bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: better not eat meat/drink wine  (Read 4986 times)

Rocket999

better not eat meat/drink wine
« on: September 05, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »

What does Paul mean when he says "It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall" at the end of Romans 14?

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: better not eat meat/drink wine
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »

I think he meant what he said here.  There are believers who as Paul said are weak in faith and would be offended if they saw another beliver drink alcoholic wine or eat meat.  The alcohol is self explanatory as the holier than thou's would never touch a drop.  As far as the eating of meat that go's back to the meat sacrificed to idol's in the days of Paul.  He's saying that it would be better to deny yourself those things that you know are o.k. for you to do or partake of if you doing that would mean offending someone else weak in the faith.  At least thats my take on it.

9440geoff

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »

Hi Rocket999,

Here in France we eat snails, and frog's legs, and horsemeat. It has taken me several years to get used to this culture, so when English friends or family come to visit, i certainly wouldn't serve up any of the above-mentioned, as they are not part of the English diet. I guess Romans 14:21 would apply to this, by considering other peoples feelings, and putting their needs before one's own.

Geoff

Kat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Hi Rocket,

Here is a passage in 1 Cor. 8 where Paul speaks of this same thing.  

1Co 8:6  yet there is for us only one God, the Father, who is the Creator of all things and for whom we live; and there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things were created and through whom we live.
v. 7  But not everyone knows this truth. Some people have been so used to idols that to this day when they eat such food they still think of it as food that belongs to an idol; their conscience is weak, and they feel they are defiled by the food.
v. 8  Food, however, will not improve our relation with God; we shall not lose anything if we do not eat, nor shall we gain anything if we do eat.
v. 9  Be careful, however, not to let your freedom of action make those who are weak in the faith fall into sin.
v. 10  Suppose a person whose conscience is weak in this matter sees you, who have so-called "knowledge," eating in the temple of an idol; will not this encourage him to eat food offered to idols?
v. 11  And so this weak person, your brother for whom Christ died, will perish because of your "knowledge"!
v. 12  And in this way you will be sinning against Christ by sinning against other Christians and wounding their weak conscience.
v. 13  So then, if food makes a believer sin, I will never eat meat again, so as not to make a believer fall into sin.

So you see Paul is saying that even though what you eat or drink, of itself, is not a sin (v. 8), but you can not disregard how someone else views what you are doing.  So if someone has not yet matured in their understanding and is still under the assumption that something is a sin.  Just think how it might harm their faith if you just cavalierly went ahead to eat it in front of them or do whatever it might be.  And Paul says he would be willing to do without something altogether if it would help a brother's faith.  Remember Jesus' warning;

Mat 18:6  "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.