bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spiritual  (Read 7378 times)

bluzman

spiritual
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »

Would anyone be kind enough to help me understand the meaning of the word Spiritual?
Thanks,  Bluzman

mharrell08

Re: spiritual
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »

Would anyone be kind enough to help me understand the meaning of the word Spiritual?
Thanks,  Bluzman

Hey Ches,

Could you provide us with a little more detail to help narrow down your question?

Here is a passage where Jesus talks about spirit...I don't know if this will help in expounding your question for the members:

John 3:5-8

5  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Thanks,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »

Hi Ches,

I would say that "spiritual" means something that relates to the realm of the spirit.  It means goodness as from God, as in those things that He represents, "spiritual wisdom and understanding" of the truth.

Col 1:9  And so, from the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,

But there is also the dark side of the spiritual, "spiritual wickedness."

Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Spirituality is in the mind, whether carnal minded or spiritual minded it's how you think, what you believe.

Pro 23:7  For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.

Rom 8:5  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
v. 6  For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

The carnal mind is not attuned to the spiritual truths of God, only this physical world.  Only the Holy Spirit from God can give you the understanding of the spiritual truth.  

John 16:12  "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
v. 13  However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Here is an excerpt that points this out.

http://bible-truths.com/lake15-B.html -----------

The carnal mind is a mind debarred of spiritual understanding. Not only does it not understand spiritual things; it is an impossibility to do so. The carnal mind cannot spiritually repent. Therefore it is not "free." It is in fact, enslaved to sin. No "slave" is "free." Let’s learn a few very basic Truths:

"God [is] SPIRIT" (John 4:24).

"…the Words that I speak unto you are SPIRIT…" (John 6:63).

"Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the SPIRIT which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teaches, but which the Holy SPIRIT teaches; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man [still being carnal-minded] receives not the things of the SPIRIT of God: neither CAN HE know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (I Cor. 2:12-14).

Clearly, the natural mind of man unaided by the Spirit of God, is not "free" to receive "the things of the Spirit of God, neither CAN HE KNOW THEM…"

God is SPIRIT and the words of Christ are SPIRIT. To understand these words we must have the Spirit, which is of God. We can then "compare" or (Greek: "match") spiritual with spiritual, and understand.

If we have the Spirit of God we can do this. But if we are carnal-minded and have not the Spirit of God, we cannot do this. Here is why:

"Because the carnal mind is enmity [hatred] against God: for it is NOT subject to the [spiritual] law of God, neither indeed CAN BE" (Rom. 8:7).
------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:51:07 PM by Kat »

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »

(Joh 3:8)  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

(Joh 3:9)  Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

(Joh 3:10)  Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

(Joh 3:11)  Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

(Joh 3:12)  If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Bluzman it is not something shown it is something recieved.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

It is right in front of you ...if your eyes have been opened

Mat 4:17  From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Paul uses this term spiritual the most peter and John only used it only once. Most other references are to spiirt/wind/ breath

so in the physical .....What exactly is wind.... what is its primary source?

beloved

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

I hope you do not take my answer as a a cynical reply.  My approach was to show that having the answer is not always possible and often not easily verbalized.

In the physical thinking about wind

6.5 billion people out there breathing 20 cubic feet/day of just the molecule oxygen (22 % of the air),  this does not include all the other animals, and then there are the plants in the world that use the 15 cubic feet of Co2 that we exhale and return the oxygen back into it . 

Then take into account  that everything all that is moving birds butterflies planes and cars etc and then add to that iwater evaporation and particlulate matter and atmospheric pressures and arodynamics the sun , cosmic forces you have something so magnificently complex it  boggles your mind.

