bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are all creatures that move for food after Noah's Flood  (Read 10898 times)

cheekie3

Are all creatures that move for food after Noah's Flood
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:57:41 PM »

I am looking for a Scriptural answer for what we can eat and live healthily.

I thought that Genesis 9:3 confirms that we can eat everything that lives and moves so long as the blood is not in them when we eat them.

I take this to mean that meat should be well cooked.

Genesis 9:3 (Today's New International Version)

3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Am I missing something and misunderstanding this Scripture.

Thanks, Regards, cheekie3.

Linny

Re: Are all creatures that move for food after Noah's Flood
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »

Cheekie,
I will just give you my opinion.
After years of studying nutrition and going from vegan to vegetarian, back to what I think is a healthy balance, my take on it is this...
All things are "legal" to eat but not all things are good for us to eat.

I won't turn down pork at a dinner party for any "legal" reason but I do not choose to buy it and cook it because it has been proven (from my research) to not be good for me. I think God put pigs on His list of not eating because quite frankly they are so smart. I wouldn't eat a dog or cat and pigs are much smarter than they are.
Same with dolphins and whales.
I have a list in a book that basically showed all the meats in Leviticus that were listed as okay were healthy but the ones God told them not to eat were actually not good for us from the tests that they ran.
So, I LOVE shrimp for example. But I only eat it a couple times a year because I don't think it is a good choice.

I think man's "improvements" to the way livestock are raised, fed, processed are abusive to the animals and made the meat unheathy so we try to buy organic or free range or at least meat without steriods and antibiotics in it.

Like I said, this is my opinion and it took me years to come to this.

Lin

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »

Listen to or watch Dr. Steger's presentation from the conference if you have not done so yet.  It might prove to be an eyeopener for you.

cheekie3

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »

Arion - Thanks for this.

I have seen the Dr Steger video but there are no Scriptures mentioned.

How do we reconcile what Dr Steger says with the Scriptures at 1 Timothy 4:1 - 5?

1 Timothy 4 (Today's New International Version)

1 Timothy 4
 1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Regards, cheekie3.

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »

Hi cheekie3,

Take a look at these Scriptures, see if they answer how we should act or behave about any, and every, even little things.

2Co 5:14-21 (GNB)
14  We are ruled by the love of Christ, now that we recognize that one man died for everyone, which means that they all share in his death.
15  He died for all, so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but only for him who died and was raised to life for their sake.

16  No longer, then, do we judge anyone by human standards. Even if at one time we judged Christ according to human standards, we no longer do so.
17  Anyone who is joined to Christ is a new being; the old is gone, the new has come.

18  All this is done by God, who through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the task of making others his friends also.
19  Our message is that God was making all human beings his friends through Christ. God did not keep an account of their sins, and he has given us the message which tells how he makes them his friends.
20  Here we are, then, speaking for Christ, as though God himself were making his appeal through us. We plead on Christ's behalf: let God change you from enemies into his friends!
21  Christ was without sin, but for our sake God made him share our sin in order that in union with him we might share the righteousness of God.

george. :)

Linny

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:05:40 AM »

1Co 10:23

(ASV)  All things are lawful; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful; but not all things edify.

(CEV)  Some of you say, "We can do whatever we want to!" But I tell you that not everything may be good or helpful.

(CLV) All is allowed me, but not all is expedient. All is allowed me, but not all is edifying."

(ISV)  Everything is permissible, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible, but not everything builds up.

Stacey

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »

1Co 10:23

(ASV)  All things are lawful; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful; but not all things edify.

(CEV)  Some of you say, "We can do whatever we want to!" But I tell you that not everything may be good or helpful.

(CLV) All is allowed me, but not all is expedient. All is allowed me, but not all is edifying."

(ISV)  Everything is permissible, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible, but not everything builds up.

