bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Orion and the Pleiades constellations  (Read 16367 times)

orion77

Orion and the Pleiades constellations
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:25:52 AM »

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about why God has mentioned these constellations on three different occasions?  Here are the verses.

(Job 9:9)  who made the Bear, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south;

(Job 9:10)  who is doing great things past finding out; yea, marvelous things without number?

(Job 38:31)  Can you bind the bands of the Pleiades, or loosen the cords of Orion?

(Job 38:32)  Can you bring out the constellations in their season; or can you guide the Bear with its sons?

(Amo 5:6)  Seek Jehovah, and live, that He not break out like a fire on the house of Joseph, and consume, and no one is putting it out for Bethel.

(Amo 5:7)  He abandoned those who turn justice and righteousness into wormwood on the earth.

(Amo 5:8)  He who created the Pleiades and Orion, and turns the deep darkness into the morning, and He darkened the day into night; who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the face of the earth, Jehovah is His name;

Also, in the very beginning, when God created the heavens He said this:

(Gen 1:14)  And God said, Let luminaries be in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.

H226
àåú
'ôth
oth
Probably from H225 (in the sense of appearing); a signal (literally or figuratively), as a flag, beacon, monument, omen, prodigy, evidence, etc.: - mark, miracle, (en-) sign, token.

In the beginning God has set them as a signal, beacon, evidence towards a truth.  They should bear witness, a sign, to the Christ.  They should point to Him, not to worship the stars, but who they signify or point to.

Just wondering if anyone has any input about these constellations and verses.  Thanks.

God bless,

Gary

gmik

Orion & Pleiades.....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:08:33 AM »

I hope euty does.  Orion is my favorite constellation in the Feb. sky.

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:16:07 AM »

Heres what I pulled Gary,

Think it signifies something?

Pleiades, a constellation of "seven stars" :D

Peace

Daniel

orion77

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:38:40 AM »

Orion, its name originally, from the Akkadian root, means a "coming light".  Not only that, but the names of the stars themselves are interesting.  God let Adam name the animals of the earth, but God Himself named the stars and the meaning of these names are interesting.

I read a book years ago from an astronomer, who himself was an atheist, but even he said in his book, that if there was a higher power and wanted to communicate to us, it would be through Orion.

I will admit, I am not putting all my cards on the table, right now, just curious if anyone else has any insight.

God bless,

Gary

orion77

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:47:04 AM »

Here is a good link, click on the thumbnails to enlarge.  Look for Orion, Hyades and the Pleiades.

http://www.davidmalin.com/fujii/source/af3-02_72.html

Enjoy,

Gary

Andy_MI

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:53:33 AM »

Hi orion77,

I bought a book years ago by E. W. Bullinger called The Witness Of The Stars. Your post made me dig it out. There's information on all the signs of the zodiac and many constellations. I did a google search and found the whole book online and here's the link:

http://philologos.org/__eb-tws/

It's an excellent read if you're into this kind of stuff.

Hope this helps,

Andy

orion77

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:53 AM »

Thank you, Andy.  I am aware of Bullinger and his book.  Have read many books on this subject, and the majority say there is something to Orion.  Just curious to see if others are interested in this.  Thanks for the link, been a while since reading his works.

God bless,

Gary

One of the stars in Orion is Rigel, which means the foot that crusheth, and is the seventh brightest star in the heavens.

worm

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »

J Preston Eby talks a lot about the signs and meanings of the constellations in his "The Heavens declare" series...fascinating stuff! 8)

http://www.hisremnant.org/eby/articles/kingdom/heavensindex.html

knuckle

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 09:13:30 AM »

Hi all--------

I believe that.....

the true zodiac is the gospel recorded in the stars

the great pyramid is the gospel recorded in stone

and when we figure out the human genome we will find that "junk dna" is the gospel written in us

much love--------knuckle

eutychus

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 11:05:29 AM »

Quote from: knuckle
Hi all--------

I believe that.....

the true zodiac is the gospel recorded in the stars

the great pyramid is the gospel recorded in stone

and when we figure out the human genome we will find that "junk dna" is the gospel written in us

much love--------knuckle

greetings.
what do you mean true zodiac?

the grouping of stars into constellations have changed during the history of man. Seiss and Bullinger have deleted 3 constellations named by Ptolemy in the Almagest and replaced them with three others to better fit their theory. Also different names and figures are seen by different tribes of people. For example, the Maya Indians have very different views of the constellations. For the origin of the zodiac see The Great Copernicus Chase by Owen Gingerich (1992, 7-12).

the position of stars are changing. The stars are slowing moving. Today’s North Star was not at the North Pole at the time of Christ. Also there is the procession of the constellations so that some that were seen in ancient times are not seen today.

what about the people in the Southern hemisphere? Are they without the gospel because they can not see all the same constellations in the North? Does God only love the people in the Northern hemisphere? Can one truly understand the gospel by just looking at the stars?

also  for what it is worth the babylonians perverted the study of astrology.

this is not to say there is anything wrong with the study of stars, but only
GOD knows because he alone is not bound by time or space.

i personal love looking at the stars, only to see the handy work of GOD.

billions and billions and billions ;-]

there is much to this disscussion though, i i wouldnt mind hearing other
opinions.

peace
chuckt
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0601/pleiades_gendler_big.jpg

orion77

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:35:14 AM »

Are there other constellations mentioned in the bible?  Is there a significance why Orion and the Pleiades are mentioned three times?  Seek Him who made the Pleiades; also bands and cords mentioned in those verses.  

