bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-cigarettes  (Read 7324 times)

EKnight

E-cigarettes
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »

I know a lot of you are smokers as I am and I know we've discussed quitting methods and how hard it is etc.  Now I have discovered this e-cigarette and I think this could be the answer.  Rather than explain, I hope it's ok to post this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyIBvsWyPY&feature=related

I am not promoting this brand (although it is the one I bought) but I do think it may be a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes.  I chose this particular video because it simply yet accurately describes the e-cigarette.

Eileen

Roy Martin

Re: E-cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »

Hello Eileen, so what do you think about it so far? I've heard of these, but you can be a witness of what its like. Please! I do hope its a good report. How long have you had it, Give me all the details of your opinion.

Roy

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:22:48 PM »

Hi Roy,

I haven't completely given up cigarettes (analog cigarettes) yet but I think I could.  These e-cigarettes are a nicotine delivery system but I am using a lower mg than I would normally smoke so this may have something to do with my craving for a real cig. They take some getting used to but they are quite realistic.  I brought them into work where two of the four other people I work with, recently quit smoking and were amazed at the amount of "vapor" that came out of my mouth.  Being able to puff away at my desk is a real attraction to this product for me.  I bought the "tobacco" flavored ones and it's not quite the tobacco flavor but I can get used to it.  I order additional "cartridges" in other flavors just to test them out.  The cost is significantly less than analog cigs and the damage to your body is reduced significantly as well. Like I said, I bought a lower mg but the sensation from inhaling is similar to that of a real cigarette.  I bought the Green Smoke brand but my son just ordered Volcano brand which was cheaper but their cartridges are equal to four or five cigarettes and my cartridges are equal to a pack or more.  His has a separate atomizer (the mechanism that heats the liquid to make the vapor) and it has to be cleaned and eventually replaced where the ones I bought have the atomizers built into every cartridge which is why they cost more. 

Anyway, there are quite a few brands; blucig, volcano, green smoke, smoke everywhere, and others.  I ordered mine at work and two minutes later they called my home phone to say that the 8mg I ordered were not in stock and I could choose another flavor or get the tobacco flavor in 6mg.  So if this is typical of their customer service, then that was pretty good.  However, my son was also satisfied with customer service from Volcano but he has not received them yet but expects them Monday.

I will keep you posted as to my progress but I think it looks promising.

Eileen

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »

Just a little heads up...

E-cigarettes are not safe, and here’s why
July 23, 2009

E-cigarettes, or electronic cigarettes, have been largely unregulated, and there have been many doctors questioning its safety.

MedPage Today recently reported on the FDA’s analysis of such products, and now we have some guidance as to how dangerous they can be.

E-cigarettes are battery operated, and contain nicotine and other flavors that the user can inhale. Advertisements claim they are safer since they don’t burn tobacco.

But according to the FDA, they “contain carcinogens such as diethylene glycol — used in antifreeze — and nitrosamines.”

To his credit, internist Matthew Mintz has been sounding the alarm for awhile. Not only does he point out they are largely unregulated, there are real questions as to whether they help with smoking cessation at all. He writes that, “e-cigarettes were designed to be tobacco cigarette replacement products, not smoking cessation aides. It is also possible that smokers will use e-cigarettes in place of SOME of their tobacco cigarettes. Although this does decrease exposure to known dangerous products, e-cigarettes might therefore actually prolong tobacco cigarette smoking.”

It’s encouraging to see the FDA start critically analyzing the claims of these types of alternative products, often advertised on late-night television. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Don’t be fooled by these ads. E-cigarettes contain nicotine and are addictive as other cigarettes. Because of the chemicals they contain, they might be even more dangerous.

Peace...Mark

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

Just a little heads up...

E-cigarettes are not safe, and here’s why
July 23, 2009

E-cigarettes, or electronic cigarettes, have been largely unregulated, and there have been many doctors questioning its safety.

MedPage Today recently reported on the FDA’s analysis of such products, and now we have some guidance as to how dangerous they can be.

E-cigarettes are battery operated, and contain nicotine and other flavors that the user can inhale. Advertisements claim they are safer since they don’t burn tobacco.

But according to the FDA, they “contain carcinogens such as diethylene glycol — used in antifreeze — and nitrosamines.”

To his credit, internist Matthew Mintz has been sounding the alarm for awhile. Not only does he point out they are largely unregulated, there are real questions as to whether they help with smoking cessation at all. He writes that, “e-cigarettes were designed to be tobacco cigarette replacement products, not smoking cessation aides. It is also possible that smokers will use e-cigarettes in place of SOME of their tobacco cigarettes. Although this does decrease exposure to known dangerous products, e-cigarettes might therefore actually prolong tobacco cigarette smoking.”

It’s encouraging to see the FDA start critically analyzing the claims of these types of alternative products, often advertised on late-night television. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Don’t be fooled by these ads. E-cigarettes contain nicotine and are addictive as other cigarettes. Because of the chemicals they contain, they might be even more dangerous.

Peace...Mark

Source?