Amen! That nailed it down for me, time for a hamburger!  ;D
Stacey

Roy Martin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »

Can we choose how or when we are going to die, and what from or how, when God has a time and season for everything?  I can't prolong anything that God has preordained by giving up what  I eat or choose to eat. Am I wrong about this? I never thought about it like this until reading this thread. We think we can die sooner or live longer if we eat or don't eat something. What is wrong with this kind of thinking?

Roy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:51:57 PM by Roy Martin »

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »

I believe you are correct Roy.  You will do nothing unless God leads you there, so if I'm led to veganism then that is where God wants me at that time.  If I eat a hamburger today then I am where I am for a purpose.  Nothing I change will prolong my life 1 second more than God ordained from the foundation of the world.

Craig

Ninny

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »

I agree, Craig, but can we improve the QUALITY of our life? this is what I always ask myself because believe me I have been from one end of the spectrum to the other...I think we can improve maybe not the length of our life, but surely the quality by at least paying attention to the things we do...eating, drinking, playing, etc.. I mean if you eat until you make yourself sick..literally..that is something you could avoid..you may not prolong your life, but you can make your days appointed you more fulfilling and enjoyable by trying to stay healthy, yes??  :D if you engage in dangerous activities and break every bone in your body and live with horrible pain for the rest of your life...could you have avoided that? Well, ok, I guess if you didn't get mangled in a sky diving accident you could get mangled in a car accident which maybe you couldn't have avoided...just thinking...... :-\ but I think we can improve our quality of life by doing what Lin said...eating less of the bad stuff and sticking for the most part to the good! as far as it is possible..it isn't always possible sometimes you have to eat what you can afford!!
Kathy ;)

EKnight

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

Nothing I change will prolong my life 1 second more than God ordained from the foundation of the world.
Craig

However, it may be that God causes us to do things that may or may not prolong our lives.  If I quit smoking I not only improve the quality of days appointed to me, I may even be prolonging my days.  Therefore if God wills in me the desire and strength to quit smoking, then it is His will for me.  Quitting smoking, exercising, eating right, may all be the means in which Gods uses to achieve His end purpose.  :-\

Eileen

Craig

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »

Eileen,

I think that is what I alluded to earlier in my post.  If God ordains it it will happen.  If you smoke, how many times have you quit in the past?  When God wills it, it will be done in your life, you cannot will it yourself.  Though I admit our choices sometimes appear that we willed it.

Kathy, I agree.  Eating and doing healthy things will improve the quality of life, can you will yourself to persue these endeavors over a period of time to make that difference?  Who are we listening to about our choices, man?  Science?  If you make the choice to do anything it is because God has ordained it.  A football player would not have played and be in pain now unless he was always meant to do this from the foundation of the earth.  Could a man will himself otherwise?

As far as the more spiritual lesson in this.  Let's say I was an alcoholic.  I have a pretty strong will, I may be able to will/force myself to never drink again, but if every time I look at a drink I have the desire/lust for a drink, then I have not accomplished much in the eyes of God.  Yes, I may have improved the quality of my life, but my quality before God is the same as before.  We need to pray that we will make wise choices.  Jesus died for our sins, what is the matter with giving them to Him?  If we did we would have more room for Him in our lives and a little more of ourselves would be replaced by Him.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:45:56 PM by Craig »

aqrinc

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

What say The Scriptures; we really need to hear and leave the idols we cherish behind.

Mar 7:15-23 (CLV)
15 Nothing is there outside of a man, going into him, which can contaminate him, but those things going out of a man are what is contaminating the man."

16 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!"
17 And when He entered into the house from the throng, His disciples inquired of Him concerning the parable."

18 And He is saying to them, "Are you, also, thus unintelligent? Not yet are you apprehending that everything from the outside, that is going into a man, can not contaminate him,[/color]
19 for it is not going into his heart, but into the bowels, and is going out into the latrine - cleansing all foods?

