bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Spirit, the Helper  (Read 12074 times)

mharrell08

Re: Holy Spirit, the Helper
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »

If The Holy Spirit dwells in us, then why do we have to turn to man? I'm not referring to the bible of which is truth, but a mystery that only the Holy Spirit can reveal to us. Its all of mans teachings, even the scriptures that should lead us to that place where we want nothing less than the Holy Spirit to be our teacher. I am in no way putting any mans teachings down because I know that God uses everything to draw us to Him. I know He teaches us truth through men, but there is something in all mens teachings that draws us and connects us with the Holy Spirit to have that one on one, and not one on two.

1 Cor 1:19-21  For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1 Cor 3:5-9  Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

Roy, the Holy Spirit is what opens up your understanding of God's truths, through whatever minister He is using...God gives the increase, not any man's teaching.

I have a lot of scriptures to read about The Holy Spirit when it came upon someone. In most cases it was something very supernatural. I have had a couple of overwhelming feelings of which I have no doubt was the Holy Spirit letting me know its presence. I know that all is of God and that He leads us here and there, and that His word can show up in many places and in and through people. I know His word is here, and in Ray, and in all of us. The disciples walked with Jesus about 3 years and in an instant got truth. Some of us have been walking with Him 1-40 years yet only have a little of the truth of which we have to study, ask people, and listen to preachers that mislead us. Some of us reach complete burnout looking for understanding and truth. I speak for myself when I say that all of this leads me to that point of saying, "God I have had enough of this, where is the Helper that you promised"?

Being led by the Spirit is definitely from God, but it is not always revealed by a 'rushing wind' in the scriptures. The Lord tells us we will know them (whether of God or of Satan) by their works/fruit [Matt 7:14-20]. You know from what comes OUT of them, not what they may claim came UNTO them.

Little by little He gives me some of it, and it is good for awhile then back on the merry go round then back to God. My question is, was the Holy Spirit promised to just the disciples? My heart says no, but I have never received it as they and all of those on the day of Pentecost. What is the promise for if we still have to turn to man for the truth, and in our case, just one man Ray?. Please don't anyone get beside themselves and think that that is a put down, because its not in any way, I assure you its a positive and legitimate statement and question. The verses do read as if they were just for the disciples, but it just doesn't feel right. I just don't know, but I have to know the truth.
 (The Spirit of Truth whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him.)
Peace
Roy

No, the Holy Spirit was not promised to 'only' the disciples who physically walked with Christ. Again, you have the Spirit indwelling in you in the same measure as the good fruit/works you produce.

It takes the Spirit of God to turn anyone from the lies of Satan to believe that God is LOVE.

It takes the Spirit of God to turn anyone to believe that God will save all humanity.

It takes the Spirit of God to turn anyone from the fable of 'free will' and understand that it is the HEART that causes us to will and to do...God either softens or hardens our heart for His Will and Purpose. [Rom 9:18, Phil 2:13]

Etc, Etc...

As I said, I'm just now getting into this study. There is much to read about this topic.
 Maybe in this same topic we can discuss the lieing spirit that God sends to the pastors and the people that are deceived.
These pastors, or at least most of them think they are lead by the Holy Spirit. We confront them and its as if we are butting heads with God Himself. In fact we are doing just that because it is God that blinded them with this deceiving spirit.

No Roy, we are not butting heads with God Himself, seeing that HE is the very one who sends His ministers to speak His truth:

Rom 10:13-17  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

How is it 'beautiful' to proclaim the gospel if we are simply butting heads with God? Again, God gives the increase in growing His vineyard...our position is only to water & plant, not fall into vanity that we could do it better or that it is a futile exercise.

To them it feels right according to the spirit they have in them, just as it feels right to us with the truth that we believe, yet we use to believe as they did.

You're right Roy, we did USED TO believe as they did, but then a change happens in our lives:

Eph 2:2-10  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace [grace - teaching us to live Godly and righteous (Titus 2:11-12)] are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Is it possible that the whole world is mislead in some things? We wouldn't know it if we were if God sent the spirit to deceive us.
 All of this will tie in together of what I'm searching for.

The whole world is deceived [Rev 12:9] by that wicked spirit, but the Elect will not be deceived [Matt 24:24, Mark 13:22]. When we rely on anything but the Spirit of God, we'll never be sure of anything. That's what faith does and why God gives it to us...to BELIEVE what He says, with conviction.

Heb 11:1  Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen [ASV]

Sorry to hear about your exam...I take exams to further myself in my field of work and get frustrated if I fall short.

