bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A extraordinary day with Calvin and Steve in the presence of God  (Read 4836 times)

Roy Martin

I needed a helper yesterday to install 30 flats of flowers for a regular good paying customer. God led me to a place that houses men struggling with drug and alcohol addictions, and is homeless. I offered  $100.00 for  3-4 hours of easy work. I thought I was getting only one, but as we headed to the truck another man caught up to us, and said,” What a wonderful day to work”. I stopped and asked,” are both of you going? I saw a look in the second man as he stopped and said,” I’m sorry, if you need just one then that’s OK. I said,” let me think.” I couldn’t say no. I said, OK I’ll pay each of you $100.00. They were in their late 40s – 50s, a clean appearance with rough edges. I wondered what kind of work they would do. We barely got a block away when one of them mentioned God, and then shortly after the other mentioned Sundays church service. Well don’t you know a door of opportunity flew wide open for me to start sharing? We were on our way to pick up flowers. I said all I could in that short time. Calvin was the quiet one with a very humble disposition. Steve had a very good memory of scriptures.
 I knew these men were carrying some heavy loads, and had a hard life struggling to leave it behind. I quickly spoke of no free will, God saving all, Lake of fire, God is responsible, and in charge of everything. Well Steve knew every scripture that applied to the things I was saying. I shared one of my favorite testimonies with them while we were still in my truck. It was my plan to lay everything out and leave them to do the work, but that’s not how it turned out. I’ll get back to that later. Somewhere in our talks I mentioned that I’m not good at quoting scripture, although I’ve read and studied them from front to back, and back to front, that my part of the body seems to be more in my testimonies of which someone always can apply the appropriate scriptures to them. Steve gave me a testimony that was very touching. He was on his way to an AA meeting walking on the road thinking of how they teach that once an alcoholic always one. He was thinking about God and being cursed with his addiction that just didn’t seem right that he was stuck with this mind set. He saw a piece of paper in the tall grass 30-40 feet away that caught his attention. The wind was blowing the opposite direction, but the paper was moving a little at a time in his direction. He thought, is this a message from God. He had been wanting to hear something from God, and just maybe this was it, but what could it be. Finally the paper stopped a few feet in front of him. It was folded up. He picked it up. At that point he withdrew it from his front pocked and held it in front of me to show me what it was. The first word I could see that he saw was Jesus. He said he knew right then that it was the message he had been seeking. He opened it up and the words were in bold print, Jesus Makes All Things New.  I knew right then and there that this was an extraordinary day when I saw a look in Steve’s eyes as he said,” he was not an alcoholic, that Jesus was making him new. Calvin commented that he had recently been blessed with new furniture. That’s when I found out he was just visiting the facility, that he had just moved out. I’ll get back to that in a moment.
 I bought burgers for lunch, we sat in the court yard and talked more about God. Their interest in the things I was telling them was very refreshing to say the least. Steve wanted something to read. I told them this was not a day of coincidence. They both agreed. We were all having a very blessed day in deed. I went home and printed out 30 pages of LOF for Steve plus 30 more pages of scriptures that pastors despise and will never teach.
 The work was finished. I gave each one of them a $100 dollar bill. They thanked me and told me how good of a day it has been for them but I told them not to thank me, this is Gods money and Gods day. The blessing was mine to get to meet and spend a day in fellowship with them and God. I have never seen more grateful men in my life, but I was beyond grateful almost beyond description.
 We arrived at the place I picked them up and started again with thanking them when Calvin told me he needed to be dropped off at his apartment.
 I gave Steve my card and told him to call me anytime if just to talk and fellowship and that I’ll give him more to read. As I was driving Calvin home he started to talk about God blessing him with the furniture and apartment. We got there. He wanted me to come in to see his new furniture of which he had never had in his life. I walked in to a very small apartment maybe 250 sq. ft. It was nice furniture. He started telling me how he had lived in an abandoned house for 12 years thinking this was all he would ever have, a drug addict, hungry, cold and hot. He finally cried out to God for a new life with hope. He now has disability, shelter with new furniture, food and hopes that he never thought possible. He continued sharing things about his past, and how God has blessed him. I was so choked up that it was hard for me to speak. My last words to him were, “I see with my eyes and heart that God is doing a good work in you, and he will finish it, but be prepared for bumps in the road that will try to bring you down. Call me anytime day or night if things become unbearable. I don’t want to lose touch with you. Never forget where you have been, and see where you are now, always seeking comfort in God. You have the presence of God in your countenance. Cling to it, fight for it.
 This mans story tore me up with sorrow and joy in so many ways, I just can’t describe it. Never have I met a man so humble.
 The day kept rolling in my thoughts wondering what it was about. I was choked up all the way home. I kept thanking God for the day for it was not an ordinary day for all three of us. My plans to leave them for the day was not in Gods plan. It was my plans to hire one man, spend only $100.00. Two men, $200.00. Three hours of work that was beyond description. What was this day about? I know it wasn’t about just one thing.
 I look forward to another day or a phone call from Steve wanting more of Ray’s writings.
 Now I want to have more money just to share it with people like Steve and Calvin.
 This story is long with some things left out, but you got the most important parts. Not one word through out the day was about anything but God, except for words about work and flowers.
This story isn’t for me to keep to myself. Its for all of us. Its just my part of the body according to Gods will.
 A good day to all of you.

