bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you believe? Why do you believe it?  (Read 11297 times)

mharrell08

What do you believe? Why do you believe it?
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »

1 Pet 3:15  ...sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear

I thought of this in light of Astrapho's recent thread (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,10861.msg94464.html#msg94464) regarding discussing with someone her beliefs. What would we say if someone asks us what we believe? If they asked us WHY we believe what we do?

I think this can be a fun, informative thread. Let everyone get involved by answering this question. Just imagine if it is someone who simply wants to know what you believe and why. You can be as long-winded as you like or keep it short & sweet.

I think it can helpful to us as members and those who may 'stumble' upon the forum (stumble = 'All is of God'  ;D). It can help give light on different scriptures as well as the way we look on our salvation. Hopefully, everyone (I mean everyone), contributes...we've all answered this question many times so it shouldn't be too difficult.  :)

My Reason:

The 1st scriptures that the Lord opened my eyes to were the following:

1 Tim 2:3-4  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth

So many times when I've quoted the above, people 'assume' that I believe that God will save everyone 'anyway'. But that's not what the scriptures says at all. All will come into the knowledge of TRUTH...and who do we know is Truth?

John 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life...

The other scripture was this:

1 Tim 4:10  For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

As Ray teaches, this verse is 'book ended'. The 'especially' seals it...you can't have believers saved 'especially' if the rest of humanity, the unbelievers, are not saved. No, the believers are saved 'especially' or in special regards and the rest of the unbelieving humanity is saved regardless. It may not be in special regards, but I don't believe in salvation anyone will be complaining.  :D

Alright your turn,

Marques

Ninny

Re: What do you believe? Why do you believe it?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

Hi Marques!
You know not many of my friends much care about what I believe..one or two..and my family..ha! I spent so many years as a Seventh Day Adventist they are used to me being different! But what about someone else..who's NOT close to me?? hmm...I'm no stranger to having to explain myself to strangers! You know this is the truth..complete strangers come up to me in the grocery store and will say something about God or Jesus, the Lord or anything and will say, "What do you think about that?" Do I look like a walking preacher or something??heehee! I am looking forward to the day that someone asks me about my real true beliefs!! I hope I am studied up enough to give a good answer! we never know till that day comes!

The other day my son wanted to know why I didn't go to church with them..he said, "Mom, you'd better start thinking about going to hell." uuuhhh...I said, "I am NOT afraid of hell!" and he said, "Well, you'd better be!!" He knows very well exactly what I believe about hell and why..yet he felt compelled to remind me that I could go there!! How rude!!! Well, maybe the time has come to tell him again!!  ;D

You want to know what one of my favorite verses is?? Ok it is James 2:13 the first part is the one people like..judgment..eewww... terrible judgment..over those who show no mercy....tell it all please...BUT you know mercy..now there's a word for you!! Mercy dances a victory jig in the face of judgment!! ha!!! Oh yeah!! Let's tell the truth here! God's mercy is so much more compelling!! but nope we don't want to show mercy just want to make people fear the judgment part! I enjoy telling people about the extreme love of a merciful Father who only spanks his children to correct them never to pay them back eternally for not being good!!  :D
Kathy ;) :-*

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »

Hi Marques

Those two Scriptures are a great entry for anyone asking you what you believe and why. You have a personal testimony and no one and nothing can disput what you have experienced the Lord doing for you.

It is great to have a testimony like that. A gift from God Himself.

For me and to try to answer your question, I would have to say that it would depend on the level from which such a question were presented to me.  If a person was asking out of derision then I would prefer to answer them accordingly as in answering a fool as a fool or not at all. If posed from sincere interest, I would prefer to be gentle and communicate in a way that is understandable to them. This has in fact happened to me and the person who was responded to has since become my best friend here in SA and has enjoyed reading much of Rays expounding of Gods Word that has changed and enhanced her life in a wonderful way. I have seen this happen but ask me what I said....I don't recall. I just answered her a few questions and consoled her on a few false doctrinal fears that were distressing her, and pointed to Rays teachings.