And we are trying to understand the spiritual ???   Even the world of quantum mechanics cannot even touch it…..that is what I love about it.  All the grey matter in the world is clueless…..yet

(1Co 1:25)  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

(1Co 1:26)  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

(1Co 1:27)  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

(1Co 1:28)  And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to naught things that are:

(1Co 1:29)  That no flesh should glory in his presence.

beloved

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »

Thanks,  Bluzman

Rom 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

High minded
Heavenly minded
High morals
High virtures

Php 2:1  If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
Php 2:2  Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Php 2:3  Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Php 2:4  Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Php 2:5  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 5:24  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26  Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Higher Law from Christ!
Mat 5:43  Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Mat 5:21  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22  But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 5:27  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28  But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

...........and sooooo much more!

Hope this helps
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

aqrinc

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:48 AM »

Hi bluzman,

That was a great question, those answers were right from The Scriptures. Read Mat 6: 1-34 now and see if you can discern the Spiritual lessons here.

Mat 6: 1-34 (GNB)
1  "Make certain you do not perform your religious duties in public so that people will see what you do. If you do these things publicly, you will not have any reward from your Father in heaven.
2  "So when you give something to a needy person, do not make a big show of it, as the hypocrites do in the houses of worship and on the streets. They do it so that people will praise them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full.

3  But when you help a needy person, do it in such a way that even your closest friend will not know about it.
4  Then it will be a private matter. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you.

5  "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure you, they have already been paid in full.
6  But when you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you.

7  "When you pray, do not use a lot of meaningless words, as the pagans do, who think that their gods will hear them because their prayers are long.

8  Do not be like them. Your Father already knows what you need before you ask him.
9  This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven: May your holy name be honored;
10  may your Kingdom come; may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11  Give us today the food we need.

12  Forgive us the wrongs we have done, as we forgive the wrongs that others have done to us.
13  Do not bring us to hard testing, but keep us safe from the Evil One.'

14  "If you forgive others the wrongs they have done to you, your Father in heaven will also forgive you.
15  But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive the wrongs you have done.

16  "And when you fast, do not put on a sad face as the hypocrites do. They neglect their appearance so that everyone will see that they are fasting. I assure you, they have already been paid in full.

17  When you go without food, wash your face and comb your hair,
18  so that others cannot know that you are fasting---only your Father, who is unseen, will know. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you.

19  "Do not store up riches for yourselves here on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and robbers break in and steal.
20  Instead, store up riches for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and robbers cannot break in and steal.
21  For your heart will always be where your riches are.

22  "The eyes are like a lamp for the body. If your eyes are sound, your whole body will be full of light;
23  but if your eyes are no good, your body will be in darkness. So if the light in you is darkness, how terribly dark it will be!

24  "You cannot be a slave of two masters; you will hate one and love the other; you will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
25  "This is why I tell you: do not be worried about the food and drink you need in order to stay alive, or about clothes for your body. After all, isn't life worth more than food? And isn't the body worth more than clothes?

26  Look at the birds: they do not plant seeds, gather a harvest and put it in barns; yet your Father in heaven takes care of them! Aren't you worth much more than birds?
27  Can any of you live a bit longer by worrying about it?
28  "And why worry about clothes? Look how the wild flowers grow: they do not work or make clothes for themselves.

29  But I tell you that not even King Solomon with all his wealth had clothes as beautiful as one of these flowers.
30  It is God who clothes the wild grass---grass that is here today and gone tomorrow, burned up in the oven. Won't he be all the more sure to clothe you? What little faith you have!

31  "So do not start worrying: 'Where will my food come from? or my drink? or my clothes?'
32  (These are the things the pagans are always concerned about.) Your Father in heaven knows that you need all these things.

33  Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you, and he will provide you with all these other things.
34  So do not worry about tomorrow; it will have enough worries of its own. There is no need to add to the troubles each day brings.

george :)

bluzman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 06:18:28 PM »

Good day to you all.
 Firstly, I would like to thank all who took the time and effort to post your replies to my question. I really do appreciate your efforts, and consider it a privilege to be here asking.
  Marques, I posted the question in the same way that it was put to me. A few of us forum members keep in touch through emails almost on a daily basis. We have been struggling with this question for a few weeks now. When I was asked this, I thought that I could easily give an honest answer, but very quickly realized that this innocuous looking little question had very deep spiritual attachments to it, for lack of a better word. Understanding that in order to understand anything spiritual, of course requires God's help in this matter. He seems to give me as much as I need when He decides to open my eyes a little more. It is almost as if one was asked a question to describe electricity. It is a very difficult thing to do. Of course everything is a creation of God. He must have worked a little overtime on the Chinese language, don't you think? <S>

