bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: drunk  (Read 10498 times)

bible man

drunk
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:46 AM »

why wasnt it a sin for jesus to drink wine? is a sin to drink today?

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: drunk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »

If Jesus drank wine with alcohol in it (he did) and it wasn't a sin (obviously) then neither would it be for us.  Drunkeness is a work of the flesh and it is a sin of course.  In the babalonian days my denomination was a bunch of tee totalers (or so they said) and having an alcoholic beverage was a big no no.  But at the same time when it came to eating it was like a bunch of fat swine pushing and shoving at the feeding trough and they didn't think anything of it.  Gluttony is a sin that ranks right up with drunkeness but of course that part was ignored.  They simply exchanged one sin for another.  Jesus drank wine occasionally but he didn't get drunk.  Jesus ate food but he wasn't a glutton.  

The pharassies knew that Jesus drank real wine....

Mat 11:19  The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

They were not calling him a winebibber because he was drinking grape juice.  However there are other important things to consider as well.  Paul tells us...

Rom 14:20-21  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.   It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak

There are those weak in faith who might stumble at you having an alcoholic beverage and if that be the case for their sake it is better not to partake in order not to cause a stumbling block.  Paul further tells in in v23 that whatever is not of faith is sin so if one can not partake with a clear conscience in the matter then one should abstain.  

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »

why wasnt it a sin for jesus to drink wine? is a sin to drink today?

Where is it ever written that it is a sin to drink wine in the first place?

Marques

Kat

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »

Hi Bible man,

Here is an email on drinking.

http://bible-truths.com/email16.htm#drinking -----

As for drinking. No, the wine mentioned in Scripture was not weak like water. There are a dozen or more Scriptures that make reference to "drunkenness" and it is always condemned.
Here are a few:

"And take heed to yourselves  lest at any time your hearts be overcharged [weighed down] with surfeiting [carousing], and DRUNKENNESS, and care of this life, and so that day come upon you unaware" (Luke 21:34).

"Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and DRUNKENNESS, not in chambering [licentiousness] and wantonness [lewdness], not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and MAKE NO PROVISION FOR THE FLESH, TO FULFILL THE LUSTS THEREOF" (Rom. 13:13).

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulsions, wrath, strife, sedition's, herisies, envyings, murder, DRUNKENNESS, revelings, and such like of the which I tell you before as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD" (Rom. 5:19-21).

All these warnings being said, is there a proper use of alcohol? Yes there is. Jesus drank wine, as did all the Apostles. Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana. And surely as the host suggested, they did not save the best "grape juice" till last--it was WINE.

Wine and STRONGER drinks were permissible under the law of Moses:

"And you shall bestow that money for whatsoever your soul lusts after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for STRONG DRINK..." (Deut. 14:26).

Notice that even Paul (who sternly warned against "drunkenness"), that wine can be beneficial:

"Drink no longer water, but use A LITTLE wine [don't get DRUNK] for thy stomach's sake and your often [frequent] infirmities [sicknesses]" (I Tim. 5:23).

So there, briefly, is what the Scriptures say regarding wine and strong drink, but your situation will have to be evaluated by you. Ask God to guide you in ALL YOUR DECISIONS IN LIFE.
------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Roy Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »

I can drink a small glass of wine or one cold beer and be feeling the affects almost immediately. I'm not drunk but definitely influenced. There seems to be a fine line here somewhere. Anyway, I don't feel as if I'm sinning to have a beer or some wine from time to time to take off the edge.

Roy

daywalker

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »

It's all depends on the intention of the heart...

A group of guys hanging out, having a barbecue, watching football and drinking a few beers is one thing...

Going out to a club or bar or party with the intent of getting wasted and possibly doing something stupid, that's obviously sin.

Daywalker 8)

kenny

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »

unfortunantly my days as a drug abuser causes me to collect kidney stones every few years and i use beer to help swell up my kidney's and bladder causing the stones to pass easier if they do not pass that way it cost me around 21,000.00 to have them removed so i say 10 to 20 dollars is a little easier on the pocket book

kenny

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »

It's all depends on the intention of the heart...

That's good.  Religion always looks at the externals doesn't it?  Back in the day we sure thought we were holy because we wouldn't think of having a beer or seeing a movie or any of those external things.  By observing these rules and regulations we thought we were seperating ourselves from the world but the whole time we were priding ourselves in how 'holy' we were compared to those who partook of those things.  Good Christians kept all the rules and the bad Christians didn't follow our rules.  Of course we thought that the Amish were taking things a little too far and we couldn't hold a candle to the sabbath keepers of course but a lot of it came down to just observing rules and regulations and we were just as carnal (if not more so) as those who we were judging because they didn't keep our rules.

stephen

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »

John 2:10: And saith to him, Every man at the beginning presenteth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

It is interesting to note that the word drunk (Strong's G3184 - methoo) stems from the Greek word methe (Strong's G3178)
which means "intoxicant".