Chuckt, I hear ya.  How can one look at the stars, the billions of them and not see God.  I live in a rural area, but I feel for people raised in the cities, who have never been able to enjoy His majesty.  

(Psa 19:1)  To the chief musician. A Psalm of David. The heavens are recounting the glory of God, and the expanse proclaiming His handiwork.

(Psa 19:2)  Day by day they pour forth speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.

(Psa 19:3)  There is no speech, nor are there words where their voice is not heard.

God bless,

Gary

eutychus

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »

Quote from: orion77
Are there other constellations mentioned in the bible?  Is there a significance why Orion and the Pleiades are mentioned three times?  Seek Him who made the Pleiades; also bands and cords mentioned in those verses.  

not sure of the significance as of now, sounds like a good study.

what about you? you got anything???

mercie

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »

a starting point . :?:  :idea:

7 stars of Orion ( future light) in contrast to the seven Churches mentioned in Revelation Being One Church, Seven alway returns to One.

I did a partial  study some time ago, but lost it to a virus. :cry:

Andy_MI

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 12:18:13 PM »

Quote from: eutychus

what about the people in the Southern hemisphere? Are they without the gospel because they can not see all the same constellations in the North? Does God only love the people in the Northern hemisphere? Can one truly understand the gospel by just looking at the stars?

Hi euty,

This came to mind after reading your post. I'm quoting from Bullinger's book,

1. CRUX (The Cross)
The cross endured

6. Crux (the Cross)

The Hebrew name was Adom, which means cutting off, as in Daniel 9:26 "After threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off." The last letter of the Hebrew alphabet was called Tau, which was anciently made in the form of a cross. This letter is called Tau, and means a mark; especially a boundary mark, a limit or finish. And it is the last letter, which finishes the Hebrew alphabet to this day.

The Southern Cross was just visible in the latitude of Jerusalem at the time of the first coming of our Lord to die. Since then, through the gradual recession of the Polar Star, it has not been seen in northern latitudes. It gradually disappeared and became invisible at Jerusalem when the Real Sacrifice was offered there; and tradition, which preserved its memory, assured travellers that if they could go far enough south it would be again seen. Dante sang of "the four stars never beheld but by the early race of men." It was not until the sixteenth century had dawned that missionaries and voyagers, doubling the Cape for the first time, and visiting the tropics and southern seas, brought back the news of "a wonderful cross more glorious than all the constellations of the heavens."

It is a small asterism, containing only about five stars, viz., one of the 1st magnitude, two of the 2nd, one of the 3rd, and one of the 4th. Four of these are in the form of a cross.

orion77

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »

Quote from: eutychus
Quote from: orion77

not sure of the significance as of now, sounds like a good study.

what about you? you got anything???

Say God has put a sign in the stars, that were there before Adam and Eve, the great flood, the exodus from Egypt, the ministry of Jesus, and now in a time He decides to let this be seen.  Something that bears witness towards Jesus, in the only things He said to do in His remembrance.  Would that be interesting or taken as heretical?

Gary

eutychus

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 12:27:42 PM »

andy,
thanks very interesting.

God's ways are awsome.

i might just have to read more on this stuff :P

peace
chuck

buddyjc

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:  (Gen. 1:14)

ciy

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 12:40:52 PM »

This is kind of along these same lines.  Many historians believe that Jesus was actually born in September.  There is much evidence to support it.  Interestingly that is the zodiac sing of Virgo which is the sign of the virgin.  Just another way of God to give us a sign?
CIY

knuckle

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 06:24:04 PM »

hi all---------

take a look at  this and tell me what you think-----Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

What do you think Paul is talking about in verse 23?

much love--------knuckle

mercie

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »

Quote from: knuckle
hi all---------

take a look at  this and tell me what you think-----Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Rom 1:22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

What do you think Paul is talking about in verse 23?

Hi Knuckle

Such a controversial passage of Scripture.

What are vain imaginations? the thoughts of Men.

1Ch 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Pro 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief

compare verse , word and phrase elsewhere with in scripture along with Normal study.

ALL things unclean.?

Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:  

Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.  

Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat

Could it be the scriptues you mentioned  align to this.

1Cr 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

UNTIL?

Act 26:18 To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Spiritual words Knuckle To be seen with Spiritual eyes maybe?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.