I have been challenged in a combative or argumentative way on what I believe and why.  I have been inaccurately accused, taunted,  sneered against and tempted by obscure hearted deceivers. In the past I answered and found my time spent in thrashing about to resist the devils. Now I do not care to engage. I draw the line now if there is a spirit of hostile aggression. If in my future, if it is God's Plan for me to be confronted face to face by any more of them,  I would prefer to have the Scriptures reply as my authority, as our dear Astropho has shown us all by example.

I would prefer to mirror the Mind of Christ as is mirrored so clearly by example of Ray Smith. If answering a snake or white washed "septic tank"
 :D I too would like to have the Spirit of Christ to answer accordingly and call a spade a spade. I am presently learning to do that with clear recognition that God chastises only with and to a benevolent end.
Arc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:30:34 PM by Arcturus »

G. Driggs

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:03:29 PM »

Everything God does, He does out of love for all His creation. He sent His Son out of love to save the world, and love does not fail, Jesus WILL save the whole world because God is love.

Joh 3:16  God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.

1Co 13:8  Love never fails.

1Jn 4:8  The one who does not love has not known God. For God is love.

The belief in eternal torment is evil and out of fear, but Love has no fear, and Babylon only believes in Jesus because they dont want to go to a fabled hell of eternal torment.

2Ti 1:7  For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

1Jn 4:18  There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment. He who fears has not been perfected in love.

This is what I believe, and why do I believe it? Because God caused me to believe it through the "foolishness preaching" of L. Ray Smith.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those being lost, but to us being saved, it is the power of God.

1Co 1:21  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom did not know God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save those who believe.

G.Driggs

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »

I'll try to put it briefly, though I'm still not sure it will fit on a bumper-sticker.   ;)

I believe the whole universe belongs to God.  I don't believe any man has the right to question God about what He does with it.

I believe that God is Love and is creating humanity in His image.  I believe that judgement is love, just as comfort and peace are love.  I don't believe any man has the right to question God about how He creates His own creation in His Image.  He is the Potter, we are the clay.

I believe that Jesus saves, that He came to save, that He came to save sinners, that He is the Savior of the World.  I believe His power to save by Grace, to give faith, and to forgive sins by His own sacrifice are the means by which He creates humanity into His Image, and becomes the firstborn among many, make that MANY, MANY, brethren.  I don't believe that any man who denies that Jesus is willing or able to do or be all the Savior necessary for all humanity will see the kingdom before the lowest sinner.  Let God be true and every man (proven to be) a Liar.

I believe in the Resurrection of the Dead and the continuation of the grace, faith, and life of Christ doing His work of saving, conforming, creating.  I believe we all have a share in these things.

I believe a lot more things than these.  Some amplify, explain, or flesh-out these things.  But I don't believe anything that contradicts these things.

I'd give scripture, but you guys don't really need it, and anybody dead-set against believing in a Sovereign, Loving, Savior is not likely to be interested in what He has to say.  Still, will serve if asked.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:59:19 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »

Oh, wow! Dave! That was really beautiful...Simply stated, but quite eloquent..nice.. :) makes me smile a pleasant smile..
Kathy :)

Patrick

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »

What do I believe?
I believe in the Sovereignty of God!

What on Earth do I mean?
Sovereignty by definition means;
supreme excellence
supreme power
superlative in quality
possessed of supreme power.
God by definition means;
the supreme or ultimate reality
the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe
God is NOT a man, God IS spirit. I believe God has EVERYTHING under control!

Why do I believe that?
Because if He's not Sovereign, then He's NO God and were up the creek without a paddle!

It's at this point I'll figure out if this person is a student of the Word or not. They'll either start throwing Bible verses at me, most of the time about our "free will" to choose Christ and if we don't it's off to hell, or they won't and I'll go a little deeper into why I believe what I do.

daywalker

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »

What do you believe and why?

I've mediated on how I would answer this question a ton since discovering BT... of course, it's hard to give a 'set' answer, because depending on where you are, who you are speaking with, what thoughts are going through your head at the time, your answer can differ.

Examples:

If I'm pondering over the Christian Hell doctrine, I may say something to the effect of: "I believe in the God Who really is love, and doesn't just claim to be." -or- "I believe in the God Who forgives and heals and saves; not the one that tortures." ..if I should get a negative response about my unbelief in Hell, my response would be "My Father is not a monster that gets pleasure out of torturing helpless creatures!"

