bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Find: Lucifer in the Vulgate  (Read 8092 times)

daywalker

Interesting Find: Lucifer in the Vulgate
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »

This morning I had a sudden interest to start a quest for the Origin of the Lucifer doctrine--that is, who/when/where started it. I had heard before that it originated from the ancient Babylonian goddess Venus [known as the morning or day star. sound familiar?] and I know that the Romans also worshipped Venus. But this morning I finally decided to begin a thorough search for the real origin... and during my quest, I stumbled across an interesting fact I did not know...

The word "Lucifer" actually appears TWICE in the Latin Vulgate; as opposed to just once in the KJV and its associates. Perhaps some of you know this already, but for those who did not I thought I'd share this bit of info...

[I put the following together...]

VULGATE Isaiah 14:12 quomodo cecidisti de caelo LUCIFER qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes

The KJV and few other bible translations transliterate the Latin “Lucifer” in the above verse. Everyone knows this... but how many knew about the 2nd time it's found in:

II Peter 1:19 et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et LUCIFER oriatur in cordibus vestries

Although “Lucifer” is found here a second time in the Vulgate, it is not found in any English Bible. And there’s no wonder why.

Imagine the confusion should the KJV have read:

II Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and LUCIFER arises in your hearts

Personally, I would love to hear an explanation from a Christian pastor/theologian on this one...

Daywalker  8)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:00:40 PM by daywalker »

daywalker

Re: Interesting Find: Lucifer in the Vulgate
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

Hey something else I found...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer#Mentions_of_the_Morning_Star_in_the_Bible

The Vulgate uses "stella matutina" to translated "ὁ ἀστὴρ ὁ πρωϊνός" (or, according to some manuscripts, "ὁ ἀστὴρ ὁ ὀρθρινός") in Revelation 22:16, where it is Jesus who is described as the morning star. An echo of this Biblical use is found in the Roman Rite liturgy, in which the Exultet chant in praise of the paschal candle refers to Christ as the morning star (in Latin lucifer):

Flammas eius LUCIFER matutinus inveniat:
ille, inquam, lucifer, qui nescit occasum,
Christus Filius tuus qui,
regressus ab inferis,
humano generi serenus illuxit,
et vivit et regnat in saecula saeculorum.

May the Morning Star which never sets
find this flame still burning:
Christ, that Morning Star,
who came back from the dead,
and shed his peaceful light on all mankind,
your Son, who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

So, basically, the Church gives Satan the title "Lucifer", which actually belongs to JESUS CHRIST!

Wow! All this amazing information so easy to find nowadays... luv the Internet!  :D

9440geoff

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »

Thanks Daywalker, that's a good bit of detective work.

Geoff

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM »

CORRECTION:

"Lucifer" actually appears THREE times in the Vulgate.
The 2 verses I mentioned already, and a 3rd time in Job 11:17:

et quasi meridianus fulgor consurget tibi ad vesperam et cum te consumptum putaveris orieris ut Lucifer

[KJV] And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.

For some reason, when you do a search in eSword for "Lucifer" in the Vulgate Bible, it only shows the TWO I first mentioned. But during my quest, I read on WIKI that it was also in Job, and low and behold when I went to that verse via eSword, there it was... It kinda bothers me that eSword failed to find it in it's search... I tried several times [as a test], even did a search of the book of Job only, but still eSword couldn't locate it via 'search'. [even though I had it right in front of me...]  ???

Looks like we eSword users need to be aware of this, and double-check our stats via some other source, like biblegateway.com, etc.

Over & Out,

Daywalker  8)

PS: No problem, Geoff. Always glad to share my findings.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:52:44 AM by daywalker »

9440geoff

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:53:50 AM »

Hi Daywalker,

I just went to check on my esword and it comes up with all three references to lucifer.

I have the latest version 9x.

Geoff

daywalker

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »

Hi Daywalker,

I just went to check on my esword and it comes up with all three references to lucifer.

I have the latest version 9x.

Geoff

hmmm.. interesting. I have the older version 8x. I considered upgrading to 9x but I have a lot of bibles, and books and other stuff that I downloaded for 8x, and I don't believe they are available for 9x.. at least, I couldn't find them

odinpop

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:17:22 AM »

My vesion 9 searches 3 as well....

I will probably post this else where also, but this link will take you to the following versions for E SWORD version 9

http://www.alampthatburns.net/e-sword/eswmods.htm

Rotherham's Emphasized Version
Concordant Literal Version
Revised Young's Literal Translation New Testament
Jonathan Mitchell New Testament
Emphatic Diaglott New Testament
Twentieth Century New Testament
Wuest New Testament (w/ commentary and dictionary)
J. B. Phillips New Testament
Lamsa New Testament
KJV with Tense, Voice, and Mood (w/ dictionary)

daywalker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

My vesion 9 searches 3 as well....

I will probably post this else where also, but this link will take you to the following versions for E SWORD version 9

http://www.alampthatburns.net/e-sword/eswmods.htm

Rotherham's Emphasized Version
Concordant Literal Version
Revised Young's Literal Translation New Testament
Jonathan Mitchell New Testament
Emphatic Diaglott New Testament
Twentieth Century New Testament
Wuest New Testament (w/ commentary and dictionary)
J. B. Phillips New Testament
Lamsa New Testament
KJV with Tense, Voice, and Mood (w/ dictionary)

Wow, awesome.. Thanx! I'll check out the new version tonight...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.