bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete Word Study  (Read 6646 times)

Brett

Complete Word Study
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:13:16 PM »

Hello,

I am wondering if you have The Complete Word Study by Spiros Zodhiates? If so, I am curious what he say about aion and aionios.

Thank you!

Brett

shibboleth

Complete Word Study
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:25:11 PM »

I do have Spiros Zodhiates Hebrew/Greek Study Bible. It has Strongs concordence and many helps. If you could tell me what scripture verses you are looking at, I could look them up and get back to you. This may not be the book you are referring to, but it's  the one I have.

Brett

Complete Word Study
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »

shibboleth

The Greek aion and aionios belong to age or eon, never mean endless like eternal, everlasting, etc. I am looking for what Zodhiates say of this, whether he support aion/aionios belong to eternal or age. I plan to buy them but I wanted see what he say of aion/aionios. If he say that it is eternal, then I am not interesting buy them. I am looking for sincerely scholars.

You can look in John 3:16 and Philemon 1:15, they have aionios in verses. Let me know what they say of Greek.

I appreciate your help!

shibboleth

Complete Word Study
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:06 PM »

Hi Brett,
I just got done looking up everlasting on e-sword and it's number 166most of the time, and 126 sometimes. Spiros doesn't comment on everlasting but he does believe in hell.  Here are his comments on Luke16:20 about the rich man and Lazarus. "From all evidence, Lazarus was suffering from leprosy and had wounds which were open and visible, licked by the dogs. The idea that the Lord wanted to convey is that no person, who on seeing dogs showing a greater compassion toward a helpless animal than he himself and remains indifferent deserves heaven or is in any stretch of the imagination a believer."

This Bible I have by Zodhiates was published in 1984. But, unless he has changed his mind he believes in a hell of torment.

I find it strange that he could say anyone deserves heaven. I certainly don't. And I really don't if it's based on my works, which are filthy rags according to Christ.

Brett

Complete Word Study
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 12:21:37 AM »

Hi shibboleth

Yeah, I see what you mean. There are no Hell in Greek manuscript anywhere. Seem like Zodhiates believe aion/aionios is not eternal but believe in Hell.

Really, Hell for Greek word is Hades which mean unseen, unknown, no experience, etc. Rich man and Lazarus were parable, not literal.

And about Heaven, there are no mentions of people go to heaven in scriptures. (Resurrection will be on earth).

So, is Zodhiates saying about the people who go to Hell for age/eon and not for eternal?

Did he mention of aion/aionios despite of everlasting? If so, did he say of age, eon or period of time?

shibboleth

Complete Word Study
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »

He makes no mention of aion or eon in his bible. He uses Strongs concordance and the numbers keyed to the particular words in scriptures.
He has a section in the back of the Bible called "grammatical notations." this section tells what the different tenses of grammar are in Greek.

Aidios: from aei (104), ever, always. Eternal, absolutely, without beginning or end. (Rom.1:20) Perpetual, without end.(Jude6)

This is all he has in my Bible. If you want his study Bible for study of Greek or Hebrew, you may want this Bible. I don't use it much anymore because I have e-sword and it's so much handier. Hope this helps.

Daniel

Complete Word Study
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 12:31:21 PM »

Aidios: from aei (104), ever, always. Eternal, absolutely, without beginning or end. (Rom.1:20) Perpetual, without end.(Jude6)

Actually these sound more like descriptions of the Spirit of truth who "abideth" in us.

"Age abiding" in that respect. "Without beginning and end". "Ever" present, "always" interceding and "perpetual".

In relation to "eternal life" (or whichever "word" one choses to use). He is instumental (who abideth) making known the the things which "pertain to God" (who is) "unseen". That which is "imperceptible" by the "natural man" is by His Spirit given us "to know".

Makes sense in whichever "word" one choses to use, especially when you see "who" it is applied to. We are given the Spirit "to know" who bares witness with our spirit we are the Sons of God, led by Him.

You can "work it out" through whichever book one uses if you can get past wrestling over the concrete words. Compare elsewhere from "within the verse" to "other verses" expressing the same thought concerning "the life" that "now is" and "abideth in us".

Peace

Daniel

Brett

Complete Word Study
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
He makes no mention of aion or eon in his bible. He uses Strongs concordance and the numbers keyed to the particular words in scriptures.
He has a section in the back of the Bible called "grammatical notations." this section tells what the different tenses of grammar are in Greek.