Mark, what you have posted is true of course. God is spirit, God is love. Last evening I went over the Lake of Fire Part IV. My on line buddy was going to study that installment again. As of this post, I haven't heard from him. I have also read Ray's paper on Love again. Through these writings of Ray I can see more clearly the effects that God's word is having in my life. I do hope that I am not the same person that I was yesterday, and the man who is typing this message is becoming less and less familiar to me.

Kat as always, how can I thank you for all the wonderful hard work that you do every day? Fact is, I can't really. Faith, or the believing in things that are yet unseen, is of course another gift of God. I do know that I must have faith as I live out my life. Adding faith to knowledge, and to knowledge love. (II Pet.   1:5). I believe these things comes to anyone who wants to walk and live with God, if it is His will. I thank you again for finding those Scriptures for me.

Antaiwan, the Scripture that you have shown me here is giving me the idea that perhaps I am trying to dig too deep or reach too high. Certainly what you have posted helps. I have always been inquisitive, sort of like a cat so to speak. The effects of the spirit I can see, for example, a brother will help another that he has never seen and knows hardly anything about, and another will murder another. I do wonder sometimes though, just how tiny and we really are in the spiritual sense. There I go using that word spiritual again. <s>

Beloved, no way did I ever think you were being a cynic. I agree that the answer is not always possible, and we are strapped with this language which we use to try to describe a Power that is of course far above and beyond what we can really describe using words. I understand that words do always say what they mean at face value. I like your statement that even Quantum mechanics cannot touch it, and that all gray matter in the world is clueless. Yes, the mind of man can only go so far with his knowledge, because he is given what he given, at a time when it has been ordained what he should know. Our atmosphere contains many lethal gasses, yet our lungs are designed in such a way as to receive only oxygen under normal circumstances. All of the knowledge that I have acquired through the years, and seemed so important at the time, now seems to be just like so much foolishness to me.

George, I wish that I had 1/10th the knowledge and understanding of the Scriptures that you have,but that is not my lot in this life. I am not complaining mind you, not in the least. One thing that I don't do too much anymore is worry, because it hasn't done me any good in the past. I realize to some degree how helpless and fragile I really am. Good teaching George, and thanks.

I hope and pray that Ray will be able to go to Mobile in the fall. You are always on my mind, well, pretty much anyway. <smile>
God Bless,
Ches

bluzman

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »

A couple of corrections.
Beloved, I put down that words do always say what they mean. Should have been don't.
George, in my first sentence, I wrote ,this is not my lot in this life, should have been is.
My pc. is not working too well, it either blue screens or locks up. I post as quickly as I can before I lose my line of thought or my notes.
Ches

Roy Coates

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »

Bluzman,
I think it was a great question, even better was your rebuttal to the members responses. I gleaned a lot from all of it. Kudos to all

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »

All, I can add to that George is Amen!

Marlene

Hoyt

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 04:48:15 AM »

From all this I believe that understanding spiritual things is the understanding the will of God. That’s what I learned and I’ll remember it as long as I live. Thank you all very much for the effort everyone put in this.

aqrinc

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »

Ches,

From my perspective you have more understanding of Scripture than you think. This is good, we will only learn when we are in listen mode (humbly waiting on GOD), this means we are learning to be humble.

Gal 5: 22-26 (RV)
22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23  meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24  And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof.
25  If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk.
26  Let us not be vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

Gal 6: 1-2 (RV)
Brethren, even if a man be overtaken in any trespass, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of meekness; looking to thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

george :).

kenny

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »

GOD is SPIRIT

kenny

daywalker

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »

Spiritual is the opposite of "soulish, carnal, fleshly, physical"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.