bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer for our land  (Read 5241 times)

Roy Martin

Prayer for our land
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

2 Chron. 7:14 in God's word he states, "If my  people who are called by
my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from
their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their
sin and heal their Land."

A friend sent this to me with the suggestion that if we pray for our nation then we can get God to turn things around for the good.
  I have never prayed for this nation because it has never been laid on my heart to do so. I believe that this nation is where it is according to Gods plan. There seems to be more to the scripture quoted above than meets the eye. If my people who are called by my name; hmm, I'm not sure what that means. Was that for that time or does it apply to today as well?
 I'm very aware that we can not get God to change His mind about things, but its scriptures like this that makes people believe that we can. I should have said the blind believe this way.
 Perhaps its the anger in me toward this nation that keeps me from praying for it. We have become the most evil nation on this planet, and getting worse every day. Sodom and Gomorrah wasn't much compared to this nation. I just feel that it would be a waste of time to pray for it but yet the scripture above seems to suggest that I should.
Roy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:00:45 AM by Roy Martin »

mharrell08

Re: Prayer for our land
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »

2 Chron. 7:14 in God's word he states, "If my  people who are called by
my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from
their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their
sin and heal their Land."

A friend sent this to me with the suggestion that if we pray for our nation then we can get God to turn things around for the good.
  I have never prayed for this nation because it has never been laid on my heart to do so. I believe that this nation is where it is according to Gods plan. There seems to be more to the scripture quoted above than meets the eye. If my people who are called by my name; hmm, I'm not sure what that means. Was that for that time or does it apply to today as well?
 I'm very aware that we can not get God to change His mind about things, but its scriptures like this that makes people believe that we can. I should have said the blind believe this way.
 Perhaps its the anger in me toward this nation that keeps me from praying for it. We have become the most evil nation on this planet, and getting worse every day. Sodom and Gomorrah wasn't much compared to this nation. I just feel that it would be a waste of time to pray for it but yet the scripture above seems to suggest that I should.
Roy

Hello Roy,

Here is the Contemporary English Version [CEV], though not my personal favorite, it has an very good translation to help one understand what exactly is going on in this passage:

2 Chron 7:13-14  Suppose I hold back the rain or send locusts to eat the crops or make my people suffer with deadly diseases. If my own people will humbly pray and turn back to me and stop sinning, then I will answer them from heaven. I will forgive them and make their land fertile once again.

As far as bringing all nations into the will of God, you could refer your friend to Isa 26:9-10:

Isa 26:9-10  With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness. Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

Only God's judgments will bring about righteousness in a nation of people, including this nation. But if your friend does not understand (blind to the fact) that God's judgments bring righteousness & godliness, then you two will just be butting heads all day long.

Hope this helps,

Marques

kenny

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »

In 1776 the people prayed to God and he gave them a land and AMERICA WAS BORN!

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

It seams that many are now over God and he is a jealous God, His good pleasure will be done.

His will be done, Every Knee Will Bow, Every Tongue Will Confess, He IS GOD, AND He will Judge and has already Judged.

I PRAY EVERY DAY THAT HIS WILL BE DONE, FOR IT IS HIS GOOD PLASURE.

KENNY

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »

Hi Roy,

After reading your post and the replies, i read these Scriptures. GOD Will Not Change His Mind, HE Has Already Worked Out The Best Course, By HIS OWN COUNSEL. There were several O man references that we need to read and understand.

Mic 6: 1-16 (RV)
1  Hear ye now what the LORD saith: Arise, contend thou before the mountains, and let the hills hear thy voice.
2  Hear, O ye mountains, the LORD’S controversy, and ye enduring foundations of the earth: for the LORD hath a controversy with his people, and he will plead with Israel.

3  O my people, what have I done unto thee? and wherein have I wearied thee? testify against me.
4  For I brought thee up out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage; and I sent before thee Moses, Aaron, and Miriam.

5  O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him; remember from Shittim unto Gilgal, that ye may know the righteous acts of the LORD.
6  Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?

7  will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

9  The voice of the LORD crieth unto the city, and the man of wisdom will see thy name: hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.
10  Are there yet the treasures of wickedness in the house of the wicked, and the scant measure that is abominable?
11  Shall I be pure with wicked balances, and with a bag of deceitful weights?

12  For the rich men thereof are full of violence, and the inhabitants thereof have spoken lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth.
13  Therefore I also have smitten thee with a grievous wound; I have made thee desolate because of thy sins.
14  Thou shalt eat, but not be satisfied; and thy humiliation shall be in the midst of thee: and thou shalt remove, but shalt not carry away safe; and that which thou carriest away will I give up to the sword.

15  Thou shalt sow, but shalt not reap: thou shalt tread the olives, but shalt not anoint thee with oil; and the vintage, but shalt not drink the wine.
16  For the statutes of Omri are kept, and all the works of the house of Ahab, and ye walk in their counsels: that I should make thee a desolation, and the inhabitants thereof an hissing; and ye shall bear the reproach of my people.

Rom 2: 1-2 (RV)
Wherefore thou art without excuse, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest dost practise the same things.
2  And we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against them that practise such things.

Rom 9: 17-21 (RV)
17  For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might shew in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth.
18  So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will?

20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus?
21  Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

george :).

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

I assume by 'our nation' he was referring to the US.  One day americans will understand that we are not the center of the universe.  We are sooo america-centric at times that we can make statements like "We have become the most evil nation on this planet, and getting worse every day. Sodom and Gomorrah wasn't much compared to this nation."  It's not enough for us to be the "best nation on earth, We're #!, We're #1", we also have to excel at evilness beyond all other nations in all of history.  That is not only parochial, but it is also incorrect.

Is there some spiritual message in there that doesn't connect with patriotic-christianity?  Of course there is.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Roy Martin

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »

Oh well, we all have our opinions about this nation. It is too easy for this topic to get side tracked and become political. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread.

Thank you Marques, Kenny, George, Mark, and Dave for your replies.

Roy

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:50:22 PM by Roy Martin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.