If I'm pondering over human free will, I may say.. "I believe in the God Who created everything and is in control of everything." -or- "I believe that everything happens for a reason, and God is that reason."

If I'm speaking with someone who is hurting or scared/worried about something and is desperate for hope, I'd tell them... "Don't worry. Your Father is aware of your trials. He hasn't forsaken you, and He never will."

On a side note: I am finally reading one of the books Ray has recommended... "Christ Triumphant" [barely started, on Chapter 2] and I must say it is truly amazing so far. It has opened another door to the realities of the hell doctrine and the damage it does to individuals and to society in general. It is making me meditate on it more, and causing me to feel so much emotion... for awhile I was sooo angry with the 'hell teachers' and part of me just wanted to yell at them for the lies they teach [i think in part because I was also angry that I had been previously deceived into believing such a doctrine..]... but now, I am starting to feel so much sympathy for them... to think that a person has become so corrupt that they would not just believe in such a doctrine because of lack of knowledge, but that they would actually take pleasure in it, and refuse to deny it even when they are faced with the evidence against it... that someone can honestly see no contradiction between "God is love" and 'God will torture His Creatures for eternity'.. Before I didn't understand it, but I didn't have the 'evidence' until I found BT.. But those who have seen and heard the evidence and reject it...??? It blows my mind! It scares me that a person can be that dark!

So many people have and continue to go to a church in search for 'hope' and what they receive leaves them more hopeless then before they entered...

Anyways, I didn't mean to ramble on.. guess I'm making up for the past few weeks of having little to say...

Daywalker  8)

Samson

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »

Great idea for a Thread Marques,

You mentioned those two Scriptures in 1Timothy chapters 2 & 4, I remember being exposed to them first, but the Talk Ray gives " Does All mean All " sealed it for me. Interestingly, we were listening to that this Morning, have listened to it many times. Ray said we couldn't rely on the Greek Word Pas(All) because even though we know it means everyone, Theologians despise the word of God and say it can mean " As many as" also and even though in most every other instance where the Greek Word Pas is used in Scripture they will say it means everyone, but the All being saved Scriptures they don't want it to mean everyone, so Ray says there's more than one way to skin a Cat and refers to 2 Peter. 3:9 that God Wills or Desires that none(Greek-no' te, oy) perish using a negative to prove a positive. If God wills that none perish, there can't be anyone in that category. That helped prove it for me. Also Isaiah. 46:9(paraphrasing it) Everything I desire will come to pass. So if God desires, wills, wants, wishes(Gk-Thelo), it has to happen. God is not some mere puny Human who desires something and can't always have it, He is God and everything he Wills has to come true, because God does not lie(Titus. 1:2). If he lied about these things, the Scripture would be broken and it would provide an apparent contradiction, but all Scripture is inspired of God(2Timothy. 3:16).

Always enjoy hearing that Audio, Samson.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:27:51 PM by Samson »

Phil3:10

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »

What do you believe and why do you believe.

This is so very simple to me, I believe in JESUS THE CHRIST and that HE is the SON OF THE LIVING GOD. I believe in the Holy Scriptures and that HIS elect will find HIS truths directed by HIS SPIRIT.
Phil3:10

OBrenda

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

Good Topic Marques,

Since most of my attempts have felt more like a tennis match, resulting in endless email links, and two inch photo copies trying to convince me in Hell, Free Will, the Trinity etc. etc. etc. I'm thinking about pretending I didn't hear the question. :P

Save one person,....I've yet to find the question posed to me as interested in my beliefs, so much as a insidious opening to express theirs.
It can be discouraging to realize most people have no interest in what I believe and am interested in.  It doesn't even have to be about spiritual things. That is a good clue as to how the conversation will progress.  I'm thankful to my Heavenly Father that I'm learning that to believe someone loves you, they have to show interst in you and not just crave attention from you.

And for my part, who am I that they should listen to me if I care nothing for the easier everyday matters of their life???

