bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with KJV archaic language  (Read 4993 times)

Vangie

Help with KJV archaic language
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

This page explains grammar and usage of the archaic terminology of the KJV.  I found it very helpful and thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.kjv-only.com/theethou.html

Love in Christ,
Vangie

cherokee

Re: Help with KJV archaic language
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »

Thank you Vangie for sharing.  :)
I think it will be most helpful.

Blessings,
Suzie

Samson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »

Hi Vangie,

Personally, I prefer not to use Translations with Archaic Words, usually use the NKJV or the NWT, sometimes my Rotherham's. However, that was thoughtfull and good that you provided that reference for our benefit, especially for those who prefer those Translations.

Thanks, Samson.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

It's very hard (and probably not all that advantageous) to get completely away from the KJV.  Most of the best study aides and concordances (Strong's as a prime example) relate to the KJV.  And since most of us grew up hearing and/or reading that version, we'd be lost trying to use Esword to locate scripture by search-word without a version of the KJV.   :D

As Ray has said, if they had translated aion and it's relatives correctly, and translated Hell consistently and properly, then the KJV is a very good translation.  This link should be a fine aide in getting over the hump of 400 years of English language evolution.  Thanks for posting it,  Vangie. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Vangie

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »

I'm glad some are finding it beneficial.  It is really interesting to note that whenever there's a "ye" or "you", it's meant in a plural sense, as in reference to a group, not just one single person.  That changes the dynamic of the passage used on the link as an example, and there are probably countless others that can be understood a little more thoroughly by just learning the thees and thous in the here and now. 

I'll have to re-read and study it a bit more for it to sink in; the noggin doesn't absorb as much as it used to--I need a Sham Wow in my brain. :D 

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »

Hey Vangie...I could use on of those Sham Wow's too!! hehe!!  :D
Kathy ;)

barrabus

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »

Interesting... gives a whole new meaning to John 3:12... I never noticed... it seems that the more I learn the more I realize how little I know... and more shall be revealed...awesome...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.