bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did Jerome wrote Hell?  (Read 5119 times)

Brett

Did Jerome wrote Hell?
« on: June 16, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

I am asking only if you know the history of Jerome in 382 A.D. who wrote Latin Vulgate Bible. He had many added words in Latin Bible even never found in original Greek manuscript. I am looking for Hell in Latin Bible, but couldn't find it. Did he write Hell in Latin Bible?

I know the original Greek manuscript never write in Hell. I'm just curious if Jerome added word in Hell. I like history.

Thanks!  :wink:

Indagator

Did Jerome wrote Hell?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:38:34 PM »

The Vulgate uses a few different words such as Inferus, Gehennam, and Tormentis.  Inferus is the one used to "generallly" apply to "hell", Gehennam is used obviously for "Gehenna", and Tormentis is used in cases like the story of the rich man and Lazarus....when someone is being "tormented in hell".

Brett

Did Jerome wrote Hell?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:29:32 AM »

Indagator

Thank you.

Was Vulgate (in approx 400 A.D.)  itself believe literal Hell as Christendom today?

Indagator

Did Jerome wrote Hell?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:38:02 AM »

As far as what was believed, I think the "Church" meaning what it began as, and what spun off from it (i.e. Catholocism, into Protestantism...basically all of "Christianity") all hold close to the same ideas of a punishment in the "aftertlife".  This is scripturally incorrect, but for some odd reason the majority of people who speak of an ever-loving God wish for some of us to burn in torment for all of eternity.  

Let's say you're a dad and your son asks you for bread.  Would you give him a stone?  If he asks for a fish, would you hand him a rattlesnake?

Why then does this "Church" hand you a stone or rattlesnake when it says it stands for an all loving Father?  Why would they want you to stumble, or drink poison?  They are from the evil one, but don't even know it themselves because he comes in disguise....a wolf among sheep.  And they are like their father...wolves amidst the sheep.  Atheists are no danger to you, nor Satanists, or any other "ists".  Your biggest dangers are those that call you "brother" and then betray you with a kiss.  Beware of the serpent that lies low in wait and tries to strike at your heel.  Be wary and crush it within.

Although Fundamentalism itself is a fairly recent development, yes I'm sure that people though of some sort of place of eternal carnal torment (hell..ha)  as being what's really really there even as they do now.  

I'm going to venture (without actual article backup mind you...I'm not a historian.  I'm an artist that's had a strong, strong interest in theology, the occult, and spiritual matters for a long time now) that yes, most likely back then the idea of a literal hell or place of neverending torment was taught. How better to keep the "sheep" in line than to make them believe they will suffer for an inconeivable amount of time for not following you?

What if I am the adversary?

Brett

Did Jerome wrote Hell?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:47:10 AM »

Indagator

Very good explain! I understand now better.

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.