bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Good movies?  (Read 16284 times)

shibboleth

Good movies?
« on: June 16, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »

I find it hard to find a good movie anymore. Most movies have so much filthy language, sexual situations, violence or disdain for anything to do with God. I thought, why not start a thread of the really good movies and why they are worth watching.

My newspaper put out a list of the 100 most inspiring movies. I will list the top ten here and see if anyone has seen them and what you like or dislike about them.
1. It's a Wonderful Life 1946
2. To Kill a Mockingbird 1962
3. Schlindler's List 1993
4. Rocky 1976
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 1939
6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestial 1982
7. The Grapes of Wrath 1940
8. Breaking Away 1979
9. Miracle on 34th Street 1947
10. Saving Private Ryan 1998

You could also talk about movies not on the list, this is just to get the ball rolling.

Every Christmas, for about 5 years, I would watch "Christmas Story." This is a movie about Ralphie, a 10 year old boy, who wants a Red Rider BB gun more than anything in the world. His mother tells him he'll shoot his eye out. It has that Midwest charm and takes place in the cold winter there.It has many side stories,as any good movie does, and it is a really good family movie. I have seen it so many times, I just don't want to watch it anymore. But, if you haven't seen it, it is simply delightful.

zander

Good movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:14:33 PM »

Well some of my favourute movies do have large elements of violence in them. However, here are some that dont that are amongst the best movies i have ever seen

The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
ANy Laurel and Hardy Movie (for me, the funniest ever)

eutychus

Good movies?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »

i saw  end of the spear, its good.

also:

frequency :P  :P  :P

where the heart is. :P  :P  :P  :P

remember me. :P  :P  :P .5

time bandits :P  :P .5

to name a few. :wink:

Sorin

Good movies?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »

Saw

Saw II

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Hellraiser (series)

Hostel

The Omen

Do not miss.

No, I'm kidding. Avoid these movies. :lol:

I'll make a list later. The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemtion are two good movies, I agree with Zander on that.

ciy

Good movies?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:55:10 PM »

End of the Spear is good, but after watching that watch Beyond the Gates of Splendor which is a great documentary on the real event.

CIY

zander

Good movies?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

Hostel is a great movie though

eutychus

Good movies?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »

Quote from: zander

i tore my passport up after watching that movie :lol:

love_magnified

Good movies?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »

I still like Passion of the Christ.

Searching for Bobby Fischer
Schindler's List
Amadeus
Rain Man
Adaptation
Dark City
About Schmidt
Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
Basquiat
Being John Malkovich
Braveheart
The Breakfast Club
Changing Lanes
Citizen Cane
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fargo
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption

and on and on...

eutychus

Good movies?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »

excellent list.

i for got:::

the patriot

gladiator. :P  :P  :P  :P

happy gilmor  :P

caddyshack.

oooh ohhh  cant beleive i forgot.

o brother where art thou

Sorin

Good movies?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »

Quote from: zander

Oh, Zander I wasn't saying "avoid these" because they suck. I just meant avoid these if you don't want to see a movie with that's "filthy language, sexual situations, violence or disdain for anything to do with God".  :wink:

YellowStone

Good movies?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »

Gosh most of the good movies are already listed.

I liked:

Erin Brockovich

The Man from Snowy River I & II

Toy Story I & II

Independence Day

Conspiracy Theory

Rob Roy

Nell

Quiggly Downunder[/list:u]These are all pretty clean....

Yellowstone

rvhill

Re: Good movies?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
I find it hard to find a good movie anymore. Most movies have so much filthy language, sexual situations, violence or disdain for anything to do with God. I thought, why not start a thread of the really good movies and why they are worth watching.

My newspaper put out a list of the 100 most inspiring movies. I will list the top ten here and see if anyone has seen them and what you like or dislike about them.
1. It's a Wonderful Life 1946
2. To Kill a Mockingbird 1962
3. Schlindler's List 1993
4. Rocky 1976
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 1939
6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestial 1982
7. The Grapes of Wrath 1940
8. Breaking Away 1979
9. Miracle on 34th Street 1947
10. Saving Private Ryan 1998

You could also talk about movies not on the list, this is just to get the ball rolling.

