  When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.

beloved
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:06:37 PM by Beloved »

bluzman

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »

Beloved,
   I want to thank you for your post. It has never dawned on me to pray after a physical meal. I have read over that verse in the past sometime and did not see the words! Everyone I know of who gives thanks, always does so prior to eating, and we probably have been doing that for centuries.
   Bluzman

Roy Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »

Hello Darren
When I saw this story, I didn't see a money story. Life is not about money success of which you see on the surface. Please don't take my post wrong. I barely succeed at just living. :D

Roy

darren

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »

Roy: I understand the post. Money isn't everything. I understand that.
I here ya Roy never give up. I haven;t. God willing I still have the 2ND half of my life.

beloved: I was just making light of my dealings with failure. My intentions were not to make my failures sound doom and gloom.  I understand life is far more than money. I am truly blessed in many other ways. Oh I cooked smothered snap beans tonight. I'd rather be eating over your house tonight.

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.