bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I noticed the 23 Psalm  (Read 3896 times)

dogcombat

I noticed the 23 Psalm
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:44 PM »

Reading the KJV account of the 23rd Psalm made me pause to consider why people may get the wrong meaning of it.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Young's Literal translation has

1A Psalm of David. Jehovah [is] my shepherd, I do not lack,

2In pastures of tender grass He causeth me to lie down, By quiet waters He doth lead me.

3My soul He refresheth, He leadeth me in paths of righteousness, For His name's sake,

4Also -- when I walk in a valley of death-shade, I fear no evil, for Thou [art] with me, Thy rod and Thy staff -- they comfort me.

5Thou arrangest before me a table, Over-against my adversaries, Thou hast anointed with oil my head, My cup is full!

6Only -- goodness and kindness pursue me, All the days of my life, And my dwelling [is] in the house of Jehovah, For a length of days!

What stood out is KJV saying the Lord is my Shepard I SHALL NOT WANT.
This may give a casual bible reader the impression that one may NOT want to the Lord to be your Shepard.  Young's says I SHALL NOT LACK.  To me, Young's is a better translation (though I didn't study what the Hebrew text said),  because who, except the extremely carnal minded, WOULDN'T want the Lord to be Their Shepard?  

Yes he makes us lie down, and leads us as Ray noted in the "Myth Of Free Will" about Jeremiah 10:23 "...it is NOT in man that walketh to direct his steps."  

Has anybody else noticed the confusion the King James translation brings to this verse?

Ches
"A work in progress"

Harryfeat

I noticed the 23 Psalm
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:02:40 PM »

Hello Ches,

Though worded strangely, I always took the phrase, I shall not want to mean that the shepherd will take care of my needs and I shall not go wanting for anything.

I can see how it could be interpreted differently.

feat

SandyFla

Re: I noticed the 23 Psalm
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »

Quote from: dogcombat
What stood out is KJV saying the Lord is my Shepard I SHALL NOT WANT. This may give a casual bible reader the impression that one may NOT want to the Lord to be your Shepard.

LOL, that's what I thought it meant when I was a little kid. Somehow, though, I knew that couldn't be right. I thought I must be reading it wrong!  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.