Every Christmas, for about 5 years, I would watch "Christmas Story." This is a movie about Ralphie, a 10 year old boy, who wants a Red Rider BB gun more than anything in the world. His mother tells him he'll shoot his eye out. It has that Midwest charm and takes place in the cold winter there.It has many side stories,as any good movie does, and it is a really good family movie. I have seen it so many times, I just don't want to watch it anymore. But, if you haven't seen it, it is simply delightful.

Christmas Story is great, and I have seen them all. SPR is a war movie so it is very bloody, but it is good. if you like realistic war movies the Thin Red Line, and the Band of Brothers mini series is better.  Schlindler's List  is also Bloody brutal and very sad, but it is easily in the top 5 best movies ever made. That list you listed is for the most inspiring movies.  Schlindler's List also made the top five best list. I am not a fan of It's a Wonderful Life 1946 or ET thought. If you want to watch a really good inspiring movie Gandhi is right up there.

Gandhi
Brother Sun Sister Moon: is the best movie about Christianity ever. It is the story of Saint Frances, it not really historically accurate, but what it says is great.

Have you seen Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments (they are both great fun.)

Key Largo
We're No Angels
The Caine Mutiny
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Casablanca  
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (there is a reason some say Humphrey Bogart  was the greatest actor ever. Even though there were actor who were better at acting then him.)

how big of a list do you want?

shibboleth

Good movies?
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »

Thanks for all the movie listings. I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre one time. I had trouble sleeping for a week and the images took forever to leave my brain.  It is based on a man named Ed Gein who killed women and dismembered him in his home. Psyco is based on Ed Gein and Silence of the Lambs too.

I didn't mean you couldn't list violent movies as your favorites. It was just that I am trying to avoid them if I can. I know Schneidler's List is somewhat violent, but it's part of the historical aspect of the times and is used for a greater good.

I also love Alfred Hitchcock movies. Have you seen The Rope? That's a suspensful one and it takes place in one setting.

My favorite funny movie is It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. The skits are hilarious.

I read Where the Fern Grows as an adult. I was told it was a real tear jerker. It didn't get sad until the end and I bawled my eyes out. I don't think I saw the movie, so I will try to find it at the video store.

I saw Shawshank Redeption many times and I can't think of any of the characters names. Having a senior moment, only they last all year.

Thanks for the movie recommendations. I just want a basic list to start with because there are so many movies I haven't seen.

all4love

Good movies?
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »

The movies listed are some really good movies, some I have seen some not.  I have to admit I am mainly a horror/Thriller movie fanatic.  However, I also some some fun movies as well (especially since I have a 5 year old)
Ice Age (haven't seen the second one unfortunately)
Wizard of OZ (mine and my son's favorite)
Nemo

We also like the Star Wars movies.

I was just wondering though, has anyone seen Stigmata?  and if so what did you think of that one?

gmik

good movies
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 09:21:45 PM »

I can watch Foul Play with Goldi Hawn & Chevy Chase over and over.

National Lampoon's Christmas is a favorite as is Elf and the one with the BB gun.

Haven't been to the movies in ages.  But I do like "Chick Flicks"-light hearted romantic comedies.  I hate things like Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers!  Gross!

I Like the older who-done-its without any perversion and demonic stuff.

Didn't want to see Stigmata.

At the moment there is not one movie out that I would bother to go see.

rvhill

Good movies?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
Thanks for all the movie listings. I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre one time. I had trouble sleeping for a week and the images took forever to leave my brain.  It is based on a man named Ed Gein who killed women and dismembered him in his home. Psyco is based on Ed Gein and Silence of the Lambs too.  

