bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: overcoming sin??  (Read 5279 times)

rocky

overcoming sin??
« on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:33 AM »

This is a little long and a little redundant, sorry; I'm not real good at writing what I think i am seeing.  I would love other comments on this; as i'm sure i am only seeing glimpses of something here.  

Was thinking about overcoming.  

I don't think overcoming means getting to the point of not ever sinning.  I dont' think the flesh can be perfected.  As long as we are in this fleshly body, sin will be there, and just as Paul's thorn in the flesh; we all will continue to sin until the day we die.  

I think overdcoming means, that as Christ's light shines in and on us more and more, we will with increasing "eyes" see our sin, the beast; and further trust in Christ to cleanse us from those sins.  Our desire will no longer be to sin, because of this light.

1Jo 1:5  This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

I Jo 1:6  If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

What does it mean to walk in darkness??  seems to me it means to not "see" our sin, not "see" our need for a savior, "not see" our need for Christ.  We deny him by "not seeing" that we can do nothing without him.  We through works of the law/flesh, filthy rags of righteousness, think we are darn good.    Blind to the real truth that we are beasts.  

1Jo 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The light, doesn't cause us to stop sinning, but it does change our heart, so sin has no dominion over us.  The light shows us clearly, how sinful we are, and the need for Christ.  Because of the light in our heart, our desire is not to sin.  When we see our constant need for him, we walk in the light, and fellowhip one with another.  

1Jo 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Seems again, walking in the light is not about "not sinning", but about seeing our sin, and the need for him.  

1Jo 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No one will see the need to confess their sin, unless the light is showing them this.

1Jo 1:10  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1Jo 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

(he walked with total reliance on the father, as we are to walk in total reliance on him, only he can be our righteousness)

1Jo 2:15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1Jo 2:16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

One who loves the world, sees no need for Christ.  Loving the world is equivalent to hating your brother.  

1Jo 2:22  Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1Jo 2:23  Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: but he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

again seeing this denying him, as seeing no need for him, feeling prideful and smug in our own self righteousness.  

1Jo 3:5  And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1Jo 3:6  Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.  (sinneth not, not becasue we don't sin; but because of our reliance on Christ, those sins our taken care of, and becasue of Christ, they are not our desire).  

1Jo 3:9  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Again, stressing that this is not a opportunity to sin more, and confess more, as because of the Light, we have no more desire for sin; but also becasue of the Light, we see our constant need to trust and rely on Christ and confess our sin.  Only by faith, total abandonment and trust on Christ can we overcome.

Alan

overcoming sin??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 06:16:54 AM »

Good one Rocky!

We will always have the flesh to contend with in this life.

Thankfully though, with the Father and the Son living in us, we don't have to be under it's control!

Rom 6:11  Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Praise God!

Alan

eutychus

overcoming sin??
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:43:46 AM »

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

ouch :P  and

ps.
im not saying sin is ok :roll:

johann

overcoming sin??
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »

We never "overcome" sin.  Sin dwells in our members - in our flesh.  Paul says the things he wanted to do he was not able to do and the things he did not want to do he kept doing according to Romans seven.
He then goes on to say that we are delivered from sin.  The law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus sets me free from the law of sin and death according to Romans eight.
Jesus conquered sin and death and it's not for us to try and do it all over again.  We need to stand in His victory and "RECKON" ourselves dead to sin (Gal. 2:20) through our co-crucifixion with Him. It's all a matter of faith in a victory that has already been won.

mercie

overcoming sin??
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 06:47:32 AM »

Quote from: johann
We never "overcome" sin.  Sin dwells in our members - in our flesh.  Paul says the things he wanted to do he was not able to do and the things he did not want to do he kept doing according to Romans seven.
He then goes on to say that we are delivered from sin.  The law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus sets me free from the law of sin and death according to Romans eight.
Jesus conquered sin and death and it's not for us to try and do it all over again.  We need to stand in His victory and "RECKON" ourselves dead to sin (Gal. 2:20) through our co-crucifixion with Him. It's all a matter of faith in a victory that has already been won.

Good Post Johann

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.

:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:  

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.  

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;  

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;  

2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.  

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge [/b]of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.  

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

2Cr 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to [give] the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.