I'm thinking it maybe easier to give answer to what I don't believe:

I do not believe in Free Will, An Everlasting Tormenting Hell, The Trinity, The Rapture, That the Creator of all things is being defeated by Satan taking most of humanity with him.

I'll let you all know how that goes....
 ;D
Brenda

soberxp

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »

I believe in LORD jesus christ & GOD, and ghost stuff, cuz I have seen them. :P

P.S
to Vangie
ghost stuff means ghost stuff in bible. ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:52:27 PM by soberxp »

Vangie

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »

Brenda, you've got the edge!  ;)  I agree with your outlook. 

Soberexp, give up the ghosts.  They've gotta go. :) 

Roy Martin

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »

A good and wonderful question Marques.
 When or if we are ever asked this question, in most cases we aren't sitting behind our computers with e-sword or quick verse, or Rays material. We either have to have a good memory of the scriptures and Rays teachings of which most of us know that very few believe the scriptures and want to argue or prove us wrong. My memory isn't what it use to be so I have to go with how God has worked in me and changed me, yet I'm not completely without some verses and some of Rays teachings.
  I tell someone that I use to believe if there was a God that He was mean and cruel and more violent than any human could imagine. How could I change my mind about this and start believing in a God of love and compassion?
 What do I believe? I believe in a God of love and compassion, A Fatherly love that will not torture His children that He created for His purpose. I believe that God is in complete control. Always has been and always will be.I believe that Jesus came and died for all of us, and not just a few that on their own choose Him. I can go on and on with what I believe now that I use to not believe at all.
 Why do I believe it? This is where I share as many testimony's as I can with a passion that no one can argue or deny. I tell them about how God opened my eye's and called me out of Babylon. This is where I'm accused of listening to the wrong voice and am being deceived by Satan. I answer with, why then am I seeking God more than ever before? Why am I closer to God than ever before? God doesn't ask me for money to support His kingdom like the pastors that claim God will bless me for giving and supporting their man made temples.God is in my heart mind and soul. I don't need a man in his temple to give me what God is giving me since He called me to believe in Him. He first led me to Babylon to show me the lies and deceit. I didn't find God in a building. I felt Him in my heart. He called me, and chose me. I use to hate Him. How could I have changed on my own?
 Its exactly as you have stated Marques that its in how we live that speaks louder than words. Its how I use to live and believe to how I live and believe now for why I believe in what I believe, and it's God that did it, not me. No non believer can argue or try to prove a living testimony to be wrong. If someone is sincere in wanting to know the truth rather than debate, then all the above would be applied with Bibletruths web site.
 God has changed me, but not through yet. He will change all of us when the time comes.His love, His way, and time.
 When God blinds someone to see only black and white, then there is not one single scripture one can quote to them, or show them that will make them see the color of love and truth. To date no one has ever argued or tried to prove that my testimony's are just black and white. You haven't heard but just a few, but when I'm asked, I lay all of them out giving them no time to interrupt, and all they can do is nod their head and say yes there is no doubt that God has done these things in you, no if and or buts. Even the people I left behind in Babylon that know me personally can't and won't argue with my testimony's. They saw me come, they saw me fall many times, they saw God pick me up each time, and they know that I left them to their beliefs of which they will disagree with, but they see and hear a passion in me that I know is a seed that has to make them wonder between the lines of black and white. A seed can remain dormant for many years waiting for water to fall and give it life.
 Marques you said we could be long winded. Well I was.

Peace and love to all
          Roy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:01:46 AM by Roy Martin »

Extol

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »

Usually it's Christians who ask me this question, and I keep it very simple:

"I believe that [1] God is sovereign, and [2] Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world. Everything I believe can be summed up in those two things."

Of course, most of the time they don't realize how different that is from what they believe. They think they believe the same thing. "Oh yeah, I believe that too. That's cool."

If they want me to get more specific, or if they are curious about my "heretical" beliefs, I start with the Seven Scriptures from the Foundational Truths study [still my favorite study that Ray has ever done  :) ]:

[1] 1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.
[2] 1 Tim 2:3-6 For this is ideal and welcome in the sight of our Saviour, God, Who wills that all mankind be saved and come into a realization of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave Himself a ransom for all to be testified in due time.
[3] 1 Tim 4:10 We trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, especially of those who believe.
[4] 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
[5] Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure.
[6] 1 John 4:8 God is love.
[7] 1 Cor 13:8 Love NEVER FAILS.

