bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ORIGIN OF YOUR NAME  (Read 10558 times)

lilitalienboi16

ORIGIN OF YOUR NAME
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:48:58 AM »

So okay, i was doing a random search of the historical occurences of my name and i stumbled upon a site for geneologies. This site contained the origin and meaning of names! I thought mine was sooooo awsome! Thank you Lord!

"ALEXANDER - Name Meaning & Origin Definition: Helper of mankind, defender of men. Of Greek origin, but most commonly found in Scotland. MACALLISTER is a common derivation. "

Surname Origin: Greek, Scottish, English

Alternate Surname Spellings: ALEXANDRE, ALESANDER, ALESANDRE, ALAXANDAIR, ALASDAIR, ALEXANDAR

SRC: http://genealogy.about.com/library/surnames/a/bl_name-ALEXANDER.htm"

All i got to say is there definately is a God because He gave me the most awsome name! I LOVE it :D It's so meeeeeeeee :)

Haha this could be fun guys! Find out what your name means and its origin than post what you find here!

God bless,

Alex :)

noeleena

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • live life. love life.
Re: ORIGIN OF YOUR NAME
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »

Hi..
        Last name Loch-head .       meaning .  scottish  .   head of the loch.
     said as in loch  heed .  oh you have to be a scot to say .it   it s no english
       no-el   birth name   feminine. meaning . french   .              first christmas. i do have 3 other names
 ...noeleena...

Astrapho

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »

ref: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Michelle

Michelle \m(i)-
chelle,
mich(el)-
le\ is pronounced mee-SHELL. It is of French and Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "who resembles God?". Feminine form of Michael.

No, I definitely DON'T live up to my name!  :o

Ninny

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »

Someday, Michelle, someday!!  :D
Kathy ;)

gmik

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »

Gena....derivative of Regina....queenly, royalty

good one, hey???

I had my cheek swabbed for DNA, and I go back 20,000 years to the Russian Steppes! I am afraid to tell that to any of my "Christian" friends.  So, maybe I am Ivana or Czarina.... :D :D

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »

Jill is a variation of Jilly

ORIGIN
English

MEANING
Nickname of Gillian and Jillian

Far more common across the pond, this nickname evokes a sprightly, sharp girl with a wicked sense of humor, and it can definitely stand on its own as a great name choice.

OR

Jill is a variation of Jillian

ORIGIN
Latin

MEANING
Youthful

I'll take either of those two definitions!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:04:26 AM by NoviceBeliever »

Roy Coates

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:30:34 AM »

There are two sources for this English name, the first being a locational name from any of the numerous places in England e.g., Coates in Cambridgeshire and Cotes in Leicestershire. A locational name was usually given to the lord of the manor at that place or to someone who moved from there to another village. The second source is topographical and would have denoted someone who lived in a relatively humble dwelling, a hut or cottage. The derivation is from the Old English pre 7th century "cot" or "cote" meaning cottage or shelter. The surname was common in medieval England and since it was used especially of a sheepcote, could mean a shepherd. The "s" is patronymic meaning "son of". The surname was first recorded in the late 12th Century (see below). On July 7th 1630, John Cottis married Agnes Pawmer at St. Dunstan's, Stepney, and Miles, son of John and Ann Cottis, was christened at St. Botolph without Aldgate, in July 1631. In the modern idiom, the name has ten spelling variations, e.g., Cotes, Coates, Cottis, Dallicott etc.. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William de Cotes, which was dated 1190, in the "Pipe Rolls of Lincolnshire", during the reign of King Richard 1, known as "The Lionheart", 1189 - 1199 Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Marky Mark

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »

^^^^^

Hey Roy,that sure is a mouthful :o.

Peace...Mark

jacobbsladdr

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »

The boy's name Michael also used as girl's name Michael, is pronounced MYE-kal. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "who resembles God?". Biblical: Michael is the archangel (chief or principal angel) who defeats the dragon. He and Gabriel are angels given personal names in the canonical Bible. Many saints, emperors, and kings have borne the name, and there are many variants, male and female.

Michael is a very common first name for men (#4 out of 1220) and also a very common last name for both men and women (#877 out of 88799). (1990 U.S. Census)

The first portion/part of my last name is “Evans” and it’s a patronymic surname meaning "son of Evan."  The given name Evan derives from the Welsh name Ifan, a cognate of John, meaning "gracious gift of Jehovah."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »

haha, i really enjoyed reading all of these! Keep 'em coming ;)

sansmile

• my beautiful grandchildren
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »

Hi all,
My name is Sandra, named while mum in maternity ward was reading a magazine !!  I am named after Sandra  Dee lol. The name Sandra is a variation of the greek Alexandra..defender  of men. My surname  i cant find.......maybe because  my husbands granddad changed the original ......due  to debts !!  But  my maiden name was Kerr which means...........(Origin Gaelic, Welsh, and Cornish British) Kaer, a castle; figuratively, strong, valiant; car, dear, a kinsman, a friend; Danish, Kier, dear, lovely.

Interesting.
Sandie.
Walk in the Spirit

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:23:46 AM »

haha very interesting indeed sandie!! Thanks for sharing :)

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »

Ha!Sandy!! I was named after a soap opera character..what soap opera is THAT old??heehee!!  :D I wanted to be like Sandra Dee..I'm thinking of the movie "Grease" ha!!  Actually get this my name means "pure" OMG!! I AM Sandra Dee!! heehee!! :D
Kathy ;)

Extol

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »

My full name means God Exists Red Earth Ugly Chief. How about that?   ;D

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »

My full name means God Exists Red Earth Ugly Chief. How about that?   ;D

i loled, lol

cjwood

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00:33 AM »

i too just laughed out loud, really loud.  love your name extol!

claudia

Ricky

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 02:29:53 AM »

lol, Erdman is my middle name, a German fellow told me that in German, Erdman means earthman or man of the earth. Oh really!! I just told the guy that it just wasent my fault I fell in the beginning and ended up here for punishment.
                Ricky :(
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

EKnight

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »

Eileen

Origin:
Gaelic
Meaning:
Form of Helen; Evelyn; Aveline; pleasant
Origin:
English
Meaning:
Form of Helen; Evelyn; Aveline; pleasant

Pleasant?  Me?  I don't think so.

Eileen

cjwood

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »

claudia
latin origin: meaning: 'lame or crippled'  :o
biblical: a christian woman of rome greeted by paul in his 2nd letter to timothy.
claudia: a legendary vestal virgin  :o
claudia procula: wife of pontius pilate  :o

jean
hebrew origin: meaning: 'the Lord is gracious'  :)

brooks
old english / old german origin: meaning: 'water, small stream'

wood
middle english origin: meaning: to describe a person who lived in or worked in a wood or forest.
old english origin: meaning: crazed or crazy; sometimes used to describe someone considered mad or violent.   >:(

okay. that's me in a nutshell.
lame/crippled, the Lord is gracious, small stream, wooded, crazy, and mad...
hmmmmmmmmmm....????

claudia jean brooks wood

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »

ROFL some of these are tooo hilariouse. Good stuff.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.