Eileen, not to be a smart-aleck, but you know you won't stop smoking until you stop smoking, and you won't stop ingesting nicotine until you stop doing that.  Keep your eye on the prize, and if these things help you over the hump, then so be it.  I did a few weeks of Snoos (I think that's how you spell it..little packets of tobacco put under the lip, like snuff, only different).  It served to break up the habit pattern (you know...reach, pull, light, and suck) while pretty completely satisfying the nicotine jones for hours.  The same thing happens any time I break up a habit pattern.  Going on vacation with a change of scenery makes me not even think about chewing my nails, for example.  There's somethig spiritual in there, but I can't articulate it.

I still had to make the concious decision to stop smoking, and to not take up snoosing full-time.  Poverty helped tremendously.  ;)   But it was a help to break up that habit pattern before laying them down completely.  I'm about 4 months clean and it gets easier.  We won't know we've quit until we're dead, I think.  But you can stop, and the act of quitting is surely a way that the Lord can teach you and cause you to become more conformed to the image of His Son, even if its not a straight line to 'victory'.  It seldom is, I think.

Hang in there.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:27 PM »

dave,
very well articulated, i'd say.

oh what a nasty beast it is that we fight daily. nasty, vile, smelly, mean, stiff-necked, determined, etc. etc. etc.  i hate this beast in me, absolutely hate it. >:(

claudia

Marky Mark

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

Source?

Can't recall. Take it for what its worth ::).

EKnight

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:09:26 PM »

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services in April of 1994, this list of ingredients had long been kept a secret.

See the list:

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm

As opposed to:The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These tests indicate that these products contained detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users could potentially be exposed.

Full article:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm173222.htm

The idea that that e-cigs may be a good tobacco smoke alternative in the future could hold true, the FDA and WHO acknowledged, but proof of the product's safety must come first.

Full article: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/13/ecigarettes.smoking/

So, I did my homework and I decided to take the risk with the traces of carcinogens found in the limited FDA testing of e-cigarettes over the 4000 known carcinogens found in cigarettes.  Yes, I am a nicotine addict but nicotine outside of cigarette tobacco,IMO, is an addiction not much worse than that of caffeine.

Even if this is just a substitute like the patch, or nicotine gum,the nicotine inhaler or chantix and other pills(none of which worked for me), it's still better than smoking and my plan is to reduce the MG's eventually down to zero because the oral fixation has always been the hardest part of quitting for me and this device fits the bill. 

I've prayed for God to take this desire from me for years, maybe this is His answer for now.

Eileen

Marky Mark

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »

I've prayed for God to take this desire from me for years, maybe this is His answer for now.

Eileen

My prayers are with you sister Eileen. :)
I watched my mother die from COPD[emphysema],all because she could not or would not quit smoking. I do miss her. :'(

Email response from Ray.
http://bible-truths.com/email16.htm#drinking

There is no mention of "smoking" in the Scriptures, as it appears to have been a more recent invention of modern times, so I can't give you specific examples of it in Scripture. It is a "lust of the flesh." It produces physical pleasure, but apparently GREAT PHYSICAL DAMAGE to the body. My father smoked for over a half century and died a horrible painful death from emphysema.

And if one of the parents smoke, you can almost bet that the children will smoke.

Our Fathers Word is the best and only way to live. As with any desire of the flesh, they must be destroyed in this worldly life now, if any of us our to be in the Kingdom of God.
Lord knows,its hard work,but the benefits[end results] are well known to this forum.

All Praise and Glory to The Father.

1 Corinthians 6:
12 “Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

1 Corinthians 6:
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 10:
31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Peace...Mark

Linny

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »

Roy is correct. The FDA is a joke. The members are all in someone's pocket and if you have paid them well, your product is approved.
As far as quitting is concerned, I did it. I just quit. It hurt. After your body has gone through the withdrawal it gets easier and easier. I wanted them for a year. Then after that year I have had zero desire now for 17 years. Hate the smell, can't stand to eat in a restaurant that allows it.
Take the pain of desire.  It is way better than the pain of being unable to breathe later...

Roy Martin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »

I deleted my reply because it might have became political. I'll put it a little milder. FDA only supports what lines their pockets, and downs those that doesn't pay. Its that true and simple.
 Linny you are right, but some can do it and some can't.

Roy

MePogo

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:37:52 AM »

Stop smoking?  Nothing to it.  I've done it three times.  The patches do help.  I vouch for them.  But, unfortunately, they don't force you to stop.  Eventually you are through with the patches and then weight gain, depression and smoking friends creep in.  I'm going to stop again as soon as I get rid of all the stress in my life.  Stayed smoke free for a year once but found out that I had a before-dinner drink and I can't drink alcohol without a cigarette.   :o   See how this poor brain works?  I keep finding excuses.  Waiting for a stress-free life; well it's as good an excuse as any.  No Marguarita, no smoke, less food, why would I want to live?  Maybe because I'd addicted to breathing?

Good luck to all of us who really want to quit.  We need all the help we can get.  Oh, to never have started. 

