bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disobeying Christ  (Read 4620 times)

deftarchangel

Disobeying Christ
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »

I don’t know if my question will yield anything spiritually significant, but it’s something that I’ve been mulling over for some time, so I thought I’d get some outside input on it.  In the past, I had always wondered why it was that when the Lord Christ healed the blind men (Matt 9:27-30) or when he healed the leper (Mark 1:40-45 & Luke 5:12-15), He specifically told them not to tell anyone what He had done.  In both cases, however, they went and blabbed it to anyone who would listen.  No doubt their joy and exuberance got the better of them, and they were so excited by what the Lord had done for them that they just had to go and tell everyone.  But the Lord Christ specifically told them not to. 

Whenever the Lord Christ directly commanded an individual (or thing) to do something, it was done according to His command.  He would command other people (including His apostles) not to say anything to anyone and to keep a secret, command the water and the waves to be still, command the demons to be silent and to come out of a person, and even command a fig tree not bear fruit again, and all obeyed according to His commands.  How is it that the leper and blind men defied His command?  I know this has nothing to do with freewill, and I’m not suggesting that it does.  It’s just something that has always perplexed me as to why (or how) they could disobey a direct order from the Lord Christ.  The KJV says He straitly charged them not to say a word to anyone, and I even checked up the words in Strong’s dictionary, and in the case of Matt 9:30 and Mark 1:43, the word used was the Greek word  embrimaomai, which means:

From G1722 and brimaomai (to snort with anger); to have indignation on, that is, (transitively) to blame, (intransitively) to sigh with chagrin, (specifically) to sternly enjoin: - straitly charge, groan, murmur against.

This word is only used three other times in the NT, and it is translated as groaning (John 11:33 and John 11:38) or as murmuring against (Mark 14:5) as is seen in the definition.  In the case of Luke 5:14 (which is Mark 1:40-45 retold), the Greek word used is paraggellō, which does mean to charge  or to command

Why didn’t the Lord Christ extend His authority over the leper and the blind men?  Why let them go and blab what He had done when He specifically ordered them not to?  What's the spiritual lesson to be learned from that? 

I don't know...maybe i'm over-analyzing this.  Any thoughts (or even a link to a previous thread where this is covered) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

mharrell08

Re: Disobeying Christ
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:01:28 AM »

Why didn’t the Lord Christ extend His authority over the leper and the blind men?  Why let them go and blab what He had done when He specifically ordered them not to?  What's the spiritual lesson to be learned from that? 

Deftarchangel,

Can you think of 1 person during Christ ministry that did everything that He commanded?

Peter and the apostles didn't...the Scribes & Pharisees didn't...the multitudes didn't....what difference are the leper and the blind men?

Remember, the scriptures MUST be fulfilled [Matt 26:54, Mark 14:49, etc.]:

Ecc 3:11  He has made everything fitting in its season; However, He has put obscurity in their heart So that the man may not find out His work, That which the One, Elohim, does from the beginning to the terminus. [CLV]

Ps 53:2-3  God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom 3:10-12  As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Not one person who has ever lived would have been able to restrain themselves after receiving such a blessing...IN LIKE MANNER, many of us today, cannot restrain ourselves with these spiritual truths we've learned and then blab them to all instead of waiting to be ASKED what is our hope and letting our light shine.

Nope, just like those men healed in Christ's earthly ministry, we too have to blab to any and everyone when we have our spiritual eyes opened...it is a lesson in humility and obedience, He will deliver all of us in due time.

Marques

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:51:35 AM »

Well stated Marques, we have a great need to learn patience and humility; isn't that the reason that we go through this life.

Ecc 1:13 (MKJV)
And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all which is done under the heavens. It is a sad task God has given to the sons of men to be humbled by it.

Ecc 1:13 (CLV)
I applied my heart to inquiring and exploring by wisdom concerning all that is done under the heavens:it is an experience of evil Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it.

george.

deftarchangel

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »

Thanks Marques and George.  It's a little clearer now.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.