Another good one to add to the list is Phillipians 2:13: "for God it is who is working in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure." [YLT]

daywalker

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »

Usually it's Christians who ask me this question, and I keep it very simple:

"I believe that [1] God is sovereign, and [2] Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world. Everything I believe can be summed up in those two things."

Superb!! Short, sweet, simple, and, as you said, sums up everything!! [if you don't mind, I may borrow this some day... :D]

Daywalker  8)

Extol

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »

Soitenly!  ;D

Astrapho

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »

Extol: Woot! Mind if I borrow it too?

I don't have much of a testimony, and I don't like "discussions" (which always end up as debates)... So what Extol said would be short, sweet, and... Well, sweet.  :D ;D

Samson

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »

A good and wonderful question Marques.
 When or if we are ever asked this question, in most cases we aren't sitting behind our computers with e-sword or quick verse, or Rays material. We either have to have a good memory of the scriptures and Rays teachings of which most of us know that very few believe the scriptures and want to argue or prove us wrong. My memory isn't what it use to be so I have to go with how God has worked in me and changed me, yet I'm not completely without some verses and some of Rays teachings.
  I tell someone that I use to believe if there was a God that He was mean and cruel and more violent than any human could imagine. How could I change my mind about this and start believing in a God of love and compassion?
 What do I believe? I believe in a God of love and compassion, A Fatherly love that will not torture His children that He created for His purpose. I believe that God is in complete control. Always has been and always will be.I believe that Jesus came and died for all of us, and not just a few that on their own choose Him. I can go on and on with what I believe now that I use to not believe at all.
 Why do I believe it? This is where I share as many testimony's as I can with a passion that no one can argue or deny. I tell them about how God opened my eye's and called me out of Babylon. This is where I'm accused of listening to the wrong voice and am being deceived by Satan. I answer with, why then am I seeking God more than ever before? Why am I closer to God than ever before? God doesn't ask me for money to support His kingdom like the pastors that claim God will bless me for giving and supporting their man made temples.God is in my heart mind and soul. I don't need a man in his temple to give me what God is giving me since He called me to believe in Him. He first led me to Babylon to show me the lies and deceit. I didn't find God in a building. I felt Him in my heart. He called me, and chose me. I use to hate Him. How could I have changed on my own?
 Its exactly as you have stated Marques that its in how we live that speaks louder than words. Its how I use to live and believe to how I live and believe now for why I believe in what I believe, and it's God that did it, not me. No non believer can argue or try to prove a living testimony to be wrong. If someone is sincere in wanting to know the truth rather than debate, then all the above would be applied with Bibletruths web site.
 God has changed me, but not through yet. He will change all of us when the time comes.His love, His way, and time.
 When God blinds someone to see only black and white, then there is not one single scripture one can quote to them, or show them that will make them see the color of love and truth. To date no one has ever argued or tried to prove that my testimony's are just black and white. You haven't heard but just a few, but when I'm asked, I lay all of them out giving them no time to interrupt, and all they can do is nod their head and say yes there is no doubt that God has done these things in you, no if and or buts. Even the people I left behind in Babylon that know me personally can't and won't argue with my testimony's. They saw me come, they saw me fall many times, they saw God pick me up each time, and they know that I left them to their beliefs of which they will disagree with, but they see and hear a passion in me that I know is a seed that has to make them wonder between the lines of black and white. A seed can remain dormant for many years waiting for water to fall and give it life.
 Marques you said we could be long winded. Well I was.