Peace
Roy

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:22:36 PM by Roy Martin »

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: A extraordinary day with Calvin and Steve in the presence of God
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »

Wow Roy!!

What a tremendous blessing and testimony.  You went out to help someone else in a small way and in return God blessed you in a very special way.  And best of all you know that this was His hand in action.

lauriellen

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »

Col 2:2  That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

beautiful! thanks for posting that....=)

Ninny

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »

Thank you, Roy, that was beautiful! I hope you have many more of these times of sharing!!
Kathy :)

Kat

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »

Hi Roy,

I think God has blessed you with a little taste of the kingdom in this "extraordinary day." Thanks for sharing.

Mic 4:1 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days
       That the mountain of the LORD's house
       Shall be established on the top of the mountains,
       And shall be exalted above the hills;
       And peoples shall flow to it.
v. 2  Many nations shall come and say,
       "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
       To the house of the God of Jacob;
       He will teach us His ways,
       And we shall walk in His paths."
       For out of Zion the law shall go forth,
       And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
v. 3  He shall judge between many peoples,
       And rebuke strong nations afar off;
       They shall beat their swords into plowshares,
       And their spears into pruning hooks;
       Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
       Neither shall they learn war anymore.
v. 4  But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree,
       And no one shall make them afraid;
       For the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken.
v. 5  For all people walk each in the name of his god,
       But we will walk in the name of the LORD our God
       Forever and ever.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pini56

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:52 AM »

Hi Roy,

That's the kind of testimony that fills my heart with joy.

Here's a scripture that ties in: 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Revelation 12:11. KJV.

And another one: 16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke with each other, and the Lord listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him. 17 “They will be my people,” says the Lord Almighty. “On the day when I act, they will be my own special treasure. I will spare them as a father spares an obedient and dutiful child. 18 Then you will again see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not. Malachi 3:16-18. NLT.

May God's presence fill your heart and give you peace. Regards, Geoff.

Ellie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »

Such a gift Roy.....thank you for sharing this......

Roy Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

A day I won't soon forget. I'm still dwelling, and thanking God for it.
It would be more than wonderful if we could all have days like that everyday, or at least once a week. Its definitely food to keep one nourished for awhile.

Peace
Roy

Marlene

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »

What, a awesome day you had Roy. It was nice to hear your storyand testimony.

In His Love,
Marlene

Samson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »

Hello Roy,

Thankyou for the wonderfull experience you had the other day, it's upbuilding, to say the least. Encountering the negative experiences we receive in Life helps us to appreciate ones like this. And yes, you have a good ability to relay Testimonies, it's definitely your fortay. Eventually, I would like to write my Life's Testimony, but I have to be in the mood.  ;)

Thanks Again, Samson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.