The Ruler of the feast was thus saying it was custom to serve good wine until everyone was drunk (intoxicated) and then the less good wine.

Stephen

cjwood

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »

perhaps its' like our Father God presents us with the weaker drink
'of our own watered down belief systems' in the beginning of the feast.
thenafter, He draws us to His Truths, as presented through His Spirit.

(...Truths He has portrayed on this website and this forum)

afterwhich, if we remain faithful, He presents us the 'Stronger Drink' of His Living Waters.
and the Power of That Water. That Drink.
Jesus Christ.
in us.

perhaps. :)
claudia

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:24:15 PM by cjwood »

cjwood

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 04:42:45 AM »

Here is an email on drinking.

http://bible-truths.com/email16.htm#drinking -----

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulsions, wrath, strife, sedition's, herisies, envyings, murder, DRUNKENNESS, revelings, and such like of the which I tell you before as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD" (Rom. 5:19-21).

hi kat,
i was studying through this thread, and i was looking up the scriptures referenced here, but found that these are from gal. 5:19-21, instead of rom. 5:19-21.

claudia

9440geoff

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

That's a good analogy, Claudia.

:)

MePogo

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »

oops!  I think a glass of brandy, in the right circumstances and at the right time is a gift from God.  Gluttony, of anything, is a sin. Too much beef could be seen as a sin.  If we gorged ourselves on turnips until we burst, it could be seen as a sin.  Some of us can drink nothing alcoholic safely if we have the disease of alcoholism.  For others, a glass of wine is an absolute blessing.  Okay, just another meaningless thought from someone who used to enjoy an occasional cocktail before dinner.  Maybe I am justifying, but I see drinking to excess a sin.... just like a thousand other sins we must turn away from.  Hope I'm not offending anyone here but remember to stay in control of ALL we consume. 

Love to all,
Pogo

Roy Coates

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM »

perhaps its' like our Father God presents us with the weaker drink
'of our own watered down belief systems' in the beginning of the feast.
thenafter, He draws us to His Truths, as presented through His Spirit.

(...Truths He has portrayed on this website and this forum)

afterwhich, if we remain faithful, He presents us the 'Stronger Drink' of His Living Waters.
and the Power of That Water. That Drink.
Jesus Christ.
in us.

perhaps. :)
claudia

Awesome, wow, kudos Claudia and the Spirt that inspired you to right that. It was powerful for me, Thanks, Roy

cjwood

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 02:42:25 AM »

awwww roy, that was so Sweet. our Father is so Cool.  8)

claudia

all is from Him. awesome, just Awesome.

jg

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »

Forgive me for inserting a bit of humor regarding the subject of drinking, but I heard this one the other day and I thought it might just fit in here;

"I was at Walmart the other day with the wife. I picked up a 12 pack of bud, but she ordered me to put it back because she didn't want me spending the $12.  A few isles later, she picked up a $25 "tub" of face moisturizer and put it in the cart.  I said, "Now hold on here!  That's $25 you're about to spend!  What's up with that?"  She said, "But honey, it makes me look 10 years younger!" 

I said, "But honey, I can get the same result with a twelve pack of bud at half the cost!"  That's when the fight started...

Seriously, I see no problem with having a glass of wine, but with my metabolism, a second glass can get me on the edge of sin, if not over the edge.  But I believe the same holds true for anything we like, from chocolate to pop to "love of money."  My two cents.

Joe

AK4

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »

unfortunantly my days as a drug abuser causes me to collect kidney stones every few years and i use beer to help swell up my kidney's and bladder causing the stones to pass easier if they do not pass that way it cost me around 21,000.00 to have them removed so i say 10 to 20 dollars is a little easier on the pocket book

kenny

My girlfriend gets these every now and then.  Does that really work?  I know she would be happy if so

kenny

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »

kenny

My girlfriend gets these every now and then.  Does that really work?  I know she would be happy if so

Yes it does work when i found religion it was taught to me that now i have to quit drinking beer and i did and in the first 13 years i was placed in the hospital to have them removed on 4 different occasions and the doctor made a comment that before i quit drinking i was able to pass all my stones because they where so little and he couldn't figure out what changed so i shared with him the only real changes was that i had quit drinking and doing drugs and he made the comment about even the bible say that a little wine is good for you, and maybe i should drink a couple of beers every now and then and so far it is working, 

Roy Martin

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

I sure do like it when Silvia drinks a glass of wine. It makes me feel good. :D

Roy

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

I can drink a small glass of wine or one cold beer and be feeling the affects almost immediately. I'm not drunk but definitely influenced. There seems to be a fine line here somewhere. Anyway, I don't feel as if I'm sinning to have a beer or some wine from time to time to take off the edge.

Roy

Eh sometimes its nice to crack open a cold beer and just relax. You don't need to get drunk or even tipsy but yea.. lol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.