bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saved?  (Read 5231 times)

bible man

saved?
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:35:47 AM »

the phrase "might be saved" like in john 3:16-17  is the word might accurate?  If so what does it mean?  I understand and preach the salvation of all but might is he popular question today.  THANKS!!!

9440geoff

Re: saved?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:28:51 AM »

Hi bible man,

The verse you refer inthe KJV with Strongs is:

Joh 3:17 ForG1063 GodG2316 sentG649 notG3756 hisG848 SonG5207 intoG1519 theG3588 worldG2889 toG2443 condemnG2919 theG3588 world;G2889 butG235 thatG2443 theG3588 worldG2889 throughG1223 himG846 might be saved.G4982

The definition given by Strongs for G4982 is:

G4982
σώζω
sōzō
sode'-zo
From a primary word σῶς sōs̄ (contraction for the obsolete σάος saos, “safe”); to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.

The definition given by Thayer is:

G4982
σώζω
sōzō
Thayer Definition:
1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
1a) one (from injury or peril)
1a1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
1b1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
1b) to save in the technical biblical sense
1b1) negatively
1b1a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
1b1b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, “safe”)
Citing in TDNT: 7:965, 1132

From these definitions I don't see any "might".

Geoff

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »

Might be, should be, may be; it's all the same!
It's not a "well I might save you", as in a "wish I could save you".

Joh 12:47  And if any man hear my sayings, and keep them not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

1Ti 2:4  Who will have all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5  For there is one God: and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus:
1Ti 2:6  Who gave himself a redemption for all, a testimony in due times.

1Ti 4:10  For therefore we labour and are reviled, because we hope in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, especially of the faithful.
1Ti 4:11  These things command and teach:
1Ti 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth: but be thou an example of the faithful, in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in chastity.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:06:18 PM by Patrick »

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

the phrase "might be saved" like in john 3:16-17  is the word might accurate?  If so what does it mean?  I understand and preach the salvation of all but might is he popular question today.  THANKS!!!

Bibleman.Here are a few more translations of that verse.

CLV
Joh 3:16 For thus God loves the world, so that He gives His only-begotten Son, that everyone who is believing in Him should not be perishing, but may be having life eonian."
Joh 3:17 For God does not dispatch His Son into the world that He should be judging the world, but that the world may be saved through Him."

ASV
Joh 3:15  that whosoever believeth may in him have eternal life.
Joh 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

ISV
Joh 3:16  "For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life.
Joh 3:17  For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

YLT
Joh 3:16  for God did so love the world, that His Son--the only begotten--He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.
Joh 3:17  For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;

LITV
Joh 3:16  for God did so love the world, that His Son--the only begotten--He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.
Joh 3:17  For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;

Peace...Mark

Kat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

Hi Bible man,

John 3:17  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

It's just the way the words were used in this sentence, "might be saved."  The word "might" does not mean 'maybe,' it's saying He did not send His Son to condemn the the world, BUT/OR instead of being condemned that the world might/may be saved.  To try to use that to mean He might or might not saved the whole world is just a very weak argument that does not stand up to the rest of Scripture that says He will save the world.  

John 12:47  And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

In John 12 Christ said He came "to save the world" you could actually use the same 'that the world might be saved' in that verse and it would mean the same thing as in John 3.  But it does not even use the word 'might' there so nobody can even try and use it to mean maybe.  It states very plainly that He came "to save the world" no getting around that.  But here is another verse that states the same.

1John 4:14  And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.