Peace and love to all
          Roy

Roy,

That is True, you usually aren't asked questions when prepared and sitting with your Bible in hand, Strongs Dictionary, Ray's Articles, etc, etc. I answer from memory. My many years as a JW was not without benefit in learning some tools regarding speaking to others. Although they don't have the truth, that gave me some experience in speaking with others. I have found that a good portion of these people we might engage in discussion with just want to debate, they are goading us, they really don't want to to hear your proofs. In most cases, I am able to discern that early on, hence my reply about showing a good example mentioned in the Thread in Off topic Discussions(The Man has lost it), regarding Hell No. To Illustrate: About a year ago I gave a full explanation to a Born again Christian relative on my beliefs explaining; We don't have Free Will, Salvation of All, God created Evil, using many Scriptures, defining Greek Words, Paraphrasing Ray's material and did it quite thoroughly and even explaining that this wasn't meant as a debate, but only as explanation. I reviewed this exchange of Emails with this person last night and thought of this Post(your Post). Their response to this demonstrated they didn't get it and they were more concerned with something related to my character claiming that I lied to them by not reporting to them that I was Married and had been for a year. They felt that they were entitled to this knowledge and by not telling them, I had lied. So, the point of all this above is that if someone doesn't think your behaving like a Christian, all the concise and thorough explanation doesn't matter to them. Secondly, if they didn't accept or understand this explanation and didn't ask further questions regarding your beliefs, there's no point in continuing, it's Spiritually fruitless.

Furthermore, A guy I work with knows my stand from prior discussions, he only brings things up in passing waiting for a response, I don't give him one or correct what he said because he's not asking for my view, he wants to debate, he's already demonstrated that, I think many people get an emotional rush from it. Even Jesus at times kept silent when dealing with the Religious leaders of his day, he'd answer them when they were trying to trap him with a question, but he didn't continue with fruitless debating. I'm usually able to discern whether or not someone just wants to debate or sincerely is searching for an answer. If I don't have the answer in my pocket, I will search Ray's material for one or honestly say " I don't know."

Hey Roy, I guess I was definitely long winded, ;), but your Post incited me to respond.

Kind Regards & carry on, Samson.

LiberatedEagle

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »

When or if we are ever asked this question, in most cases we aren't sitting behind our computers with e-sword or quick verse, or Rays material. We either have to have a good memory of the scriptures and Rays teachings of which most of us know that very few believe the scriptures and want to argue or prove us wrong.

Why do I believe it? This is where I share as many testimony's as I can with a passion that no one can argue or deny.

Roy, I was thinking along the same lines. I often times talk to my friends about what I believe and why. One of my friends said to me the other week that going in depth by quoting scriptures is too much for him because he doesn't understand the bible enough to plausibly agree with my understanding. However, he was intrigued by the conversation and I began to recall with him events that happened in my life. I grew up with this particular friend so he remembers a couple of things that happened and acknowledges that it was more than mere luck that got me out of precarious situations. Sharing my testimony kind of laid a foundation for the conversation which in turn made him more open to receive why I believe what I believe. I believe it's in Psalms where it says let the redeemed of the lord say so. I believe sometimes our testimony itself is powerful enough to break through to someone because they can see and feel the genuineness of what God has done for and through you.

Whenever I am presented the opportunity to share my faith with a person who wants to sit down and go over scripture. I refer to Paul's experience, how he determined in his mind to do one thing and God had something else in mind. How God has the ability to reach any of His creatures because He made them and He knows what makes them tick. If he knows how to reach the worst sinner, how much more the puny sinners of the world. I also refer to Ezekiel ch. 36 and 37 where God teaches us that he will give us a heart of flesh for His sake and will cause us to do His will. Though the children of Israel experienced many of the wondrous works of God they still died in sin. However, God showed Ezekiel that the dry bones were the whole house of Israel and though they couldn't obey God because of their heart of stone, God was going to resurrect them and cause them to do His will. God being a just God and not a respecter of persons will not cause one group of people to do His will and not ultimately cause His whole creation to do the same. The children of Israel in Ezekiel 37 represents all of mankind. Believe it or not I've had one friend who actually received this and still doesn't believe that the church is enemies of the cross by preaching an eternal hell. I know and understand that if God wants her to see the whole truth and nothing but the truth He will reveal it to her.

To be honest those are the scriptures I refer to the most, though there are plenty of more scriptures that shows God's plan for us. One thing I do know as well is that He will finished what He started in us because He is the author and finisher of our faith.

Great Topic!

Charles
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:49:49 PM by LiberatedEagle »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.