Hugs,
Pogo 

jerreye

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:46:50 AM »

Very interesting post...I actually purchased my first e-cig about 2 months ago from China. I smoked "analogue" smokes for over 15 years and I haven't had a single puff of an analogue since receiving my e-cig!

This is really quite an amazing product and I feel it is the greatest "quit-smoking" device ever invented and I believe that these could save millions of lives. If you are trying to quit smoking, then I highly recommend these things. The DO work.

I believe that soon I will be able to ween myself down to near zero nicotine, then completely get off of nicotine altogether. The great news is that the major battle is finally over—I'm off those cancer sticks!

Cheers,
Jeremy

EKnight

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »

Jeremy,

What brand did you get?  I am having trouble staying off the analogs still although I am smoking a lot less of them and not really over-using the e-cigarettes either.

Pogo,

I understand what you mean about the alcohol and cigarettes.  Maybe you should stop drinking the alcohol.  That's what I did with alcohol and coffee when I quit several times but only to return again and again.  The longest I have gone is 18 months but I was a real b*tch the whole time.  I spoke to my niece who is a psychologist and she agreed with me that the lack of nicotine could cause a chemical change throughout the body thus causing my constant intolerance and irritability.  I honestly thought that my marriage would have ended if I had not gone back to cigarettes the last time I quit.  It's just not easy.  I used to drink at least one or two beers a night or a couple of glasses of wine but I almost never drink anymore and I never thought I would do that either.

For now, I'm waiting on the Lord to help rid me of this nasty addiction. 

Eileen

jerreye

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »

Hey EKnight,

Most "brands" out there are not very good. I suggest staying away from popular brand name e-cigs (such as "Smoking Everywhere" and "Blu") as they seem to be inferior. The best overall e-cig on the market as far as I have discovered from avid e-cig users on the e-cig forums (and from my personal experience) is called the Joy510.

I also suggest not using the prefilled cartridges either as they are a big scam. Purchase some empty cartridges and use "e-juice" instead and just "drip-smoke" by dripping 3-4 drops of the juice straight into the atomizer (heating element). Yes, this might seem a bit tedious at first but after a few times it becomes like second nature (takes about 20 seconds) and each 3-4 drops will last about 2-4 cigs worth. This will also save you a LOT of money down the road. Trust me.

The place I use to get my stuff is called HealthCabin.net. They are in China and they have the best prices I have seen anywhere and they have very good support.

If you want my suggestion on what to buy, get the following:

- The Joy510 Starter kit in whatever color you prefer (I like the stainless steel)
- Several 10ml e-juice bottles in whatever flavors you want to try (they are just $3-4 per 10ml bottle). Best thing is to try a lot of flavors until you find the right ones for you. Just get the 10ML bottles to test them out.
- Get the PCC (personal charging case) as you can charge your e-cig battery on the go wherever you are (allows you to carry extra batteries etc).
- You might want to get a couple spare atomizers and a couple spare batteries.

This is what I got and it has been the best decision I have ever made in regards to my health. Again, I smoked for 15+ years and I haven't had a single analogue since I got my kit (over 2 months ago!). This is truly a miracle product.

I hope this helped!

Cheers,
Jeremy

PS: If you ever need any help on any of this, just give me a shout :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:05:53 AM by jerreye »

Amrhrasach

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »

I'm going to stop again as soon as I get rid of all the stress in my life.   Hugs,
Pogo 

Please take SPECIFIC notes for this formula.

Write memoir.

Sell to publishing company.

Recruit "sham-wow" guy to promote on television. 

Become filthy rich.

Stress out all over again deciding which new toys to purchase from said gajillions you will receive from memoir.

(ps: remember all your friends here on BTforum prior to, and after, receiving gajillions   ;)    ;D)

geokuhns

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I quit smoking 342 times.  :o All kidding aside here's my story for what its worth.

I began smoking in grade school. Smoked for 14 years. Then quit for 14 years. Began to smoke again (just like riding a bike again - you never forget how) and quit again after about another 16 years. That was in 1996 when I was 58. I used some kind of help product but can't recall what it was. I still have my driver's license from 1996 with my photo. I looked like death warmed over. Today I am 71 and look a heckiva lot better.

I don't think the help product helped me at all although there might be some that work. What I believe worked for me was dedicating my quitting to my brother-in-law who died that year. I quit on his birthday following his death. He was a heavy smoker, died from a heart problem that was probably caused by smoking. Also at the time I quit I was coughing up a lot of mucous, ususally after a meal. I had (and still do) 5 grandsons and I made up my mind I wanted to watch them grow up. Praise God! I quit and never was tempted to smoke again.

I pray for all of you that want to kick a very destructive habit.

EKnight

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »

My son bought "Volcano" e-cigarettes and has not smoked an analog since.  This is good news because he has had a terrible cough off and on for years and I expect him to get better.  He is too young (24) to have a smokers cough so I see these e-cigarettes as a lifesaver.  I have significantly reduced my cigarettes use down to 4 from about 12 per day.  I know it's not "quitting" but it is a healthier alternative if you are someone who can't seem to put the cancer sticks down.

Eileen

Marlene

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »

I am so happy to here that Eileen!

Marlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.