bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God's Voice?  (Read 9934 times)

shaine

God's Voice?
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »

Ok, so I was chatting with my wife recently about this issue, hearing the voice of God.

Some people have claimed to have heard the voice of God, but I don't think that is even possible.

One thing that had me stumped, though, was when Jesus and the 3 disciples went on the mount to witness the Transfiguration. Now, I know that this was a vision because Jesus says" Tell the vision to no one", but in that vision they hear the voice of God.

But Jesus also said that "Ye have neither heard his voice at any time,nor seen his shape." John 5:37

I guess my question is...Did the Disciples hear God's voice and no one else did?

Hope that question wasn't worded too strangely.

Thanks,

Shaine

mharrell08

Re: God's Voice?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »

Ok, so I was chatting with my wife recently about this issue, hearing the voice of God.

Some people have claimed to have heard the voice of God, but I don't think that is even possible.

One thing that had me stumped, though, was when Jesus and the 3 disciples went on the mount to witness the Transfiguration. Now, I know that this was a vision because Jesus says" Tell the vision to no one", but in that vision they hear the voice of God.

But Jesus also said that "Ye have neither heard his voice at any time,nor seen his shape." John 5:37

I guess my question is...Did the Disciples hear God's voice and no one else did?

Thanks,

Shaine

Hello Shaine,

Here is an email reply from Ray regarding God's voice (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5374.msg42710.html#msg42710):

Dear Mark:
Notice that it was "a" voice, not the Father's voice. God has many millions of messengers
(erroneously called "angels" in Scripture). A messenger delivers messages. These particular
message was that "This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased, hear ye Him."  The
messenger ("a voice") delivered the message.  Simple, huh?
God be with you,
Ray

Hope this helps,

Marques

daywalker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »

If they heard God's voice, then Christ is a liar...

I don't believe Christ lies.

Daywalker  8)

Thanks,

Shaine

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:08:14 AM »

New friend Shaine,

Helpful comments from Ray, Marques and others.
Years ago we discussed this situation and asked ourselves what exactly "a voice" consisted of.

Does my hearing a voice require that some force vibrates the air near my ears and convey that vibration into my ear drum?  Or perhaps can God or His messenger cause me to hear a word softly spoken directly in my mind?  Perhaps it is similar to seeing a vision in my mind when there is nothing visible to those standing nearby.

God certainly knows how to do this.

Old Indiana Bob

E. Woods

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »

New friend Shaine,

Helpful comments from Ray, Marques and others.
Years ago we discussed this situation and asked ourselves what exactly "a voice" consisted of.

Does my hearing a voice require that some force vibrates the air near my ears and convey that vibration into my ear drum?  Or perhaps can God or His messenger cause me to hear a word softly spoken directly in my mind?  Perhaps it is similar to seeing a vision in my mind when there is nothing visible to those standing nearby.

God certainly knows how to do this.

Old Indiana Bob

Hello Bob.
   Very good,   My thoughts too.

E.J.W.

shaine

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »

Thanks for the insight. I will think about these things.

-Shaine

gmik

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »

Back in my "Babylonian days" the people I hung around w/ were always saying "God told me this" or "God told me that". or worse yet..."So I said, andthen God said...and I said back..." Unbelievable!!! Yet,  I was always so bummed that I never HEARD God say anything to me even tho I was suspicious that God talked to them like that.

But His working in and thru my life was very evident and I soon realized God was always w/ me and loved me.  I didn't need to HEAR an audible voice like those pretenders said!

noeleena

• live life. love life.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »

Hi...
 Can the Lord or the holy spirit speak through some one . & that person does not have any idear of what he / she has said . before or after . & to see the words writen in front of them . & is then able to speak them yet speaks with the power thats been given to do so. meaning . the serpent can do the same thing & does .  i am talking about a person who is in tune with the Lord .yet that person would not wont to do that on there own . or be in the lime  light . really would be quiet  & not say a thing .
   yet has been given to do so .   
     & if its right even a donky has been used . or the serpent . thats some what different . & is not a part of my first ?  just a after thought .
 ...noeleena...

Roy Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

With God all things are possible.

Roy

kenny

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »

Thanks,

Shaine
Shaine

Exo 19:3 Moses, he ascended to the One, Elohim. Then Yahweh called to him from the mountain, saying: Thus shall you say to the house of Jacob and tell to the sons of Israel,
Exo 19:4 You have seen what I did to the Egyptians when I bore you on vultures' wings and brought you to Myself.
Exo 19:5 Now, if you shall hearken, yea hearken to My voice and observe My covenant then you will become Mine, a special possession, above all the peoples, for Mine is all the earth.
Exo 19:6 As for you, you shall become Mine, a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the sons of Israel.(CLV)

Num 7:89 Whenever Moses came into the tent of appointment to speak with Him then he would hear the voice of Yahweh speaking to him above the propitiatory shelter which was on the coffer of the testimony; it was from between the two cherubim that He spoke to him.(CLV)

Deu 4:12 and Yahweh spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you were hearing the sound of words, yet you were not seeing a physical representation, nothing except a voice.(CLV)

Deu 4:36 From the heavens He let you hear His voice, to discipline you, and on the earth He showed you His great fire, and you heard His words from the midst of the fire.(CLV)

2Pe 1:17 For He got from God, the Father, the honor and glory of the voice, being carried to Him in such a way by the Glory Magnifical: "This is My Son, the Beloved, in Whom I delight!"(CLV)

2Pe 1:18 And this voice we hear being carried out of heaven, being together with Him in the holy mountain."(CLV)

I was Looking at the very same scripture and trying to get a handle on what Ray says about the voice of God and the messengers voices but these sound like it is refering to the direct voice of God.