This is all he has in my Bible. If you want his study Bible for study of Greek or Hebrew, you may want this Bible. I don't use it much anymore because I have e-sword and it's so much handier. Hope this helps.

I have e-sword, too. I assume you have The Complete Word Study by Spiros Zodhiates in your e-sword? It cost $40 to get those because of AMG Publisher. That is reason why I wanted know what is in before I can buy them.

I have Ray Smith and other man discussion of adios. Though, you would like to read. There are no eternal anywhere in Hebrew and Greek manuscript, not once. We do have immortality in scripture which mean never death, that is good news!  O:)

Dear Mr. Ray:

Greetings to you in Jesus’ name. I must tell you that some of your writings have caused me to think and reflect on my own theological assumptions. That’s always a good thing.

I would like to know why the Concordant Literal Translation translates the Greek word aidios, which appears in Romans 1:20 and Jude 6 to mean “imperceptible� or “unperceived,� when both Young and Strong translate that word to mean “everlasting� or “eternal�. Why this difference between the Concordant and the other literal translation? Isn’t the word “imperceptible� used in the Concordant to refer to hades? But hades is not the word used in these two references; it is aidios. In the case of Romans 1:20, it makes sense to attribute eternality (aidios) to God, because he alone is eternal. What about Jude 6? The Greek word used here is not aionios but aidios, the same word used in Romans 1:20. If aidios means that which is “perpetual� or “never ending,� does this mean that the “everlasting� chains in Jude 6 is, indeed, everlasting or eternal chains?

I would appreciate you clarifying this apparent discrepancy. Why is concordant translating the word aidios to mean “imperceptible?�

Blessings,

Abraham ..., Ph.D.

Dear Dr. Abraham:

There are approximately 150 emails ahead of your, and I probably never will get them all answered, but as your's is more interesting than most, I thought that I would put yours up front.

I never use Young's translation anymore. I can't see any rhym or reason for the way he often translates. And Dr. Strong is as guilty at times of square circles as are the theologians of Christendom.

The word translated "eternal" in Rom. 1:20 and "everlasting" in Jude 6 is the Greek word "aidion." It is not the Greek words "aionios" or "hades." It is, however virtually the same in meaning as "hades." Hades means "to not see or preceive," and aidion also means "to not see or preceive." It does not NOT mean "eternal" or "everlasting" anymoe than "hades" means "eternal" or "everlasting." Hades is a NOUN, and henced is translated as "the UNSEEN." Whereas "aidion" which means the same thing virtually, is an adjective and therefore is translated "IMPERCEPTIBLE," rather than unsceen, although they both have the same basic meaning of not being able to physically see or perceive something.

Now then, that is the technical explanation of how it should be translated, but here is additional proof as to WHY it would be translated as such.

In Rom. 1:20 we read: "For the INVISIBLE things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly SEEN, being understood by the THINGS THAT ARE MADE, even [ALSO, or also including the following...] His ETERNAL [?] power and Godhead [Gk: 'Divinity']...."

Notice that the verse starts off speaking of 'INVISIBLE' things, then then explains that these INVISIBLE things can be understood by THE THINGS THAT ARE MADE [visible things]. But the word "even" refers back to the same proposition. What follows is "even" the same as the previous things. What things? "INVISIBLE THINGS." So we are not speaking of how long God lives, or whether his nature is "eternal" or "everlasting," or any such concept. we are speaking of "INVISLBLE THINGS." And what is andother (even) one of these INVISIBLE THINGS? Why His "IMPERCEPTIBLE [invisible] POWER." Simple, huh?

Now Jude 6. How in the world could these angels' chains be "EVERLASTING chains" since they only apply "...UNTO [unto means "until" and is the same greek word translated "until" in other Scriptures] the judgment of the great day." How can something be "everlasting," "UNTIL?" See the point of the context? Since they are only held in these chains 'UNTIL' Judgment, is proof positive, that these chains are NOT ETERNAL OR EVERLASTING. But, the chains are most assuredly "imperceptible." These messengers are not wearing LITERAL, VISIBLE, PHYSICAL, METAL CHAINS.

Hope this helps your understanding.

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.