bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper translation: stubbornness , idolatry,and witchcraft.  (Read 5579 times)

gallenwalsh

Proper translation: stubbornness , idolatry,and witchcraft.
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

1st Samuel 15:23 Stubbornness is as idolatry and witchcraft. I've read a few translations but I'm not exactly sure what this means. I get the idolatry part,self will, making yourself an idol, but how does that translate into witchcraft ?I know the king was being disobedient to god and he knew in advance that a witchcraft was forbidden and worthy of death, and did it any way. The translation implies that stubbornness is the same as witchcraft, just don't get that.

bunnylife

Re: Proper translation: stubbornness , idolatry,and witchcraft.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »

I Samuel 15:23(CLV) for a sin of divination [is] rebellion, and iniquity and teraphim [is] stubbornness; because you have rejected the word of Yahweh, He also does reject you from [being] king..

(Rotherham)  For, as the sin of divination, is, rebelliousness,—and, as transgression with household gods, is, stubbornness,—Because thou hast rejected the word of Yahweh, therefore hath he rejected thee from being king.

You can not let scripture be its own interpretation. You need to have two scriptures as witness. I was looking for spiritual match. I am not sure this is correct.

divination (from Latin divinare "to foresee, to be inspired by a god) is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of a standardized process or ritual

I first looked up the meaning as I knew it did not mean witchcraft. There are different Hebrew words. It looks like they are going outside of God. They are being inspired by a false spirit or carnal by using rituals. To foresee is that not like prophecy as in false prophets. Do we have that today? Of course. Babylonian church

Jer 17:23  But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction. Deu 31:27  For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD; and how much more after my death?

Heb 4:7  Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. Heb 4:11  Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. G543

G543
ἀπείθεια
apeitheia
ap-i'-thi-ah
From G545; disbelief (obstinate and rebellious): - disobedience, unbelief.

Does the Babylon want to receive instruction or hear the truth? No. Their eyes are blinded by God because He harden their hearts to believe a lie in fables, man-made traditions and doctrines. Those called and not chosen will not be kings unto the Father and Son. They worship idols, use divination and are in rebellion as they despise the Word of God.  

2Th 2:10  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Ti 4:4  And they shall turn away ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1Pe 2:9  But ye a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
(CLV)Rev 1:6 and makes us a kingdom and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and might for the eons of the eons! Amen!"

And it is only by the grace of God that I am here.

I hope this helps. There are others that can explain this better.

In His Love,
Bunni  :)

Edit this as the word "choose" was incorrect. I know that it is God that blind the eyes and opens. It is God that hardens the heart or soften the heart. We have no choice in any of this. Thank you, Arc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:16:09 PM by bunnylife »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.