20 Yet He said that "That which is going out of a man, that is contaminating the man."

21 For from inside, out of the heart of men, are going out evil reasonings, prostitutions, thefts, murders,
22 adulteries, greed, wickedness, guile, wantonness, a wicked eye, calumny, pride, imprudence."

23 All these wicked inside things are going out; and those are contaminating the man."

george :).

Ninny

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »

Craig, you are right, of course. Thank you for the reminder. God puts the desires in us..or takes them away! so if we desire for a better quality of life, God is the one who "gives us the desires of our hearts", yes? I pray that we all listen to God in all of it!
Thank you,too George for the scriptures.. :)
Kathy :)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »

Hi Cheekie.  I've always heard that the scripture about the blood in Genesis 9 referred to how the animal was butchered so that the blood was all spilled before being cooked.  But I've always heard a whole LOT of things that weren't true.   ;D

There is no 'list of foods' in the New Covenant given with the express purpose of telling anybody how to 'eat healthily'.  To my mind, discussion of food in the New Covenant scriptures is not about either prohibitions OR permissions, but about reminding us in different ways that "...the Kingdom of God is not in food or drink."

I've also heard that the Dietary Laws given in the Old Covenant Scriptures were given with the purpose of 'keeping Israel healthy'.  I have serious doubts about that too, but those laws are still in Scripture for you to read.  As best as I remember, they are largely in Leviticus, but they may be scattered in other books as well.  These are the laws which prohibit pork, and shellfish and other foods.  These are the basis of Jewish Kosher diets as well as the diets which observant Muslims follow.

There are probably resources which will give you a list of Jewish dietary law, or keeping 'Kosher', but since I don't follow it I've never attempted to look for one.   ;D

That said, even these laws are primarily against 'prohibited items' and not lists of food which are "good" to eat for our health.  In short, I think you are on your own as the rest of us are in finding and keeping to a healthy diet.  In sorting through the glut of information out there, all I can say is:  Good Luck!   ;D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:58:31 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Craig

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »

Yes! Kathy and pray, pray, pray.  Our Father is good, listen to that still, small voice and pray the way God directs us.

Craig

Marky Mark

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »

Gen 9:3 Into your hand are they given. "And every moving animal which is living is coming to be food for you. As the green herbage I give to you all.

I can't help to think that maybe our all knowing and wise Creator was not saying in Genesis9;3 that all living animals should be used as food but that all living animals could be used in more of a consuming[to bring under control]sort of way,that is,to be used in anyway that man sees fit, to help man in establishing human kind in more of a domestic or conquering way. Like farming,live stock,riding,beasts of burden[to help build],pets, etc.

Just as green herbage[such as trees]can represent more than just food,so can consuming of animals mean more than just something to eat.

Just a thought.

Peace...Mark

Linny

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »

I love common sense. Thank you for that Mark.
 ;D

olasupo jacobs

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »

Hi brethen, my opinion about this all creatures stuff is for us to recognized God's leading in this matter. That which came to be is of him and that which is not is also of him Php 2:13  for it is God who is working in you both to will and to work for the sake of His good pleasure.
His leading at each point in time is best for us "who has resisted (twarted) his purpose?".....none. At his preordained time you are fulling his purpose. He has ordained time for everything  both what is now and that which is to come, but be rest assured its all for goood, beneficial and purposeful. What and whether we eat is all to his glory. it might interest you to know that cannibalism still exist in some land, day old chicks and reptiles is a special delicacy in some Asian countries, here in Africa where am from some people eat maggots and some things you will find repulsive. ...moderation in all things and regard for conscience would be a simple rule to follow, and we are not allowed to judge based on food and other things that perish with use  Col 2:16  Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths, Col 2:17  which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ; ... stay blessed- Olasupo Shola

Linny

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »

Absolutely Olasupo! Did I miss your introduction? If so, let me welcome you now!
I had to learn early on that judging everyone who did things differently from me, was ridiculous and obviously wrong.
We changed so much as we learned that it would have been difficult to keep up with who to judge! LOL  ;) ;D

Lin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.