The original TCM does not show much violence. Just like Psycho, they both just work on imagination. In part it is why most scary movies today are not as scary, they show to much. They just do not stimulate the imagination, and there for are less scary.

I also love Alfred Hitchcock movies. Have you seen The Rope? That's a suspensful one and it takes place in one setting.

My favorite funny movie is It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. The skits are hilarious.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is one of the funnest movies ever. it has to be on my top ten list.
 the great race
 Some Like It Hot
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
 What About Bob?  
 Groundhog Day  
Young Frankenstein
 Stir Crazy
 Dr. Strangelove  
The Blues Brothers

I read Where the Fern Grows as an adult. I was told it was a real tear jerker. It didn't get sad until the end and I bawled my eyes out. I don't think I saw the movie, so I will try to find it at the video store.

I saw Shawshank Redeption many times and I can't think of any of the characters names. Having a senior moment, only they last all year.

rvhill

Re: good movies
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 03:14:01 PM »

Quote from: gmik
I can watch Foul Play with Goldi Hawn & Chevy Chase over and over.

National Lampoon's Christmas is a favorite as is Elf and the one with the BB gun.

Haven't been to the movies in ages.  But I do like "Chick Flicks"-light hearted romantic comedies.  I hate things like Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers!  Gross!

if you like Chick flicks watch All about Eve. it is easily the greatest chick flick ever.

eutychus

Good movies?
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

i watched the new movie 16 blocks.

it was real good and better than i thought.

a good story of redemtion.

Indagator

Good movies?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 10:05:06 PM »

Ahh, The Rope!  That was a good one Shibb :D .  Most of my favorites are from the 70's on up, but that reminded me of another Jimmy Stewart film...Shiloh.  I was a civil war buff years ago so I love that movie too. Hmm let me think up some old movies my mom used to watch...

Shiloh
Spencer's Mountain
About any Lee Marvin flick (Paint your wagon, The Dirty Dozen)
Von Ryan's express
Rooster Cogburn
A Man Called Horse
Anything written by Truman Capote
What was the one with the big pink submarine starring Henry Fonda?
more than I can name really...

There was one that I can't remember the name of...it starred Dustin Hoffman as a guy who was captured by Cheyanne or maybe Souix indians and was basically raised within the tribe.  I specifically remember the name "Little Bear" involved.  I think General Custer was involved too, but not sure because it's been so long.  Anyone have a clue?

Right now, I am watching "Lady and the Tramp"  :D

knuckle

Good movies?
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 10:33:42 PM »

Hi all-------

sci-fi,fantasy,adventure and westerns I like stories of good vs evil especially if the guys in the white hats win.

Man vs nature--castaway,the perfect storm,twister

I like the comicbook films--batman,spiderman etc.

John Wayne,Clint Eastwood ---  cowboy films

three of my all time favourites----Jaws(the Brody,quint,hooper interactions),Oh Brother where art thou?(wonderfully funny and the music was great),The outlaw Josey Wales(Cheif Dan George stole the glory in this film)

I find the older I get that films like music take on a sense of nastalgia.A movie really can be less then great but it can get identified with a good time in my life and gain a star or two in the ratings.My daughter (she is 16 now) was a very fussy baby.Who framed Rodger rabbitt will always remain dear to my heart cause I could pop the tape in the vcr and lay the baby on a blanket in front of the tv and rodger could stop those whiney tears and she would be giggling and cooing in about a minute flat.

The drive in was playing ET the first time I kissed the woman who would become that whiney babies(and four others)momma so that ugly little alien is also a favourite of mine.

World war 2 films----my father landed at Normandy and was wounded in france I remember watching these films with him,the stories he told of lost friends and praying in foxholes(I think he found his faith there among falling bombs and flying bullets)he took two in the back and one in the face but he came home with alot more than he lost.He is passed on now along with mom but I will see them again one day.

I saved the best for last----The Passion of Christ --- I watch this film and realise that NO ONE loves me like He does.

much love---------knuckle
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 16 queries.