Hope any of this helps,

Marques

Roy Martin

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Yes Marques, very helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to bring all of these scriptures into view of this topic. It was nice the way you addressed each one of my questions. I will of course re-read them, and all replies; to put into perspective to my understanding. Have a great day.

Roy

E. Woods

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »

Hello EJW,
I hear what your saying and understand, but I have to make sure you aren't misunderstanding my post.
 I'm not putting teachers down in no way. All of the disciples were teachers. Ray is a teacher. All of us that are parents are teachers. I am a teacher to my wife, and she is a teacher to me. We are all members of the body. I do not ever put mans word before Gods, but man wrote Gods word, and then men teach what they believe what the Spirit has shown them about Gods word. We believe it or not, but its up to the Spirit to discern if its right or wrong. Sometimes I don't know which Spirit to listen to. I have to rely on the Holy Spirit and trust that I will be lead in the right direction. I was lead to Babylon thinking it was truth and all of God of which it was because the flesh doesn't go looking for God. Nothing could have opened my eyes or called me out of Babylon except for the Holy Spirit, and it lead me here. I don't know that this is where it will keep me, but here I am and here you are. While I'm here, I will learn all I can that the Spirit wants me to know, learn, and understand.

Peace to You
Roy

Roy, Thanks for your reply.
I have a question,

When I was a young man and wanted to get right with God, I started going to the Pentecostal church,
( the way I was raised )   After much study I didn't believe they was the true church.
   And I heard the radio church of God and was drawn to it and became a member for several years.
Then a few years ago I was drawn to the forum. and through much study I have found there is a few
incorrect things with all of these. ( and have proof )

Have you heard of Joyce Myer ?

I have heard her say, " God spoke to my heart " " The Holy Spirit spoke to me "  which I think is a LIE.

Now for my question.  How do you know when the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something?

There is a lot of good people out there that do good, and some will say the Holy Spirit told me to
do this or that. and it turned out to be a good thing.  I Don't think the Holy Spirit is telling the people
in Babylon any thing.

Peace to you Be Happy.
      EJW

mharrell08

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »

Now for my question.  How do you know when the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something?

There is a lot of good people out there that do good, and some will say the Holy Spirit told me to
do this or that. and it turned out to be a good thing.  I Don't think the Holy Spirit is telling the people
in Babylon any thing.

Peace to you Be Happy.
      EJW

We are to know what the Holy Spirit is saying to us by comparing spiritual with spiritual. By comparing what the Holy Spirit leads us to do compared to the Word of God. There should be a spiritual match, both the scriptures and the Holy Spirit lead us into righteousness. They will not contradict one another.

2 Tim 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Titus 2:11-12  The grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

1 Cor 2:12-13  We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Marky Mark

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

Now for my question.  How do you know when the Holy Spirit is trying to tell you something?

Just as Marques stated...
By comparing what the Holy Spirit leads us to do compared to the Word of God

A few more verse...:)  Hope this helps some.

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

John 15:26 "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

1 John 4:6 We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

John 14: 15“If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever"ages"/"eons."— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

Peace...Mark
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:17:09 PM by Marky Mark »

Vangie

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »

Great scriptures Mark and Marques.  Thank you.

Kat

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

Rom 1:20  For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

We have all of nature around us as a witness that there is a creator and no need for a word spoken or written to verify that.  The fact that this world is here should be a clear indication that God exist. 

Now when the Holy Spirit is given to a person it is to teach them beyond the superfical and into "the deep things of God." 

1Co 2:10  But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
v. 11  For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.

When your eyes are opened to the truth, it's like the light bulb is turned on in the darkness.  The Holy Spirit takes us far beyond the things that can be understood on our own, whether in study or by meditation. 

John 14:26  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Now as a teacher the Holy Spirit is giving the understanding needed to prepare those of the Elect to rule with Christ.  This training is done thought everything that happens in life, it's all a lesson.  But we have all of these Scriptures preserved down through the centuries that reveal the words of the very Apostles, which are a priceless help in our learning.  This is the way that God designed it to be, people put down in a physical written form their very own thoughts and in this way we have their exact thoughts (in the original anyway) right now to study.  In this way God has provided the Scriptures to us and in this way we now can learn from Paul and the other Apostles themselves.  But it requires our participation, we must read and study what is provided.

2Ti 2:15  Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

So we see our reading and studying is good, because it requires not only the desire to know this truth, but our active participation.  Is this the way we "show ourself approved unto God,"  by putting forth the effort ourself and not just waiting on Him to zap it in our minds?  I think it requires a deligent effort every day of prayer, meditation and study... and living it of course.  When the Holy Spirit is indwelling it will guide you and in this way we "work out your own salvation."

Php 2:12  Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
v. 13  for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.