bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jury Duty  (Read 3996 times)

gallenwalsh

Jury Duty
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:10 PM »

Just been elected for Jury duty once again. Every three years so so I have had to go through this process. I have actually been able to avoid serving so far.I have observed the process on a jury selection in a murder trial and was surprised and impressed as to how painfully and articulately the selection process is when a life is on the line.I have seen some travesties as well. As far as the system in general goes I think it is disgustingly corrupt. and as far as swearing on a bible goes to be sworn in is even more disgusting. As if anyone was even remotely concerned as to how God felt or that they are representing God in any way. I have always dreaded the thought of having to be sworn in because I think I may just loose it. I'm not sure if I could even do it.I think I would just have to say I'll pass and you'll just have to take my word for it. I studied with JW's for a little while when I was very young I know this is an issue with them. I never really bought most  of their stuff anyway. Gave me nightmares. However, since just living, and having logged a few years, has opened my eyes to our beloved moronic system.Any scriptural references to this type of thing. What does that scripture mean when it says not to swear by anything in heaven or earth, or make a vow, just say ne' or ye'. I always thought this was referring to just making promises or vows that you cannot keep to God. I think the JW just took it too literally and applied it to everything. Like not taking blood, giving insulin to a diabetic things like that. Funny how old feelings creep up on you . Especially since turning my back on religion in general, seems like I have to go back and take care of unfinished business dealing with doubts and worries from the past.Even my childhood. Any comments appreciated.!!

musicman

Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »

Just cross your fingers.  God will know what you mean.  Besides, we are to obey the laws of the land unless you really believe that you are going against God's laws.  As far as jury duty?  I don't like the way these smart a@@ lawers are able to control our lives by keeping us there as long as they please for their purposes.  But at least it's harder to buy people off when juries of peers are used.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »

Hi gallenwalsh,

This excerpt from the article 'the Sermon on the Mount...' give a good explanation about vows and oaths.

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D3.htm -------------------------

[4] "Again you have heard that it has been said by them of old time, You shall not forswear yourself, but shall perform unto the Lord your oaths" (Matt. 5:33). Now this one I thought for sure was doing away with the old and contradicting the old, when Jesus said, "But I say unto you, Swear NOT AT ALL... but let your communication be, Yea, yea: and Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these comes of evil" (Vers 34-37).

Under Moses Israel was allowed to swear by God's name only: "You shall fear the LORD thy God; him shall thou serve, and to him shall thou cleave, and swear by His name" (Deut. 10:20).

They could not swear in the name of any other gods: "...neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them" (Jos. 23:7).

One could swear only by the Name of God, and never falsely: "And ye shall not swear by My name falsely, neither shall thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD" (Lev. 19:12).

Pay attention to the words. The first "you have heard" statement has absolutely nothing to do with whether one should swear or not swear. It has to do with lying to God. Let's read it again: "You shall not forswear [Gk; opiorkeo-'swear falsely or commit perjury' ], but shall perform [Gk: apodidomi 'deliver, pay, render' ], unto the Lord your oaths." Moses said that anyone who swore, had to perform what they swore, and not lie or perjure themselves: "That which is gone out of your lips you shall keep and perform..." (Deut. 23:23).

Again, "And you shall not swear by My name falsely..." (Lev.19:12).

And again: "If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth" (Num. 30:2). But notice the word "IF." It was not a commandment that all men and all women MUST SWEAR. Even an unconditional vow IS an oath (swearing), see Vine's Concise Dictionary of Bible Words. But, notice that swearing oaths are not requirements of God for all to do:

"When you shall vow a vow unto the Lord your God, you shall not slack to PAY IT... But if you shall forbear [abstain] to vow, it shall be NO SIN IN YOU" (Deut. 23:21-22).

Failing to uphold one's oath or vow was the very sin that Ananias and Sepphira committed before Peter. They "said" that they would give the price of a parcel of land to the Apostles. But after they sold it they "kept back part of the price." They did NOT "perform unto the lord their oath." And for this God killed them-their "whole body shall be cast into hell [Gehenna]" in the day of Judgment, because of this sin of "lying to the Holy Spirit." (Acts 5:1-11). They didn't need to vow in the first place. Had they simple sold their property (without first making a great swelling gesture of benevolence before the apostles), and given part of the proceeds to the apostles, nothing more would have happened.

Here is a perfect example of how "But I say unto you, 'Swear not at all'" would have saved their lives.

Notice what Peter told Ananias:

"While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own power? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? [why did you make an oath?] you have not lied unto men, but unto God" (Verse 4).

In other words, If you had not sworn before men that you will give this gift to God, you would not be held accountable for that oath. Now you are accountable. Now they shall die for lying to God. So, "don't swear at all," and you will not perjure yourself, should you not be able to deliver on your promise.

Why did Jesus instruct them to not swear by "heaven, earth, Jerusalem, by your head?" Because these are all things that the Scribes and Pharisees swore by, and the disciples were steeped in the false religion of these leaders. As the Pharisees knew from experience that they often could not follow through on their oaths to God, they started to swear by things other than "God's Name." They started to swear by things only somewhat related to God, so that when they broke their word they could claim that they never did "swear by MY name."

Jesus sharply rebuked them for such nonsense in Matt. 23:16-23 where they swore by, the temple, the gold, the altar, the altar gifts, heaven, etc."

Peter swore before Jesus: "Peter said unto Him, Though I should DIE with Thee, yet will I not deny Thee. "Likewise said also ALL THE DISCIPLES" (Matt. 26:36). They ALL SWORE. A few hours later Peter swore again: "Then began he [Peter] to CURSE AND TO SWEAR, saying, I know NOT THE MAN..." (Matt. 26:74) "Then ALL THE DISCIPLES FORSOOK HIM, and fled" (Ver. 56).

No wonder James later wrote: "But above all things, my brethren, SWEAR NOT, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea and your nay, nay; lest ye fall [as ALL of them did] into condemnation" (James 5:12). James was there that night. James was one who thought he could "perform his oath unto the Lord." But James found out that without God in him, he had no such power, and I am sure this event embarrassed James all the days of his life, and that is the reason he writes to us, "But above all things, my brethren, SWEAR NOT..."

Failing to keep an oath sworn before God breaks the 3rd commandment as well, and takes God's Name in vain. Well then, what is one way we can keep from doing this? "swear not at all." Why? "...because you can't make one hair white or black" (Matt. 5:36). Jesus said not to swear by anything, "neither by heaven, earth, Jerusalem, your head..." (Verses 34-36). Neither should we swear: "on a stack of Bibles," "on your life," "on your children's lives," or "your grandmother's grave."
---------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:07 AM »

Tell the judge and the prosecuting attorney that your a member of the Fully Informed Jury Association (FIJA) and they will dismiss you and escourt you to the door so fast it will make your head spin.   ;D

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »

We should be mindful of the 'advice' we attempt to give one another. Especially in matters of what is breaking the law and what is not.

Long story short, let's try not to get so worked up about things that are TEMPORARY.

1 Cor 11:31  For if we would judge [G1252 - 'discern, seperate, make a distinction'] ourselves, we should not be judged.

1 Cor 6:2  Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.