bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The first works  (Read 4690 times)

9440geoff

The first works
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »

Hi BT family,

Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Could somebody tell me, please, what "the first works" are?

I've read through some of Ray's papers about the seven churches in revelation, but I must have missed it.

Geoff

Kat

Re: The first works
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

Hi Geoff,

I could not find where Ray has mentioned this in particular.  But in just reviewing the passage I think you can get the understanding of "first works" form the previous verses.

Rev 2:1 Christ's Letters to Four Churches "To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, "These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands:
Rev 2:2  "I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;
Rev 2:3  and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary

These things listed here are the "first works."  But look what He says has happened.

Rev 2:4  Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

So here is what He says you need to do when "you have left your first love."

Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent.

Hope that was helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marky Mark

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »

Hello Geoff.

I believe that the works are the works that the Father does in His called and chosen.He is saying that we have to hold on to what He has shown us in our hearts and minds or suffer the consequence of not staying in the Truths of the Spirit.

Hope this helps. :)

GOD'S WORD  Translation
Revelation 2
  5 Remember how far you have fallen. Return to me and change the way you think and act, and do what you did at first. I will come to you and take your lamp stand from its place if you don't change. 6 But you have this in your favor-you hate what the Nicolaitans are doing. I also hate what they're doing. 7 "Let the person who has ears listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. I will give the privilege of eating from the tree of life, which stands in the paradise of God, to everyone who wins the victory.

Weymouth New Testament
Revelation 2
   5 Be mindful, therefore, of the height from which you have fallen. Repent at once, and act as you did at first, or else I will surely come and remove your lampstand out of its place--unless you repent. 6 Yet this you have in your favor: you hate the doings of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 "'Let all who have ears give heed to what the Spirit is saying to the Churches. To him who overcomes I will give the privilege of eating the fruit of the Tree of Life, which is in the Paradise of God.'

A few witness also...

Philippians 2:15 so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,

Hebrews 10:32 But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings,

Revelation 3:3 So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

Peace...Mark

9440geoff

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »

Thank you Kat and Mark, you were both very helpful.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.