Roy Martin

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »

To hear or heard is an audible sound if used literally. Figuratively I can say that I have heard God, but literally I had a spiritual contact unidentified that puts the words in my mind like a thought. I know it came from God but don't know who delivered it. In the case with Moses, he said he heard the voice of God, and the voice said ,"I am the God of your father-the God of Abraham,the God of Isac, and the God of Jacob. The voice identified itself as God, I Am Who I Am. Jesus said that no one has ever heard the voice of God; a literal statement. Moses said he heard; a figurative statement.
 It really doesn't matter to me who the messenger is of which I hear (figurative) because I know its from God, and I'm just thankful to no end that He is keeping in touch with me. ;D
Roy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:44:12 AM by Roy Martin »

kenny

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

To hear or heard is an audible sound if used literally. Figuratively I can say that I have heard God, but literally I had a spiritual contact unidentified that puts the words in my mind like a thought. I know it came from God but don't know who delivered it. In the case with Moses, he said he heard the voice of God, and the voice said ,"I am the God of your father-the God of Abraham,the God of Isac, and the God of Jacob. The voice identified itself as God, I Am Who I Am. Jesus said that no one has ever heard the voice of God; a literal statement. Moses said he heard; a figurative statement.

Roy

I hear you Brother, everyday is a new day to search out the scriptures.

eggi

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »

Great thread! This touches on something i thought about lately: seeing and hearing angels or messengers as they should be called. Don't want to hijack this thread, but are these messenger actual personalities, or are they just mediums for messages from God? God bless you all.
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Marky Mark

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »

Great thread! This touches on something i thought about lately: seeing and hearing angels or messengers as they should be called. Don't want to hijack this thread, but are these messenger actual personalities, or are they just mediums for messages from God? God bless you all.

Hi eggi.

Here is an email reply from Ray.Hope it helps.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2600.0.html

Dear Brenda:
ALL of God's created celestial beings are "messengers."  Angel means messenger. From that Perspective, Jesus is a Messenger (Mal. 3:1-2).  If these messengers are bad, we might refer to them as devils, demons, OR adversaries, but they are STILL MESSENGERS.

Peace...Mark

Roy Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »

Two days ago I looked in the mirror as I do everyday and a voice said," man why don't you get rid of that gray hair on your head and beard" I said OK. I went to wally world and got some of that Just for me men stuff and put it on my head and beard and man did I look 10 years younger. I just couldn't keep from going back to the mirror. A few hours later and my head and face starts to get hot and itchy. Today it feels like a thousand chiggers and ticks are in my head and beard. I shaved the beard which gave me some relief but I'm not going to shave my head. Well anyway, that's one voice I shouldn't have listened to. It just had to be one of those Satan guys; of this I have no doubt, and I know they are laughing because I can hear them.
Scratch scratch. >:(
 This story will be funny to some and that's OK, but it also has a serious side concerning voices and thoughts that seem to have the same meaning figuratively.
Roy  
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:08:19 PM by Roy Martin »

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »

Jesus the Son is the God of the Old Testament.  He is Jehovah.  He said, recorded in the Gospel of John:

Joh 5:36  But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
Joh 5:37  And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
Joh 5:38  And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
Joh 5:39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Be careful not to say that nobody has heard the voice of God.  The ones listening that very day heard the voice of God.  And it said, "Ye have neither heard HIS voice at any time, nor seen HIS shape..."  And we haven't.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:16:32 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

firefly77

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »

Roy,
I have to color my hair as well; the itching usually lasts for 3 to 4 days and is just a little bit of an allergy to the chemicals. As long as you don't break out in a rash, I would not worry about it too much. You can thoroughly shampoo your hair right after the coloring procedure; it reduces the itch.
At least now you know what some of us women have to go through  :P.

Angie

shaine

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »

This whole issue, for me, has been one I have struggled with. I have stopped trying to hear "that voice" in my head because a couple of years ago I kept a prayer journal where I would try and have a conversation with God. Eventually, though, it got to a point where it became very sinister to me, almost like I was hearing in my head the voice of my own carnal mind(which now I am sure that it was). So I stopped with that and pretty much ever since have looked to other ways of hearing from God, like basically answered prayers or seeing an answer for something in the scriptures. 

Of one thing I am certain,though, is that God does communicate with us in one way or another.  :)

gmik

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »

Yup!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.